Going to San Fran - anything there? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > California

Old 04-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #16
James M
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I went to art school there (grew up in Fremont) - I miss the Powel Street cable car turnaround and walking up Powell first thing in the morning.
James M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #17
blueshark
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

You might also want to check out the lights on the Bay Bridge. There's a light show every night that's viewable from the Embarcadero. If you go to the Academy of Sciences, I would suggest you rent a bike afterwards and ride around the park if the weather is nice.
blueshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:02 AM   #18
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Just want to second the bit about Academy of Sciences, it's a pretty awesome place, you can do most of it in a day, and they have stuff thats interesting for all ages, if you happen to be with some kids or anything.

Aquarium, rainforest enclosure, green roof, various presentations and all sorts of exhibits and stuff that change over fairly frequently.
One night of the week they have some nightclub type thing, but I've never been to it, so I can't speak about that.
http://www.calacademy.org/

Plus there is plenty of other cool stuff in Golden Gate park (where the academy of science is located). It's right next door to an art museum (you can go up in the tower for free), there's the Japanese tea gardens, the botanic gardens.

Over by fisherman's wharf, there's a hill with the coit tower on it, it's pretty steep, but sometimes you can see the parrots if you are walking around there (you can almost always hear them)

If you are going to be in for more then a couple days, there's all sorts of interesting things in the nearby area as well.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:23 AM   #19
chew
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Twin peaks is another cool thing to see. Especially if its a clear day its 100% worth the drive. And you get to see tourists chase raccoons with their giant SLRS. Chinatown is kinda overrated if you want good chinese food go to clement st.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:50 AM   #20
IWANNAGOFAST
I see LEDs

PTrader: (33/100%)

ah, forgot about the academy, highly recommended you go. They also have buffalo at golden gate park, if you're interested in seeing those.
IWANNAGOFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:56 PM   #21
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

No one said Ghirardelli Square? For the amazing chocolate! I frequent the Sunset side of the city as I went to high school there. Polly-Anne's ice cream has the "wheel of fortune" you can spin for free ice cream. Maybe the Cliffhouse if you want a good view.

I went to the Academy of Sciences recently and it was amazing. Huge aquarium downstairs and a really nice rainforest exhibit and living roof. They leave bones out on the living roof to dry out haha
pandamonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #22
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

PTrader: (39/100%)

I agree with chew, I live a little further south of Frisco, but clement street has a good variety of food. And if your looking for some good fish stores, there is one on clement and 6th ave called 6th ave aquarium, they have some stuff I have never seen elsewhere in the bay. And almost always have different stock every week. And the is another one around the corner from there but I forget what it is called and what street it's on.

Subtletanks91 is online now   Reply With Quote