The Buce Crypt Mountain Pics 05-01-2014 Page 10 New Video - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #16
Coltonorr
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (57/100%)

Nice piano!...its going to be cryptocoryne madness!
Coltonorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #17
FisheriesOmen
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Looks really nice so far! I think a nice branching piece of driftwood on the left side would look pretty sweet.

Also what's the mineralizing of the soil? I've never heard of anyone doing that before.

Good Luck!
The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17
FisheriesOmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #18
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltonorr View Post
Nice piano!...its going to be cryptocoryne madness!
Thanks Coltonorr! I am going for a sort of Asianish stream look. I think the rasboras and the gobies along with a little school of corys is gonna look sick swimming in and out of your balansae!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisheriesOmen View Post
Looks really nice so far! I think a nice branching piece of driftwood on the left side would look pretty sweet.

Also what's the mineralizing of the soil? I've never heard of anyone doing that before.

Good Luck!
I have driftwood on the way from Tom Barr! I'm gonna put a few pieces coming down from the left corner back. Mineralizing the soil is a process of getting rid of the organics found in soil in order to more readily have the nutrients available to plants. It makes for really fertile silt underneath my sand that the crypts just love haha.

I'm excited fellas! I just got some C. Green Gecko in last night and I put it in the back right corner of the tank!
pianofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #19
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

Just as a quick disclaimer, I am aware that I have a problem.... I bought too many plants for my little 20 gallon to handle... but hey thats life haha. Just so you know I plan on taking all the pots out and planting a terricota basin with them to have a wabikusa of sorts outside and give it to my dad for his birthday.

So without further ado, lets get to the fun part...

Over the last 2 weeks I've been getting plant packages in the mail like crazy:
Ghanzafar Ghori-
-C. Pontederiifolia
-C. Balansae (kind with red stem)
-C. Nurii "Pahang Mutated"
-C. Nurii "normal"

chrisnif-
-C. Wendtii "Green Gecko"

Ddavila06(from APC)-
-C. Retrospiralis

Coltonor-
-C. Balansae some with red stem, some without. (I purchase 10, but Coltonor wanted to give me a hard time, so he gave me closer to 15. which I didn't mind one bit )
-A big mix bag
~I think a mix between Green gecko, and maybe some nurii.
-C. Wendtii "Mii Oya" - looks more like affinis "metallic Red" See pictures on bottom.

OVT-
-Hygrophila Corymbosa
-Hygrophila Corymbosa "Siamensis"

Sketch804-
-C. Balansae "Red" (Now that I see it, I'm not positive that its the rarer, red leafed variety, but I'll see, fingers crossed)
-C. Lutea, it was soo big lol... I was hoping for a nice foregroundish plant to put in between my rocks.... Yeah not gonna happen, these are each about 8 inches tall. ( I think I was thinking of C. Nevillii or C. Lucens.
-Stem Plant #1
-Stem Plant #2

Crazydaz-
-C. Affinis "Metallic Red"
-Hygrophila sp "Brown"
-"True" Dwarf Sagittaria

So in case you didn't notice, I have alot of plants in my wee little 20 gallon.

Warning- growout pots in tank Severely damage aesthetic appeal!

PPics

FTShot

Coltonor's Wendtii "Mii Oya" which looks like affinis to me?? Its a beaut either way.

C. Affinis "Metallic Red" -I've never owned any fish plant so red before .They were in spectacular condition with several runners!
That was really my issue with so many plants, most people gave extras. The people on this sight are so nice to deal with!

"True Dwarf Sagittaria" interspersed with my granite makes for a nice contrast.

C. Nurii "Normal"

C. Nurii "Pahang Mutated"

Hygro Brown on left, New Stem #1 in the middle and New Stem #2 on the right.

C. Ballansae Patch, This was after the major trim, I can't wait for it to really fill in. They earn their keep by hiding the filter well.

C. Pontederiifolia

Hygrophila Corymbosa with Siamensis being very small on the right hand side. Siamensis seems to get a redder stem.

Plumbing (Intake-->Canister-->Down hydor heater--> in comes co2-->House Filter-->eheim outflow wide pipe.)

Jello Yeast co2 Reactor set up

Final Front Tank Shot.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #20
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

Future Plans:
1. Take out the pots and jar as soon as the tank gets cycled. (I assure you, the granite meshes with everything much better that way)
2. Get about 15-20 pots of parva to plant along the front middle going all the way to the right back.
3. Adding some Driftwood as soon as my manzanita order comes in from Tom Barr.
4. I might pile the rocks up higher to where at least the back corner rock peeks over the C. ponterderiifolia.
5. Once the hardscape is finalized, I want to get several Anubias nana petites to go all over it.
6. Once everything is good and established, I'd like to get a few buces, but... thats just a dream

Fauna plans:
-As soon as tank finishes its cycle, get Cherry shrimp.
-Then I'm going to get Dwarf Emerald Rasboras, probably around 12-15.
-After a few weeks as things settle in, I really want to get some neon blue gobies.
-I'd also like 8-9 Cory Habrosus.
And probably 1 or 2 Nerite Snails
and maybe 1 or 2 amano shrimp.

I know its asking alot, but I got an eheim 2217 on a 20 gallon for a reason
(The cory cats and amano shrimp are optional. Definitely getting the rasboras and the gobies though. My girlfriend really likes those and they go well with the lower temperatures and high movement of my flow in the tank. My tap has a P.H. of about 7.5 so both of those fish worked out).

Let me know what you think,
Thanks,
Joshua
Old 04-14-2013, 06:43 AM   #21
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

Nerites ordered along with some C. Nevillii to go in between my granite slope!
Also ordered several varieties of fish flakes from Angels plus. I got the deworming kind, protozoan kind, immunity booster kind and then a couple of high quality protein mixes for a good "quarantine" of sorts.

I also ordered 14 dwarf rasboras to ship in 2 weeks. I reckon my cycle will be finishing by then, if not then I will do a water change or 2 everyday until it does finish. These fish are Tiny so I don't think they will rock the system too hard.
What do you think?
Thanks,
Pianofish
Old 04-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #22
Coltonorr
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (57/100%)

Nice! Going to be a crypt jungle in there once they all fill in!
Coltonorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:26 AM   #23
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

I am digging that tank man :-) . but i have to ask why are you leaving the mii oya and the afinnis in the pot?

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #24
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltonorr View Post
Nice! Going to be a crypt jungle in there once they all fill in!
Thanks man! I think it'll be pretty cool in a few months once its all grown in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Delight View Post
I am digging that tank man :-) . but i have to ask why are you leaving the mii oya and the afinnis in the pot?
Thanks man! I'ts in the pot mainly because I don't have my hardscape is finished yet. I have some Driftwood coming in this week and I want to get everything arranged before adding in any extra plants. It's mii oya in the pot though. All the affinis is planted.

So a quick update. I had a very small ich outbreak in the tank, mostly due to the fact that I was still cycling the tank when I added a few LFS fish -> quickest route to sickness. So I've been treating the tank with maracide over the past 6 days and will continue to do so. I shut down my co2 and lowered my lighting period and stopped dosing however, but now that the initial outbreak is over, I think that I'm going to start adding the co2 back with the fertz. I took out the granite while dosing the tank, as granite is a very porous rock and readily absorbs liquids. I will dip them in vinegar to disinfect, and then soak them in plain water for a few days to allow any of the vinegar residue to soak out. So hopefully when its all said and done, in about 2 weeks, I should have my tank scape (which was largely already finished) back into place with some added driftwood.

I also have my order of 14X dwarf emerald rasboras coming in this week hopefully! I have my quarantine tank all primed and ready to go (10 gallon).

I also swapped my bulbs out for a geisseman mid day and aquaflora bulbs. They look pretty sweet and balance out alot nicer than my other ones.

I'm also in the process of starting an outdoor fish basin. My Dad's birthday is coming up in June and my mom isn't too keen on him having a fish tank indoors, so I thought that I would give him the next best thing. I bought two beautiful glazed pots, one probably about 10-15 gallons and another probably about 1 gallon and plan on sealing them both a then putting MTS and a sand/gravel mixture substrate with all the crypts in the unattractive pots that are currently in my tank as an experiment to see how they will fair out doors. Eventually I will put some Louisiana native sailfin mollies in there as they can bear the heat. The little one gallon will sit on the the rim of the larger bowl and have water pummped into it for a water fall/oxygenating effect. I will also put a sponge filter/air pump style in the little pot for filtration as well as further oxygenation.

Finals are coming up though so wish me luck!

~Joshua
Old 04-26-2013, 06:28 AM   #25
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

Time for an update!

Fish are here!!!
All 16 of my little wittle bittie emerald dwarf rasboras are here! They are soo tiny only about .75 cm long, but out of the 14 i bought, 16 survived so not too shabby! Thanks to Dennis from Ball Aquatics.

I also moved several of the planted pots and jars over to the quarantine tank to provide some cover for the little guys, talk about they get spooked real easy. Now time for some deworming/ deprotozoan/ healthifying these little guys for the next 4 weeks.

I put all of the rocks back into place and fix the tank up nice. So really besides a few DW sticks coming from the back corner, the only other thing that I want to do with the scape is add several pots of C. parva as a carpet along the front and right sides. And then add some anubias nana petite in some of the rock crevices. But for the most part things just need some time to grow in.

Everything has been going really well with the tank lately, plants are pearling from my DIY co2 that is injected into my cerges reactor. I still have micro bubbles everywhere, but that doesn't bother me. I've been dosing EI style and doing WChanges once or twice a week.

Ich has completely gone away thanks to maracide! And I added nerites back to the tank. I took them out and put them in a planted jar inside of a ziploc bag on the side of the tank while treating them as maracide can potentially have bad effects on snails. They survived in a jar for 7 days just fine!

I'm really thinking about getting some Hara Jerdoni for the tank like maybe 4-5 of them and then 7-8 rosy loaches. Both of them would work with my Asian biotope look.

Bringing the fauna up to:
16 - Dwarf Emerald Rasbora's (babies right now)
5 - Hara Jerdoni (hopefully for my birthday in May)
7-8 Rosy Loaches (hopefully for my birthday in May)

What do you think?

Pics!

FTS

C. Affinis "Metallic Red"

True Dwarf Sag

Either Ludwigia Repens x Ludwigia Arcuata or Rotala Macrandra variation.
Its kinda cool, you can see the transition period from the old tank to my tank by the green on the stem.

Drop Checker is all good!

Who doesn't like overhead pics?
C. Nurii "pahang mutated"

My little Dwarf Emerald Rasboras!

FTS
Old 04-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #26
merritt1985
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Love the last pic, looks really good. I've got 12 Rosy Loaches and love them there all over the place and not shy at all.
merritt1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #27
Dien16
Algae Grower

Whats the plant in the front left the tall leaf ones
Dien16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:26 PM   #28
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by merritt1985 View Post
Love the last pic, looks really good. I've got 12 Rosy Loaches and love them there all over the place and not shy at all.
Thanks man, I was wondering about how they would act in a tank. I'm debating on if I want more hara Jerdoni (mini catfishes) or the rosy's I may just do like 8 of each. If all I have are those two and the dwarf rasboras I think it'll look real sweet and that won't push my tank limits too much. Then in several months after the tank matures, I'll add a pair of gobies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien16 View Post
Whats the plant in the front left the tall leaf ones

Thats some Cryptocoryne Ballansae on the very left and a few Cryptocoryne Retrospiralis as you get closer to the leafy stems. Its quite the cool plant, gets very long and leafy and has a nice texture.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:20 AM   #29
merritt1985
Planted Member

I'd vote rosys they are awesome little fish to be so tiny. Plus there in season right now seems like everyone has them couldn't find the at all a month ago
merritt1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #30
pianofish
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by merritt1985 View Post
I'd vote rosys they are awesome little fish to be so tiny. Plus there in season right now seems like everyone has them couldn't find the at all a month ago
I vote them too haha.
I just sent my order in to Ms. Rachel (Msjinkzd) and if all goes well I should be having:

9 hara jerdoni's
9 rosy loaches
3 amano shrimp
8 ottos

all coming in the mail for this Wednesday!

Since I don't have any fish that I plan on keeping currently in this tank, I will just put the new fish into the main tank directly. I don't mind treating the whole tank as its only 20 gallons if I have to. Msjinkzd does an extensive quarantine with all of her fish and I will monitor them closely in the tank.

I think though that I will still quarantine the emeralds in the 10 gallon for a few more weeks being that they are so tiny, I want to fatten them up first before plopping them in the 20 gallon with all the other fishes.

And I decided that I will wait quite a while for this tank to mature before adding any gobies to the tank. I'll see how I like these fish and I may just end up having these 4 schoals which is quite alright with me.

Plants are all growing well and I haven't had any big problems yet.