Peter's Low-Tech Mini-M - Work Distraction! - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #46
sarazorz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I love this tank! Nice job
Nikon Pimp Club #102
Is there a "Hard Water Club"?
sarazorz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #47
Rbp917
Algae Grower

Sounds like you have a great boss!
Rbp917 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #48
Jason K
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

I tried both glosso and hc DSM in excel only tanks...they hung on pretty well for a few months after flooding, but didn't flourish, and slowly died out. Hoping you have better luck!
Jason K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 03:25 AM   #49
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalmackdaddy View Post
Wow! Very pretty! This is my favorite mini M yet
Im very surprised by how tidy you java is growing, especially in low tech! Or is it just because it is still in it's emersed form? Either way very beautiful!
Thanks for the comment! I'm glad it's your favorite Mini-M so far. There are a lot of Mini-M's out there that are gorgeous.

The java moss I cut out of my 20g tank (been growing in there for ~1 year) then had it emersed ~6 weeks during the DSM, and as you see it now, it is submerged again. When it was emersed, I didn't tie it down at all; now its growth has made it latch on to the wood real good.
PeterN1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #50
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So the bamboo charcoal I got from the Container Store was a dud. Had it in for a week and it didn't do anything. I got activated filter carbon and it cleared up the water significantly overnight, so stick to what's out there! I pulled out a lot of clumps of algae, and am seeing slow rebounding by the HC and glosso. Been dosing Excel every day, and dry ferts and Flourish on alternating days. I'm seeing some early signs of algae on the glass, but I'll be away from work all of next week (so no ferts or dosing). Curious to see what condition the plants are in after I get back on the 15th.

Up to this point, I have been taking pics with my cell phone. These photos below are now with my experimenting with my Canon PowerShot SD1000 from 2008. Was able to get some cool and interesting shots. Enjoy!

One of the cooler pics I took.

Foreboding side view with that moss...

That moss looks very intimidating!

So this is inside my AC20: activated carbon on left, Purigen on right. Plus you can see my heater covertly placed behind the driftwood on the lower left corner.

Cool view of the moss from the side.

Last edited by PeterN1986; 02-08-2014 at 02:33 AM.. Reason: fixed links
Old 04-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #51
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

That moss is awesome.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 07:05 AM   #52
asuran
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

nice thread. subscribed
I have the same issue with my HC.
asuran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #53
tizzite
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

+1 on the moss. I've never seen it that green. Where did you get that java moss? Does it look greener because of the blue light in the fugeray?
Old 04-17-2013, 01:30 AM   #54
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzite View Post
+1 on the moss. I've never seen it that green. Where did you get that java moss? Does it look greener because of the blue light in the fugeray?
Story of my java moss:
January 2012: I got that moss from someone I bought RCS's from. It was a golf-ball sized clump. I stuck it on my driftwood in my 20H low-tech tank. I dosed Excel and dry ferts and bi-weekly water changes for the rest of 2012.
January 2013: Cut some pieces of it out and laid it out on the driftwood at the very beginning of this DSM.
March 2013: Flooded the tank after ~6 weeks of DSM.

So the moss was dry-started with the glosso and HC. First two weeks it kind of spread out a little, but the next two weeks it just took off. It's still taking off now, after being submerged for weeks. I don't have any secrets as to why it's so lush and green. I will have to trim it very soon.

Also, I'm strongly considering just taking out the glosso and HC because they aren't growing and it's a losing battle to try and get them to grow; little by little, I see more small clumps of sad HC at the surface. I'm really leaning towards a spread of Cryptocoryne Parva and Marsilea Hirsuta for the foreground and Anubias Nana/Petite Nana with some rocks to fill up the middle triangular space in front of the wood. I know none of those plants will grow much at all, but that's fine, since it's a low-tech tank anyway.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:15 AM   #55
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

That moss is totally suh-weet! I think it'd be OK if you took out the HC and glosso.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #56
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I pulled out the HC, it was slowly dying/straggling. I went back home this past weekend and got a good amount of Anubias and some RCS's and 7 Purple Rasboras. I also went to the park/trail nearby (Shuylkill River trail) and got some good rocks from there. Put the rocks in the middle with the Anubias and voile! Looks more natural now.

I spread out some glosso to hopefully carpet out over the front. Might even get a pot or two of marsilea hirsuta to fill out the front, but I like the look of the bare black substrate. I think it contrasts well with the anubias and moss on the wood.

Last edited by PeterN1986; 02-08-2014 at 02:35 AM.. Reason: fixed links
Old 04-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #57
artresz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Looks really great, the anubias is a nice addition. Any algae issues?
Old 04-28-2013, 01:01 AM   #58
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by artresz View Post
Looks really great, the anubias is a nice addition. Any algae issues?
Thanks! No algae issues, the snail and shrimp take care of any for the most part. There's a very faint layer of algae that I just manually removed from the front and side glass with an unused card. This algae was after flooding 5 weeks ago and it was barely noticeable.

I'm slowly adjusting my dosing of dry ferts/Flourish/Excel to get the tank balanced. I'll be keeping a close watch on how my glosso grows for this.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #59
Sakuras
Algae Grower

Really great tank. Did you place the java moss neatly with their fronds all facing the same direction?
Sakuras is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #60
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuras View Post
Really great tank. Did you place the java moss neatly with their fronds all facing the same direction?
This is how I laid down my java moss:

So I basically just plopped it on the wood and spread it out. I did not even tie any of it up. Over the first 2-3 weeks of the DSM, it grew kind if slow and started to spread out, covering the wood. But the 4th week and on, it just exploded to what you see now, and that's after a trim 2 weeks ago. I did not anticipate all the fronds being in the same direction like that, which looks pretty cool. It's just a result of how the moss is growing and the direction of the water flow from the AC20 which is on the right side of the tank.

Last edited by PeterN1986; 02-08-2014 at 02:38 AM.. Reason: fixed links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.