Moss Growing Setup - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #16
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)

newbie - yes to both -- The water comes from my 55G planted tank which has CO2 and is ferted following the Flourish guide.

I do the changes daily at the height of the CO2/Photo period I've found doing it this way I can micro manage them and take care of any issues such as snails or any browning (which hasn't happened) as they happen.

The Xmas moss has been doing great so far! Here's a close up shot of a handful that I have which will be going down on some cholla and some more mesh soon

drewsuf82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #17
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewsuf82 View Post
newbie - yes to both -- The water comes from my 55G planted tank which has CO2 and is ferted following the Flourish guide.

I do the changes daily at the height of the CO2/Photo period I've found doing it this way I can micro manage them and take care of any issues such as snails or any browning (which hasn't happened) as they happen.

The Xmas moss has been doing great so far! Here's a close up shot of a handful that I have which will be going down on some cholla and some more mesh soon

What's the height of CO2 / photo period? An what watt bulb also what's the out put on the bulbs 5000k or 6500k ? Thanks for the info BTW. I'm havin soo much trouble with my moss so I hope this setup helps.
newbieplanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #18
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

THe height of the CO2 period in my tank is when my indicator shows green letting me know that my co2 levels are good (and I usually see some pearling going on)

Photoperiod - the time the lights are on the photo period in this setup is 8 hours (same as my 55 gallon tank)

The bulbs are CFL 13 watt GE Daylight bulbs I got them at walmart and for the life of me now I can't find the box to give you the K rating, I believe they are either 5500K or 6000K and they are approx 4-6 inches from the moss (depending on where they are in the tub)
Old 02-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #19
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

Quote:
THe height of the CO2 period in my tank is when my indicator shows green letting me know that my co2 levels are good (and I usually see some pearling going on)

Photoperiod - the time the lights are on the photo period in this setup is 8 hours (same as my 55 gallon tank)

The bulbs are CFL 13 watt GE Daylight bulbs I got them at walmart and for the life of me now I can't find the box to give you the K rating, I believe they are either 5500K or 6000K and they are approx 4-6 inches from the moss (depending on where they are in the tub)
I saw the bulbs they are 5000k but the store near me sells 6500k CFL bulbs I got 2 of them. I think the CO2 is playing a big factor in helping your moss grow plus the ferts I'm gonna wait till I put CO2 on my tank then ill try this but thanks for the info?
newbieplanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #20
JoeandCarrie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I didn't think that any of the listed mosses required co2. Am I wrong in that? I would like to try this to accumulate enough moss for a 40b project. The mosses are soo expensive. Looks like a nice simple grow out system though.

Anyone else tried with no co2 but same setup?

How's the progress op?
JoeandCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #21
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

I actually don't have any injected co2 in this setup. The airlines are for airstones to provide circulation of the water at night

I've changed the water change out schedule to every 2-3 days and I'm still getting ok growth with it...

You can do this setup completely without CO2 I just use the water from my big tank to help bump it along
Old 04-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #22
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I dry-started the java moss in my Mini-M for several weeks and it just exploded in growth. After I flooded the tank, it still grows a lot. My tank is non-CO2. I think you will see better and more efficient growth dry-starting your mosses.
PeterN1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:39 AM   #23
JoeandCarrie
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info, checked out that Mini M also, will have to read more on the dry start thing. Really nice looking Java growth.

-Joe
JoeandCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:01 AM   #24
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterN1986 View Post
I dry-started the java moss in my Mini-M for several weeks and it just exploded in growth. After I flooded the tank, it still grows a lot. My tank is non-CO2. I think you will see better and more efficient growth dry-starting your mosses.
Interesting...I wonder if I should be taking a more "less water" approach to this setup
Old 11-14-2013, 01:21 AM   #25
discoveringmypath
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I know it's been awhile, but any updates? I bet you outgrew this setup pretty quickly...
Old 12-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #26
cbachmann
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Yeah this is fascinating. Any updates? I want to see those tupperwares fullllll of moss

3.5 gallon- Dwarf Cories
10 gallon- Cories
5.5- Khuli Loaches and Golden Tetras
cbachmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:47 AM   #27
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

I actually fell ill for a while and well a lot of them went down hill, although I've made a lot of notes on how to improve and continue it, it needs some work before it'll be photo friendly again. Hang in tight, it'll prob be a few weeks
Old 02-20-2014, 05:47 AM   #28
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
I actually fell ill for a while and well a lot of them went down hill, although I've made a lot of notes on how to improve and continue it, it needs some work before it'll be photo friendly again. Hang in tight, it'll prob be a few weeks
Def. do a emersed setup the next time around, no worries, no algae, nothing!
I've grown almost every type of moss emersed and have had no issues immersing them afterwards.
Java/spiky/Xmas/taiwan/weeping/flame - explode when emersed, and they get real green and compact.
Fissidens - not so pretty out of water, but grows without worrying about algae, works great on rocks.
Mini pellia - looks great, grows thick and looks just like coral plates.
I've had about 3 moss dedicated tanks, top recommendation! one - two distinguishable species per tank I also find co2 and high light grows some awesome moss.
This was my old moss tank, all if not most of the species in there saw emersed life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	277362  

Default is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:22 AM   #29
StrungOut
plantedtank fiend

PTrader: (50/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to StrungOut

This is tight, keep updating plxz
StrungOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:38 PM   #30
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default!! Can you explain your setup, or start a thread so as not to hijack this one. I just put some moss in a tupperware container and then thought, I wonder if this will get rid of the algae? How do you make sure it gets ferts? Does it require different lighting out of water, higher, lower?
creekbottom is offline   Reply With Quote