n00dl3's 180G Rare Crypts Collectoritis Journal - New Update 4-7-2013 - Page 23
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #331
n00dl3
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (91/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdaddy View Post
Indeed, but it is lovely. Does it grow to the size of a wendtti?
Not sure... But from pictures, it seem smaller than wendtii.
n00dl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-08-2013, 01:19 AM   #332
n00dl3
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (91/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 988
Default

It has been two weeks since my rescaped. I had a big time melt in the tank where I lost quite a few baby crypts. The adult crypts also experienced melting but not as bad. The melting has stopped and crypts are getting new growth.

I might have lost both of my Auriculata sp which I’m extremely disappointed. I hope they will both come back. I have not dug them up to see if the crown is still good. Most likely, I will just wait to see if they do come back.

I changed out the spray bars to nozzles because I didn’t like how the flow was. I was getting algae on the ground and other areas where the spray can’t get to. With the nozzles, it will give me a little more flexibility to control the flow.

I have had the Flamingo for two weeks now. I’m getting mixed result on the survivability. From my observation, the ones that came in good condition are surviving and growing new leaves. While the ones that came in not so good to bad condition has melted. I have a few specimens surviving and growing new leaves in both submerged and emersed form.

Here are some pictures:

FTS:


Center:



Left:



Right:



Submerged Flamingo:




Emersed Flamingo:




Emersed New AS vs Used


New plant I want to try to grow emersed: Elatine Hydropiper


n00dl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:21 AM   #333
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru
 
@marko@'s Avatar
 
PTrader: (57/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: livingston, nj
Posts: 5,679
Default

damn that c. cordata looks good.

i see you got some of franks hydropiper. i just planted mine, i have high hopes. good luck with yours.
__________________
@marko@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:07 AM   #334
n00dl3
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (91/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
damn that c. cordata looks good.

i see you got some of franks hydropiper. i just planted mine, i have high hopes. good luck with yours.
I always love how c. cordata look

Yes, I ordered some Frank to see if I can grow them. They came in really good condition so the chances are good to convert them. Good luck with yours too!!!
n00dl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:34 AM   #335
toksyn
Planted Member
 
toksyn's Avatar
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 237
Default

I'm observing the same thing on my end regarding the C. "Flamingo". I can tell you definitively that live Sphagnum isn't something that they seem to like.
__________________
I like creepy things, vines included.

The Precipice | Hypoptopoma Haven
toksyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #336
n00dl3
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (91/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toksyn View Post
I'm observing the same thing on my end regarding the C. "Flamingo". I can tell you definitively that live Sphagnum isn't something that they seem to like.
Good to know but Sphagnum doesn't really have any nutrients. Did you supplement with ferts?

How are all yours doing?
n00dl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:18 AM   #337
toksyn
Planted Member
 
toksyn's Avatar
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 237
Default

They weren't in pure sphagnum. I top dressed some aquasoil with sphagnum, and also tried top dressed peat moss + earthworm castings with sphagnum. Neither were really effective. Straight aquasoil seems to be working best.

None of mine look very happy though. I think I spy a tiny new leaf on one of the emergent ones. The submerged ones are just kind of hanging on for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00dl3 View Post
Good to know but Sphagnum doesn't really have any nutrients. Did you supplement with ferts?

How are all yours doing?
__________________
I like creepy things, vines included.

The Precipice | Hypoptopoma Haven
toksyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:54 AM   #338
rowdaddy
Planted Member
 
rowdaddy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Upstate, SC
Posts: 151
Default Re: n00dl3's 180G Rare Crypts Collectoritis Journal - New Update 4-7-2013

I have faith you will revive them.

I am Rowdaddy.
SC Aquaria

75 Community
20H Community
20L Convict "Bedroom"
20L Growout
10gal RCS
1.5gal in progress
55 gal Paludarium/Vivarium coming soon
rowdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #339
n00dl3
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (91/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toksyn View Post
They weren't in pure sphagnum. I top dressed some aquasoil with sphagnum, and also tried top dressed peat moss + earthworm castings with sphagnum. Neither were really effective. Straight aquasoil seems to be working best.

None of mine look very happy though. I think I spy a tiny new leaf on one of the emergent ones. The submerged ones are just kind of hanging on for now.
I also find straight used AS has the best result. There will be an adjustment period for them from gel/agar to soil.

I just checked this morning on my emersed setup, I got a few new leaves from my surviving Flamingo. The leaves are tiny but it is growing.

A few of my submerged specimen are like yours... just hangin on but I got one that is growing a couple of new leaves. Again they are tiny but growing.
n00dl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #340
n00dl3
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (91/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdaddy View Post
I have faith you will revive them.
Yep!!! just need to be patience!! We just one crypt to live!!!
n00dl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:31 AM   #341
Chaoslord
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Chaoslord's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Highland
Posts: 648
Default

Funny, i also had a major melt on my end. Lost almost half of my crypt growth. I planted mine and let the leaves melt off into the tank. With in the next couple of days i was seeing massive melting. Its only affected my crypts.
I've been looking into allelophathy as a possibility.
I did a massive water change and so far the melt off has stoped. Im also seeing new growth.
Congrats on the success so far. I hope it keeps up.
__________________
Chaoslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #342
n00dl3
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (91/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaoslord View Post
Funny, i also had a major melt on my end. Lost almost half of my crypt growth. I planted mine and let the leaves melt off into the tank. With in the next couple of days i was seeing massive melting. Its only affected my crypts.
I've been looking into allelophathy as a possibility.
I did a massive water change and so far the melt off has stoped. Im also seeing new growth.
Congrats on the success so far. I hope it keeps up.
Maybe I was sending you my bad juju My melt was from a major rescape. I was expecting some melting but not as much as I have gotten.

Over APC, there is a thread that talks about crypt allelophathy. I honestly I haven't witness that as much because crypts are so resilience. If they can't grow in this place, then will send their runner to another location.

Quick update: The submerged flamingos are just idling. Not really showing any additional growth. But the emersed flamingos have put out a couple of new leaves from the plants that are alive. New leaves are lime green and not pink. I'm just happy to see them living.
n00dl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #343
toksyn
Planted Member
 
toksyn's Avatar
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 237
Default

I can say the same thing. My submerged flamingos look like they have some tiny new leaves, but I'm not really sure if they are new or if I'm just hopeful.

It looks like the flamingos (emersed) that took a beating on the way melted back but I don't want to disturb them yet. Maybe the roots survived ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00dl3 View Post
Maybe I was sending you my bad juju My melt was from a major rescape. I was expecting some melting but not as much as I have gotten.

Over APC, there is a thread that talks about crypt allelophathy. I honestly I haven't witness that as much because crypts are so resilience. If they can't grow in this place, then will send their runner to another location.

Quick update: The submerged flamingos are just idling. Not really showing any additional growth. But the emersed flamingos have put out a couple of new leaves from the plants that are alive. New leaves are lime green and not pink. I'm just happy to see them living.
__________________
I like creepy things, vines included.

The Precipice | Hypoptopoma Haven
toksyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #344
n00dl3
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (91/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toksyn View Post
I can say the same thing. My submerged flamingos look like they have some tiny new leaves, but I'm not really sure if they are new or if I'm just hopeful.

It looks like the flamingos (emersed) that took a beating on the way melted back but I don't want to disturb them yet. Maybe the roots survived ...
The ones that came in bad condition has discinerated to nothing in both my submerged and emersed. No roots or crown survived.
n00dl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #345
pianofish
Wannabe Guru
 
pianofish's Avatar
 
PTrader: (24/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana
Posts: 1,019
Default

Update on the flamingo??
pianofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012