thoughts on my full spec LED
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
dustbust_1
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

thoughts on my full spec LED

Im doing a 40 breeder. pressurized co2. Anywheres from medium to high light (dimmable leds)

Here is what I have for a DIY led layout. I know I could go with just all 6500k but thats no fun. I really want to try a full spectrum.

I will be using all Luxeons 3 watt, 1000ma dimmable on 2 separate channels. Whites on one and colors on the other.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LEDs.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	132122  

dustbust_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Looks good, but why not 4 channels? You're not going to be to adjust the overall color temp of the lighting with out it.
225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ twin Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Custom 320 watt LED Lighting system utilizing a 6' Maker's Heat Sink, 12 BridgeLux Vero 18's,3 purpose built 5 channel A6211 Led driver/Controllers, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
O2surplus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
dustbust_1
Algae Grower

Im still toying with the idea of 4 channels. My fist thoughts would be all 5k on one and the colors on the other. The color channel would basically be purple to the human eye. Id do 5k full blast or 90% whatever, then I can adjust how much purple to add to give it a crisp white color.

Its hard to tell how much of a difference it will actually make putting them all on separate dimming channels.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustbust_1 View Post
Its hard to tell how much of a difference it will actually make putting them all on separate dimming channels.
Oh- it makes a world of difference. Having each color on it's own control channel makes dialing in the color temp really easy.

I've got (3) 50 watt RGB led arrays over my tank right now. Without the ability to adjust each color- you're pretty much at the mercy of whatever the overall color temp looks like, at a predetermined drive current. Being that I'm using a controller, I'm able to not only adjust the overall color temp to my liking but also create a "red shift" in the morning/evening, and a nice "noon burst" in the middle of the photo period.
I definitely recommend 4 independent color control channels.
225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ twin Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Custom 320 watt LED Lighting system utilizing a 6' Maker's Heat Sink, 12 BridgeLux Vero 18's,3 purpose built 5 channel A6211 Led driver/Controllers, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
O2surplus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
dustbust_1
Algae Grower

Wow, thats some power. did you build the thing and do you have a thread? Your making it sound pretty good. I just might do it. At least the 4 channels for now. A controller can come later.

Do you feel having the RGB adds to the health of the plants? Do you have any algae problems running the reds?

I have a DIY aquastyle online 12 led kit over a 20gal (tall) with 6500k and the plants do well. Its diy co2 with yeast. I have those lights dialed down to 50% because they kept growing algae. Now I have perfect balance. Id never go anything but LEDs.

Thats kind of why I want to try Full Spec. I already did a full 6500k and I have a full spec over my reef and am getting amazing coral growth so I wanted to test it out on plants. see if it has the same effect. Obvious different color combos.