125g w/ 40g breeder sump. high tech, in wall-goodness - Page 8
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #106
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I like the color of the walls. I like the pallet wall idea. This is going to be well worth all the effort!

What kind of flooring are you going to install?
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #107
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Pallet wall was a cool idea. I was wondering what you are going to do where the drywall sticks out around the tank, moulding?
xmas_one is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #108
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
Pallet wall was a cool idea. I was wondering what you are going to do where the drywall sticks out around the tank, moulding?
i will be siliconing molding to the tank trim. though, maybe i'll do so with reclaimed wood instead.

I'm fairly pissed though. the guy who did the mudding and taping of the drywall used a spray adhesive for the corner trim for the drywall. he didnt spray near the tank, but the drying of the adhesive caused heat/vapor and the tank's trim itself is now rough to the touch.

there is zero way to be reimbursed, and it's not much of an issue... but it's really annoying to have a brand new tank, never used, with flaws.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #109
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

I finally found a reason to use pinterest.

http://pinterest.com/kwilsbach/125-g...ommunity-tank/
Old 04-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #110
eoncloud
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

do the pallet wall, its pretty easy and everyone loves mine i get nothing but compliments its a real eye catcher
eoncloud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #111
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoncloud View Post
do the pallet wall, its pretty easy and everyone loves mine i get nothing but compliments its a real eye catcher
right, yours was the one I saw that got me on doing it.

I think it'd frame out the area nicely. the green is too much for the corner I'm afraid. something closer in color would be nice. so it's either getting painted the same brown, or getting the pallet treatment.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:51 AM   #112
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

ye olde sump woes.

this sucker is way too noisy. I need to work on venting air at the sump. the 1" tubing doesnt even fill the whole way... i sort've anticipated it would.

pump itself is a fluval sea sp4, rated at 1800 gph. but this is the outlet... granted, the outlet section is a Y. I need to increase pressure.

drilled the pvc to help vent. didn't work quite as well as I'd have hoped. replacing the 90's with T's to vent more. may go to a large diameter pipe too.

airline going down into the tubing, this help noise a lot.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:37 AM   #113
Ach1Ll3sH33L
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

the pipes in the sump shouldn't be in water like that, there keeping air from being pulled down and exchanging back and forth. try lowering the water level in the sump, or remove the down pipe below the elbow, see if that doesnt free up the flow a bit
Old 04-25-2013, 03:02 AM   #114
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

i'm attempting to reduce splashing as much as possible as i'll also have a pressurized co2 system attached.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:10 AM   #115
Ach1Ll3sH33L
Planted Tank Obsessed

By setting it up that way your keeping air from being pulled in with the water from the overflow.. which is creating a bottleneck and is more than likely whats making the system noisy. theres better methods to prevent co2 loss in a sump
Old 04-25-2013, 03:15 AM   #116
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ach1Ll3sH33L View Post
By setting it up that way your keeping air from being pulled in with the water from the overflow.. which is creating a bottleneck and is more than likely whats making the system noisy. theres better methods to prevent co2 loss in a sump
raising the exit points are noisier though. I'm afraid I'm still learning about setting up a sump.

i'll give removing the little bit extra pipe from the 90 a shot though
Old 04-25-2013, 03:40 AM   #117
Ach1Ll3sH33L
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
raising the exit points are noisier though. I'm afraid I'm still learning about setting up a sump.

i'll give removing the little bit extra pipe from the 90 a shot though
It will create splashing, but ideally you want some type of filter immediately under the outflow thats exposed to air, this way the water trickles and is forced through it, then your bio media after that. Look up some pictures of how a wet/dry works. They also sell ebay kits that allow you to convert your current tank into a seal able wet/dry filter that will give you better co2 efficiency. one of my local members just did this....
http://scapeclub.org/forum/showthrea...umpzilla-Lives!
Old 04-25-2013, 03:53 AM   #118
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

I wasnt planning on a wet dry. merely a return section with baffles filled with sponge material, a "refugium" of plants and shrimp, snails, etc, another baffle section with sponge, and return pump section.

just a simple sump for extra water and a growout area. My assumption is that there will be plenty of chemical filtration via the surface area on the plants inside and out of the sump.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #119
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

noisier with the pipes out of the tank.

all of the silent sump setups i've seen have the pipe under the water level.

I've upped the 1" pvc to 1.25" with a T with one open end to vent. this had a huge affect on the noise, but not enough that i'm satisfied. It's also quieter with the T blocked... I think the next step is to get some foam around the exit pipes to further break up the air bubbles.

here's a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=J5hX-GoNN90
Old 04-27-2013, 04:53 AM   #120
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd

I haven't read back far enough to know exactly what you have set up, but if you have a gate valve on your drain pipe you can close it until it runs completely full and sucks no air. You will want a second drain that can allow for some fudge room... if the water isn't draining through the main drain quickly enough it can go down the secondary instead.

Here is an example of my overflow. The main drain is the one that is completely submerged with the black triangular screen on it. The next drain over is the secondary drain which usually has a slight trickle of water going down it. This drain regulates the water height in the overflow. The last drain on the right is a straight up emergency drain and is capable of handling all the flow if the first two drains are completely clogged.

Because the main drain is adjusted with a gate valve, it is completely full of water and the end of it is submerged under water. No air goes in so none comes out and it is completely silent. The trickle in the secondary drain is hardly audible as well.
jcgd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.