If you had to... (retrofit kind of question)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

If you had to... (retrofit kind of question)

At least I think it is called retro fitting...

That is my 30gal tank at home. I just set it up. That is running a single T12 Plant bulb right now, looks way brighter than it is. It is better than I expected for everything being 20+ years old, but still. The bulb is not that old, I picked up a new one.

This is going to be fairly low tech. Right not in there are some Argentine Swords and Moneywort. I would eventually like to toss in a little bit of dwarf water lettuce and some other low maint plants.

Eventually I would like to add a piece of driftwood with some moss, and have a bit of carpet, something easy.

I am not against going CO2, in fact I picked up a nice glass set from someone on here.

But I would like to know what sort of options people thought I had out there to keep the existing light contaner, that matches the rest of the tank. I was thinking of gutting out the interior pieces, and hiding a 24" Finnex under it.

I know some might disagree with me, or not like the look, but this was a childhood tank, and I would like to keep it looking the way it did when it was setup when I was younger, just with better components.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Lowe
Finnex

PTrader: (2/100%)

I couldn't find his thread but Jbrady33 did this mod. If I come across it again I'll post it for ya.
Lowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe View Post
I couldn't find his thread but Jbrady33 did this mod. If I come across it again I'll post it for ya.
Found it, will be consulting him on this...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=185810
Old 04-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

That looks like a regular plastic hood like mine, the type that the light fixture lifts off separately and shine through a little glass window - is that correct?

If so you should have no problems with this one at all, even easier than mine. Your 30 gallon is 36" long, right? Here you go:
- Gut the light by removing the screws that hold the fluorescent fixture in place - cut wires were needed. The idea is to end up with just the plastic shell of the light.
- Buy a 24" or 30" Finnex Fugeray (measure the inside of you light to see what will fit)
- don't bother with the legs that come with the new light - just set the light directly on that glass window in the hood
- put the shell of the old light over the Fugeray to hide it - and you are done! No need for the new light to be connected to the shell at all, it is just for looks and to keep glare from coming out of the top.

You can cut a little notch in the shell for the power cord if you like (i did, makes the shell sit completely flat)

The old plastic shell already has vent slots, and I have had no problems with the light, it barely gets warm.

Enjoy!
Old 04-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady33 View Post
That looks like a regular plastic hood like mine, the type that the light fixture lifts off separately and shine through a little glass window - is that correct?

If so you should have no problems with this one at all, even easier than mine. Your 30 gallon is 36" long, right? Here you go:
- Gut the light by removing the screws that hold the fluorescent fixture in place - cut wires were needed. The idea is to end up with just the plastic shell of the light.
- Buy a 24" or 30" Finnex Fugeray (measure the inside of you light to see what will fit)
- don't bother with the legs that come with the new light - just set the light directly on that glass window in the hood
- put the shell of the old light over the Fugeray to hide it - and you are done! No need for the new light to be connected to the shell at all, it is just for looks and to keep glare from coming out of the top.

You can cut a little notch in the shell for the power cord if you like (i did, makes the shell sit completely flat)

The old plastic shell already has vent slots, and I have had no problems with the light, it barely gets warm.

Enjoy!
Actually, mine is 32 inches if I recall correctly. I will have to get the measurements again. And the light part is just over 28 inches.

I was thinking of doing the 24", but like your guide stated, I fear it would leave the corners unlit. I do not know for sure. You can see with the light the way it is now, it has a 20" bulb, and gets to the corners barely.

Or I could do what you did, and modify a 30" (which appear to be sold out). I would not be doing this for a month or so from now anyways.

And yes, it has some nice, adequate vents at the top. It's an old Perfecto model.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

Get an ahsupply.com type of kit. It will fit your light strip and you can do it yourself...pretty cheap too.
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefStatic View Post

Or I could do what you did, and modify a 30" (which appear to be sold out). I would not be doing this for a month or so from now anyways.

And yes, it has some nice, adequate vents at the top. It's an old Perfecto model.
I cat to actually cut the body of my Fugeray to make it fit, my tank is only 30".
Old 04-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
Get an ahsupply.com type of kit. It will fit your light strip and you can do it yourself...pretty cheap too.
This isn't a BAD idea, but between the cost of the kit, and a bulb, I would spend as much on it as I would a 24" Finnex that would use much less energy and I imagine has a much higher PAR output with less heat.

Quote:
I cat to actually cut the body of my Fugeray to make it fit, my tank is only 30".
What was the overall length of your formally 30" Fugeray after cutting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe View Post
Mr Lowe... Any thoughts/information on when the Fugeray's with RED LEDS will be available?

Since I am not using my Fugeray-R on my Evolve right now (developed an algae problem, using a less powered LED while I sort this out) I am going to experiment with my current Fugeray-R to see what it would look like.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-15-2013 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by defstatic View Post
what was the overall length of your formally 30" fugeray after cutting?
28"
Old 04-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
28"
I gotta measure the inside on the hood to be sure. Thanks!

Ah crud... Was the reduction to 28" the least it would go? Because my light section is 28" on the outside. The inside room is more like 27 3/4. If you don't think I could reduce the size down another quarter of an inch, I will have to look at going with either 1 24" or 2 12".

Gotta be a Fugeray, not a Ray2, Ray 2 is just too much light for me. The only reason I was thinking 2 12" over 1 24" was I could space out 2 12" lights on the far edges of the opening, instead of having the 24" in the middle.

Thoughts?

Last edited by DefStatic; 04-17-2013 at 01:48 AM.. Reason: Added
Old 04-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow what a difference a light makes. And holy crap, looks like I could easily cut over an inch off each side.

I got a Fugeray 30" off a guy who only had it for a month. Said he needed something brighter. I know I am going from an ancient T12 to Finnex LED, but wow I could not imagine brighter!

Now I just gotta get it to fit.