How long can Ich live?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 04-26-2013, 04:38 AM   #1
Pinkie Pie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

How long can Ich live?

Hi everyone!
I was hoping if someone can tell me how long Ich can live. I currently have a spacious aquarium that's been running for years that use to have Ich almost a year ago. It use to be a goldfish tank, but the goldfish moved out a long time ago. Currently, I turned it into a planted aquarium that flourishes with different species of Anubias + some random guppies and Otos. None of the current residents have showed any signs of Ich (Ever) for a dozen months, but I'm just being paranoid. Paranoid that even if Ich can't penetrate any of the fish because they are too healthy, but yet can lie dormant and wait until the opportunity presents itself!

I want to add Clown Loaches to this 150 gallon, and I heard they are susceptible to Ich. Can a tank that had ich long time ago, STILL have it even if the parasite hasn't showed any visible signs? Is there a way to see if Ich's in your aquarium without waiting for it to happen?

I WAS thinking about adding Red Cherry Shrimp instead of Clown Loaches, but CLown loaches look like they can be super fun to watch and interact with!
Pinkie Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 05:33 AM   #2
chou
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

like you said ich can stay dormant and attack when the water quality starts to go bad.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:28 AM   #3
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

You should share those crack rocks and the ich will go away.
xmas_one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

It's immortal
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Option
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Ich can only lay "dormant" for about two weeks max without a host before it dies. If the water temp is cooler (< 80F) then perhaps one month max without a host but definitely not longer than that.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Just dont buy the clown laoches from the big chain stores, and your ich chance goes down 75% lol. It's not that they are more susceptible, it's they are scaleless fish, so they are super sensitive to treatment, and meds.

Your fine on any old ich that may of been on the tank in the past, just be careful of where you buy them from.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:00 AM   #7
Public Alias
Algae Grower

They must be related to Tardigrades or something. Just kidding. But they do seem to be incredibly resilient. I always wonder if all the tricks we use, from meds to high temps and extra salt are just going to lead to new strains of indestructible ich.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Public Alias View Post
They must be related to Tardigrades or something. Just kidding. But they do seem to be incredibly resilient. I always wonder if all the tricks we use, from meds to high temps and extra salt are just going to lead to new strains of indestructible ich.
There's already new strains being reported out of Florida from these huge fish suppliers. I swear i battled one a few months ago lol.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:53 PM   #9
rdmustang1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option View Post
Ich can only lay "dormant" for about two weeks max without a host before it dies. If the water temp is cooler (< 80F) then perhaps one month max without a host but definitely not longer than that.
+1

There is a whitepaper that gives proof on this. The whole "ich lying dormant for years" is an old wives tale.

Clown loaches are the coolest fish ever. Ok, that's not a scientific fact but my opinion. They really thrive in larger numbers (5+). I will say that around here every new shipment of clown loaches I've seen have had Ich. For a tank your size you really should have a quarantine tank to host fish for 2-4 weeks. If they check out then move them over.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:58 PM   #10
Grah the great
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Agree with above...ich cannot stay dormant for long. If a tank has all the occupants die of ich and the tank is left fishless for a month, there will not be any ich in the tank (though the ease with which ich can hide in a fish's gills means that it might regain ick quickly if one does add fish without quarantining them first!)
Grah the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:35 PM   #11
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

+1, icy can only survive for a month without a host.

On the clown loaches: Your plants might be uprooted. Only plant anything with a deep root systems.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #12
matt11390
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticLifeStyle View Post
Just dont buy the clown laoches from the big chain stores, and your ich chance goes down 75% lol. It's not that they are more susceptible, it's they are scaleless fish, so they are super sensitive to treatment, and meds.

Your fine on any old ich that may of been on the tank in the past, just be careful of where you buy them from.
Great advice. In my tank I was ich less for over 3 years and had a great school of cardinals for two years. I bought some livebearers from Pets Mart so they could produce live food for my angels. One week later ich popped up and I ended up losing all 20+ of my cardinals. I learned the hard way.
matt11390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:13 PM   #13
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, a lot of the fish no matter where the store is, all comes from the same source's. Mostly from place's like segrest farms with huge outdoor pond's that supply the big chain stores. I get tempted all the time, but the risk is too high, and the $ savings i could have end's up costing more treating the damn issues, not to mention the stress that goes with it.

Tags
ich