xenxes's 270g Planted Pond
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 04-14-2013, 04:01 AM   #1
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)

xenxes's 270g Planted Pond

Just bought my first house and dug this a few months ago one bored afternoon. DIY for $81 (cost for $80 pond liner & pump kit + $1 dish tray / washing bin from BigLots as waterfall / biomedia housing).

Out-of-pond flora

Weeds & clearance houseplants. I have no grass and don't water my yard, just drought-tolerant weeds that survived. Maintaining a lawn isn't very environmentally friendly imo--amount of water wasted & fertilizer/pest spray runoffs.

In-pond flora

Various self-made wabikusas from tank plant clippings, plants in planters, and plants directly in pond dirt covering maybe 60% of the area, a few floater hyacinths. I threw about 2-3" of dirt from the yard into the pond. It sits under a couple trees so lots of leaves + pretty tannic, but zero feeding/maintenance. Shrimp & snail eat leaves; fish eat bugs and shrimp, etc.

Fauna:

Goldfish and platies, as well as a throng of shrimp

Last edited by xenxes; 04-15-2013 at 02:56 AM.. Reason: z
xenxes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2013, 04:04 AM   #2
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

Here's a "before" photo:

Old 04-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
seandelevan
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Cool!
seandelevan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 01:14 AM   #4
wootlaws
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Nice start! Looking forward to more updates
wootlaws is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 01:35 AM   #5
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

it may be that i need coffee, and that i'm a little jealous. but i don't understand how this is a natural pond
Old 04-15-2013, 09:45 PM   #6
pweifan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (58/100%)

I like this a lot Keep adding to it!. Did you work in multiple tiers or anything "tricksy" like that?

We plan on moving to the NC/SC area in roughly 5 years. This is first on my agenda

Last edited by pweifan; 04-16-2013 at 02:31 AM.. Reason: Typo
pweifan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 01:39 AM   #7
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

scapegoat--Yea I wrote natural, I meant planted. The plastic dish tray & pond liner are anything but natural

pweifan--there is a "plant shelf" that's maybe 2' deep, the middle area is 4'. I'll try to get pics of the inside flora on a sunnier day.

Here is what the "tier" looked like:

I didn't buy any rocks or substrate, just used what was in the yard. I haven't tested the water yet either, can't imagine what the pH is like... at FL we naturally have coral rock = high pH but the falling and decomposing leaves should balance it out.

I threw in another 50 shrimp or so, probably all became fish food. The goldies are very active and getting big fast.

Last edited by xenxes; 04-16-2013 at 03:19 AM.. Reason: z
xenxes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #8
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wait a minute your in Miami and you actually have soil in your yard and not coral rock after 4 inches of depth, lol.

I imagine you did shovel lots of rock.

The pond looks great and after several yrs you will notice that your platies breed darker and darker which kinda stinks but the outside platies all do that.

As the saying goes when it comes to Bufo toads and Cuban treefrogs " If you build it they will come".

What type shrimps are those ? They are very pretty.

"high pH but the falling and decomposing leaves should balance it out"

It doesn't matter as far as fish go, if you go by the canals you see Oscars,jaguars,Mayans,red devils,jewels and they breed.

Thanks
Lia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013, 03:07 AM   #9
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

There was a ton of rock. A lot are piled near the waterfall box.

Saw a little brown-ish frog the other day.

Shrimp are rili. Platies are taking over the pond. The gold fish eat some of the fry but can't keep up with the population boom. Good mosquito control though.

Water is slightly clearer.. note all the fallen leaves :/
Old 04-23-2013, 03:31 AM   #10
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Geez you must be getting those Rili pretty cheap if you can just throw them into a pond full of fish like that.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #11
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
There was a ton of rock. A lot are piled near the waterfall box.

Saw a little brown-ish frog the other day.

Shrimp are rili. Platies are taking over the pond. The gold fish eat some of the fry but can't keep up with the population boom. Good mosquito control though.

Water is slightly clearer.. note all the fallen leaves :/
The little frog you saw if bit bigger than a dart frog is an hourglass frog , I love them because they are termite and ant eaters but they don't need a pond to breed but are attracted to moist areas.
At night you hear them in the yard, sound like crickets.

I would be interested in seeing how your rili shrimp do in mid summer . Platies are your best bet rather than golds because they laugh at summer heat and handle chilly winter days aslong as it warms up in a few days and it always does.

I would plant something to provide some shade over atleast 1/4 of pond whether plants in pots or bush's,etc.

Rainy season is coming up but when fall, winter hit you can always siphon some pond water into a plastic pale using small powerhead and tube to water your plants and add fresh dechlorinated water in the pond.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:43 AM   #12
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

I stopped dechlorinating water in my tanks & pond, not noticing a difference. Even the c. cantonensis are still getting berried and fairly prolific, the PFRs & rili doubly so. Vitamin C neutralizes chlorine/chloramine, and I'm sure there's plenty in a heavily planted pond. Shrimp really don't need much care.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #13
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
I stopped dechlorinating water in my tanks & pond, not noticing a difference. Even the c. cantonensis are still getting berried and fairly prolific, the PFRs & rili doubly so. Vitamin C neutralizes chlorine/chloramine, and I'm sure there's plenty in a heavily planted pond. Shrimp really don't need much care.

I was just curious to see how the shrimp did come the summer heat , platies could not care less if some shade but curious about the shrimp and it would be great if you let us know come mid summer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.