Pseudogastromyzon myers
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 04-22-2013, 04:05 AM   #1
jimgriz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Pseudogastromyzon myers

Chinese Hillstream Loach, pleco, or Borneo Sucker? My LFS called them by another common name and I can't remember it. All I can say is that I'm stoked on the newcomers.

Bought two of them and they are in the process of making themselves at home.
They have cleaned off the glass and are quickly deciding what rocks belong to who. Besides the algae in the tank, are there any other foods that I should be serving up for these two?
Thanks in advance!
jimgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 01:51 AM   #2
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Is there an algea type it's not eating?
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:21 AM   #3
jimgriz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstoND View Post
Is there an algea type it's not eating?
There doesn't seem to be enough for them to eat. They do a great job on the glass and rocks but they don't touch the plants that have algae growing on them. Didn't want them to go hungry. Thought there might be a supplemental food that I could give them every once in a while.
I added a few more 'river stones' (more smooth rocks) to hopefully encourage more algae since they love cleaning the existing rocks.

Last edited by jimgriz; 04-25-2013 at 02:33 AM.. Reason: adding additional info...
Old 04-25-2013, 02:46 AM   #4
res34
Algae Grower

Those are some beautiful fish. As for supplemental food, have you tried feeding them with veggies, like blanched zucchini slices? I do that with my otos (which seem to feed in a similar fashion) and they love the stuff.

You could also try algae wafers or, given that they're loaches (who for the most part like to eat snails), perhaps shrimp pellets?
res34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:14 AM   #5
the.koi.maiden
Algae Grower

Awesome! I'd love to get some one day, too. For extra food I've read about people making an algae farm of sorts in a plastic bin by the the window. Grow algae on large river rocks in that bin and switch them out from time to time with the rocks in the tank. It ensures they have enough algae to graze on.

Goldfish | Community | Koi pond | Carnivorous Plants
the.koi.maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #6
jimgriz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by res34 View Post
You could also try algae wafers or, given that they're loaches (who for the most part like to eat snails), perhaps shrimp pellets?
I tried the algae wafers, no luck... Shrimp pellets, good advice. Who doesn't like shrimp pellets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.koi.maiden View Post
Awesome! I'd love to get some one day, too. For extra food I've read about people making an algae farm of sorts in a plastic bin by the the window. Grow algae on large river rocks in that bin and switch them out from time to time with the rocks in the tank. It ensures they have enough algae to graze on.
Damn, this has to be the best idea yet. Rotating algae rocks is perfect. Im on it. Thanks for the replies!! You guys are awesome.