Richmond area
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Virginia

Old 03-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Richmond area

Moving to richmond in a few months... Just have a few questions.

What are the freshwater stores local to richmond like?

Anyone ever have any good aquarium deals? Petsmart sales?

Just trying to gauge what it is like
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
chale
Algae Grower

I've heard good things about Skoolz of Fish in that area. Look them up.
chale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

thanks for the response chale. I did see their website, not much to it. I wont be moving to town till end of july
Old 03-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

anyone know what sort of water parameters are in richmond or the surrounding areas?

I am coming from SD which is known for its hard hard hard water. My ph is around 7.8-8.2
Old 03-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
thinBear
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

http://www.richmondgov.com/dpu/docum...uality2011.pdf

this?
thinBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

ya.. i found after i posted that.. looks like water is pretty soft
Old 03-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
mpowers

Local club in Richmond, www.cvas.forumotion.com , has a wealth of area info from stores to nearby other clubs.
mpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
TimesAWastin
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by msawdey View Post
anyone know what sort of water parameters are in richmond or the surrounding areas?

I am coming from SD which is known for its hard hard hard water. My ph is around 7.8-8.2
I live in Northside Richmond, and my water has always been a pH of 7
TimesAWastin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

thanks for the info times. I want to get back into breeding angelfish and I strive for tap only water, Richmond may have the great water that i need. Or at least their water report suggests that
Old 03-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #10
constanzia
Algae Grower

welcome to the great state of Virginia. You are in for a treat moving to this coast. I live on the Potomac a great place if you are a water lover. Ton of oysters, rockfish, and cowhead rays and your occasional bull shark. Not a lot of really great mom & pop fish stores around here anymore. But you should swing down to VA beach and check out Animal Jungle they have everything aquatic and then some. Tanks go on forever!
constanzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #11
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

thanks constanzia.... good to know... I will probably be tearing down my big angelfish 50 for the move but keeping all of my equipment. Hopefully ill have the funds to buy a new tank and stand when i get there!
Old 04-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #12
Carson73

Theres Azalea Aquariums, which has a wide variety but isnt the cleanest. Theres also Fin and Feather, which has an okay variety. It's mostly Chiclids and Tetra
Carson73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

Being on the East Coast, ill probably just start ordering fish online
Old 05-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #14
VAtanks
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

You don't have to order Richmond to Virginia Beach is about 2 hours give or take traffic and your driving. Animal Jungle has or can get just about anything you want, just call before you come, fish prices are good equipment is on the high end, but they have I think like 120 freshwater tanks and just completely redid their salt side to include a really nice frag tank set up, its worth the drive, and they also have pond/bog stuff. Their fish range from fry to adults, really good selection of Discus and Angels, they do carry plants, bulb selection is almost totally for reef tanks though, so don't make the trip for bulbs. Wednesdays are their shipment arrival days in the past, and their tanks are on their own filter systems not one giant tank for them all like chain stores. Also if you like them on face book you get updates constantly on stock arrivals.
San Diego is one of my favorite spots, I deployed out of there of and on, and was a huge fan of Danny's Palm Bar for two years cheese burgers to die for.
VAtanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:29 AM   #15
Brian041
Planted Member

These are the main ones I use in order of how much I like them
Skoolz of Fish (downtown Richmond)- Best freshwater in the area in my opinion. Owner is really nice and has really different selection. Weird hours but you should at least visit sometime and check it out

Fish World (Midlothian) - My favorite saltwater store. They don't have much of a selection on site, but if you have a particular fish in mind they're usually able to get it for you

Richmond Aquarium (Midlothian) - They specialize in mostly saltwater, but they do have nice fish from time to time. Make sure you double check the fish before you leave though. Some associates have grabbed the wrong fish and I didn't notice till I got home. Asked for 5 emperor tetra and came home with 2 ETs and 3 black neons.

Azalea Aquarium (between richmond and mechanicsville on route 301) - Kinda dirty hole in the wall and the owner's an a** but most of the other employees are pleasant and fairly knowledgeable. They usually have some more exotic stuff such as rays, pacus, big catfish, big cichlids, etc...They also have other fish that you don't see too often such as black cories and dwarf cories. I've found your experience will vary in there depending on who is working.

Atlantis Aquariums (Henrico) - right next to Patterson Avenue Family Practice. The employees aren't much conversationalists and they don't have much as far as fish, but they have TONS of coral and coral frags. All saltwater. Nice store for reefs, but kinda so-so for anything else.

And of course the various Petcos and Petsmarts. Petcos I check from time to time because they change up their inventory fairly often so you might find something interesting if you're lucky and even luckier if it's in good health and even more lucky if you can track down someone to grab it for you. Petsmart is fairly stable as far as their fish go, they have a few different fish that pop up during one part of the year, but otherwise, fairly ordinary fish you can find anywhere. In most cases the fish I've gotten were in good health.

Apparently some walmarts still carry them, but most of their employees I talk to say they don't anymore because they kept dying (from no employee training on fish care). So if you find one that carries them, be sure they're in good health.
Brian041 is offline   Reply With Quote