Small container pond! Need help, please!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 04-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Small container pond! Need help, please!

So after reading several of these threads, I decided to start a small "pond" in a pot. I started to call this thread "Small Pot Pond" but I didn't want any one getting the wrong impression!! Hahaha

So here it is!

This pot is a plastic 22" container.

So now comes the part where I need help!!

What comes next? Should I use plants in smaller pots or just layer the bottom with some sort of dirt? Is there some particular dirt/substrate I should use?

I would like to grow some stems in this thing, but also want some growth above water too! I thought about trying to find a small water lily or teacup lotus, but I'm not sure where to go for those, I know I won't find them locally.

Being in SC I know heat will be an issue. I've got a spot on my front porch that will get plenty of sun but not direct afternoon sun. I think that might work but I am open to other locations too. I've got everything from no direct light to full sun!

I was thinking maybe stocking guppies or a Betta would be cool. The Betta probably wouldn't mind the higher temps too.

Please help!
johnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 02:12 AM   #2
Sharpchick
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

If you are primarily going to do stems, then gravel to anchor them would be fine, but you'll still have to fertilize.

If you want to actually plant them, then I'd do a dirt layer capped with either fine gravel or sand - but stems get nutrients from the water column, so dirt is really a waste for them.

For a dwarf lily or lotus, you'll have to use a small container with soil the consistency of clay and no potting soil. I'm not sure either one of those will work in a container that small, but you could try and then you'd know for sure. That might need to be the only plant you have in the pot.

The highest water temp for fish would top out around 82-84 degrees, and any fish would need some plants to hide under to avoid cooking in the sun.

I've ordered pond and bog plants from dragonflyaquatics.com, and been pleased with them. I don't know if they have the lilies or lotus you're looking for...
Sharpchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:57 AM   #3
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Consider papyrus (not dwarf papyrus) or cattails . The big papyrus will grow great if submerged in a foot of water.
The big one's have the red circle. If your winter is chilly than cattails like dwarf cattails are the best.

You can just plant them in a pot and submerge it in the middle of your "pond" .

I have a couple 20 gallon half barrels in the yard with ghost shrimp in one and the other loaded with scuds but both have endlers livebearers or guppies (hybrids are the best because they have the most color and don't mind chilly winter days in the 50s) for mosquito control and they thrive.

I don't use filters but do siphon water (not from bottom or will suck up my shrimp,etc) and use that to water plants and than add dechlorinated water.

If to much sun you get green water which has never in the slightest bothered the fish but best to keep the pots in dappled sun or shade area but not dark shade.

In your case you should get green treefrogs laying in it but in my case the mongol hoards have now arrived (Cuban treefrogs)and they are the worse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Papyrus.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	126849  

Lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:03 AM   #4
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpchick View Post
If you are primarily going to do stems, then gravel to anchor them would be fine, but you'll still have to fertilize.

If you want to actually plant them, then I'd do a dirt layer capped with either fine gravel or sand - but stems get nutrients from the water column, so dirt is really a waste for them.

For a dwarf lily or lotus, you'll have to use a small container with soil the consistency of clay and no potting soil. I'm not sure either one of those will work in a container that small, but you could try and then you'd know for sure. That might need to be the only plant you have in the pot.

The highest water temp for fish would top out around 82-84 degrees, and any fish would need some plants to hide under to avoid cooking in the sun.

I've ordered pond and bog plants from dragonflyaquatics.com, and been pleased with them. I don't know if they have the lilies or lotus you're looking for...

"dragonflyaquatics.com"

Great site thanks.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
Sharpchick
Planted Member

Sometimes I really envy you folks from FL - you get to garden almost year round...
Old 04-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpchick View Post
Sometimes I really envy you folks from FL - you get to garden almost year round...

Yes the weather is certainly for year round cichlids in ponds and outside bird aviary but that is about all there is to envy about Florida (I'm a NY transplant, lol).

I would think in AR you also get to garden all year long?
Old 04-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
Sharpchick
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia View Post
Yes the weather is certainly for year round cichlids in ponds and outside bird aviary but that is about all there is to envy about Florida (I'm a NY transplant, lol).

I would think in AR you also get to garden all year long?
Depends on where in the state you are and what you're growing.

I'm in central Arkansas, USDA zone 7, and have between 240-260 frost free days a year. In our modest Ozark and Boston mountains, there are considerably fewer frost free days.

ETA: Tropical plants are annuals for all of us.

Last edited by Sharpchick; 04-18-2013 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: to add more
Old 04-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

It's been a crazy week, I had a close friend pass away suddenly, so I've not had much time to think about this project much. I really appreciate the input though! I will probably try to go through and respond to things on Tuesday or Wednesday!
johnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:25 AM   #9
Sharpchick
Planted Member

Sorry to hear about your loss.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #10
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post
It's been a crazy week, I had a close friend pass away suddenly, so I've not had much time to think about this project much. I really appreciate the input though! I will probably try to go through and respond to things on Tuesday or Wednesday!

I am very sorry to hear about your friend.