How long does it take to cycle a 7g tank? 1 Week?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 04-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
JellyFishUnderwater
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

How long does it take to cycle a 7g tank? 1 Week?

Hi

I got a fluval ebi, filled it up, my bf gave me some pebbles, plants from his tank.

He will be giving me more media soon, some biomax.

Anyhow we have been putting in fish flakes, day 2 it started to go cloudy, its still cloudy, my bf said that's good as its the bacteria bloom, but we are confused because we have been testing the ammonia its around 0.50ppm but the tank has so much food in there it stinks and we thought that 0.50 cant be right.

So we thought we would test nitrite this early already and its off the scales its way past 5ppm pure purple it was to our surprise... we read it can take weeks to read nitrites so we are presuming as its a nano tank this process has been sped up significantly.

Should we just keep feeding the tank every 11 hours around that and keep testing until Nitrite falls, and wait for tank to clear up... am I doing this right, it seems like it is cycling just confusing this is day 4ish now and not sure where to go from here... its only a 30l tank and I plan to cycle it for yellow shrimp.

Thanks for any help.
JellyFishUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
Vepr
Planted Member

I think it is different for every tank regardless of volume in my experience. My 20 long had a much shorter cycle time than my 7 gallon. You could work in some water changes if you are not already to help drop the levels.
Vepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
JellyFishUnderwater
Algae Grower

Hey Vepr

Should we do water changes now then to reduce nitrite? Is high nitrite bad in a cycle? I always read different information everywhere, other places say keep ammonia and nitrite levels high till you see them dropping, and other says don't keep them to high because it could be bad to high for the bacteria, but mostly I read the high level's will make the bio filter a stronger colony of beneficial bacteria to start with.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Warlock
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

what you are doing is a "FISHLESS CYCLE".. you can google it.. LOTS Of info on this topic
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
JellyFishUnderwater
Algae Grower

Hey Warlock

Yeah I am doing a fishless cycle, this is why I am confused about water change suggested from Vepr and other anonymous guides. I have read just to keep going until I see nitrites go down and nitrate up then go for a 90% w/c but there are a lot of missleading guides with there own styles, apparently every guide I have read I should not be looking at nitrites until 3-4 weeks, so was concerned why day 4 I have nitrites already, I will leave it for now then..
Old 04-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

You said your boyfriend gave you pebbles from his tank, so I'm assuming those are used? If so then that's why you are seeing nitrites so soon. That gravel already had some good bacteria on it. I don't think it has anything to do with the size of the tank. Everyone does things a little differently, but personally I never did a water change until nitrates started showing up and then only if your nitrites are really off the charts.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
JellyFishUnderwater
Algae Grower

Hey rocksmom

Yeah my bf gave me lots of plants just to use for the cycle phase and some big pebbles, not substrate just like large one's (ornaments) he is going to give me some biomax to help soon as-well.

I will keep a close on eye on my nitrites then, there off the chart, and I have read it could make the cycle stall for a while, I guess if I can get some more media of my bf quickly, hopefully that will contain for nitrifying bacteria to help.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
Vepr
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyFishUnderwater View Post
Hey Vepr

Should we do water changes now then to reduce nitrite? Is high nitrite bad in a cycle? I always read different information everywhere, other places say keep ammonia and nitrite levels high till you see them dropping, and other says don't keep them to high because it could be bad to high for the bacteria, but mostly I read the high level's will make the bio filter a stronger colony of beneficial bacteria to start with.
I am no expert but if you are concerned with the levels of ammonia and nitrates you could do small water changes to drop them some. Personally I do small water changes during my cycles around 10 to 20 percent once or twice a week but it is more out of habit because that was the way I learned it from a friend. I am actually not sure if it helps or hinders the process honestly so take my advice with a grain of salt.
Vepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
JellyFishUnderwater
Algae Grower

Thanks Vepr for your help and advice

Looks like I will be buying my shrimp sooner then I thought if these readings are correct, I cant see how they are correct.

Yesterday I said my Nitrite was 5ppm well this morning its 0ppm, My bf's tank took a couple of weeks for his nitrite to slowly fall down and that was from around 2ppm so how can mine which was 5ppm fall down to 0 overnight? The tank also smells foul the house smells of it, the tank water is pretty much black from the rotting food.

I have not tested the Ammonia today but how the nirite has fell to 0ppm I am not to sure. From the readings they seem to suggest the tank is cycled? and I can begin to purchase some shrimp then do a 90% wc just before adding them? Or do I do the 90% a few days before I get them and then just feed the tank as I was, which is best?

Obviously I will give it a few more days and keep feeding the tank and keep testing the Ammonia and Nitrite to see if the readings are correct, just strange how this cycle has took 5 days?