So Maybe I Have A (20L) Shrimp Problem… - Page 23
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #331
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislewistx View Post
You are right, a little pricey. I was actually thinking of the buildmyled.com fixture with a dimmer for a 40b/ high tech/ CO2 tank I want to setup.

Have you used the Finnex Ray2 on any of your 20Ls yet? I know you commented at one point about it being a repackaged 24" fixture.

I have empty 20L tanks and 30" Finnex Ray2 fixtures. If you only have a concern about light spread I could probably toss one on and take a look at it. I obviously wouldn't be able to vouch for the growth rates (though with such a short tank the Ray2 should be tossing in significant amount of light).
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #332
madness
Wannabe Guru

Somewhatshocked: I think that a short tank like a 20L is probably the only situation where the Aqueon modular LED would provide truly sufficient lighting.

I have a 30" fixture with three daylight strips over a 29G low tech tank but it hasn't been running long enough to learn much. I mostly have floating plants in it anyways so I wouldn't be able to vouch for the amount of growth at the substrate.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #333
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

madness: I think you're right. Since the fixture will only be about ten inches or so from the substrate, I'm thinking a Colormax and two Daylights will suffice, maybe? Since it's just going to be Anubias nana (which are already so big they'll take up half the tank) and some moss.

It's probably the route I'm going to go so I don't have to spend a bunch of cash on this tank. Need to introduce some new Taiwan Bee blood to my existing lines and the extra dollars saved will go a long way toward that goal.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #334
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Bought a clip-on LED desk lap at Lowes earlier to go over the breeder box. It's actually about 5000K in color temperature, which is surprising. 24 1.4w diodes, cheapy brushed stainless steel. A ton of light.

Unfortunately, my MacBook Pro has gone to Appleland for a week or repair and I'm limited to my iPad. Will only be posting updated photos if I get the wild hair to use an FTP client on the iPad. Suffice it to say: the breeder box now looks really cool!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #335
CPDzeke
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Do you know what that light is called? Maybe post a link? I would love to see this!
ADA Gentleman #1
Treeless Mountain V3
CPDzeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #336
madness
Wannabe Guru

On a 20L I think that the single daylight would keep the anubias and moss alive but it might not display a ton of growth.

Not sure that you need all 3 strips installed though. 2 might cut it.

The PAR data available on these fixtures isn't super comprehensive but I think that 2 strips at 10" should be more than 15 PAR and maybe closer to 20 mmol.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:43 PM   #337
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Finally uploading images with my iPad (ugh - need a better app for cropping images to a particular pixel size).

Here are some rough shots from the iPhone of the new breeder box LED:

Since those images were taken, I've actually raised the light quite a bit and added a bit of fiberglass window screen on top of the box. Should be more than sufficient for moss.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #338
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Have started slowly moving Crypts and other random plants into the tank:

Breeder box update:

Old 04-21-2013, 11:16 PM   #339
Nami
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Just wanted to say that this thread is very inspiring.

I'm curious: What did you decide on for lighting? I noticed you had the marineland, then the coralife, and are now talking about the aqueon?

I'm trying to do something similar to the 20L's. You mentioned that you would get an aquaclear20 instead of sponge filter? Or in addition?
Nami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #340
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

All of those fixtures were on separate tanks. There's more than one tank here in the thread. There are currently Coralife fixtures on my tanks. The new one included. Will likely used an Aqueon Modular fixture I've got on-hand, though.

I wouldn't use an AC20 on a 20 gallon tank. AC50 at a minimum but ideally AC70 (which is what I'm using on the new tank) or AC110.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nami View Post
I'm curious: What did you decide on for lighting? I noticed you had the marineland, then the coralife, and are now talking about the aqueon?

I'm trying to do something similar to the 20L's. You mentioned that you would get an aquaclear20 instead of sponge filter? Or in addition?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:36 AM   #341
Nami
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Would you use a Finnex fugeray?

Could one bypass sponge filters if you have an appropriately sized AC?
Nami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #342
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Fugeray = algae farm without raising it or using CO2. You'll definitely want to check things out in the lighting forum.

You can use any kind of filtration you desire as long as it's able to process the amount of water your tank holds and can handle the population of livestock you've got in the tank. Sponges, HOBs, canisters. It's up to you, your wallet and what works best in a particular situation.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:55 AM   #343
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Looking forward to shutting the PRL tank down in a week or two when I move everything over to the new tank:

Lots of new babies.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #344
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

That's a lot of them, congrats. But you need to clean the window, and buy a macro lens from the proceeds.

Interesting comment with regards to the T5NO. I always thought of them as fairly cool running and energy efficient. Do LEDs make such a difference (assuming similar light levels)?
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #345
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Ha! Thanks. The tank is hidden away in my tank room, so I try to keep all sides and part of the front covered in algae when possible. It's become a tank where I chuck in whatever plant that needs to be cleaned up by the Amanos in there and whatever extra moss I've got - which inevitably gets eaten by the healthy (evil) scud population.

I've got a Canon T3i. Just so much more convenient to pull the old iPhone out of my pocket to snap a few photos. In fact, I don't think I've even taken my newest macro lens out of the original packaging... That's some real laziness, I admit. Shameful, in fact.

These T5NO fixtures raise the tank temperature about four degrees. When it's hotter than you-know-what outside and sticky humid, it gets tough to cool things down unless I remove the tops/add fans. Or crank up the AC. As I've transitioned away from T5s the electricity bill has dropped about $30. Was running a lot of them and have a few more fixtures to leave in the dust. In total, switching to more efficient tank equipment has allowed me to drop electric costs by about $50 on a monthly basis.

Just about any LED fixture I've used has had little to no impact on tank temperature, which is a plus for shrimp and cool water species. Huge cut in electrical costs. The less power I use, the more quickly I can fully convert to solar. Almost there.