Markos Mustard Gas Halfmoon Bettas - Page 8
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 04-17-2013, 03:57 AM   #106
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyhorse View Post
I'd also be interested in one maybe
Cool. I keep this thread updated so you will see when they are near selling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy View Post
marko, sorry if I am asking some pretty basic questions, but I really want to know why red is not a keeper for you? You're really getting good growth from this spawn.
No worries.
I am breeding a line of mustard gas fish. That means they need to be yellow. Yellow is recessive to red - which is why nobody I've asked seems to be able to explain how two yellow bettas made a 50% red spawn.
So red fish are automatically unsuitable for this line. Great for a red blue bicolor butterfly line though.
I get a lot of compliments and questions on my growth rate. Its actually very simple to achieve, it just takes a bit of extra work. The key is feeding them as much as possible, and massive daily water changes. Thats it.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:57 AM   #107
keithy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Thanks for the answer. I learned something from the "betta master" himself. Will be checking in regularly to see the progress.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #108
Rilly10
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Awesome pics! Thanks for the updates!
Rilly10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:22 AM   #109
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

got my camera back. couldnt get any good shots of the big fish, they hang out by the surface where its harder to get a shot, and move more. also cant color-correct my photos, so all the fish will look a little drabber than in real life. but anyway here they are:

ill try and take better shots tomorrow or the day after during the water change.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #110
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

some betta shots:

Old 04-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #111
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Love that dark fella.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:37 AM   #112
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

they are nice. how long can you keep them all together like that? ive heard a few times that if you raise them together some times males can be kept in the same tank. it doesnt happen to often but on rare occations it can
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #113
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsons2k View Post
Love that dark fella.
there are quite a few of them. the dragon scaling is more apparent on a darkbodied fish - so i find them quite pretty too. but the light bodied ones so far have better yellows... choosing the breeder might be tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
they are nice. how long can you keep them all together like that? ive heard a few times that if you raise them together some times males can be kept in the same tank. it doesnt happen to often but on rare occations it can
thank you.
until the males near sexual maturity. after they start flaring and nipping, they need to be jarred. if a bettas tail is nipped while it is still growing, it can deform. this doesnt really affect the fish much, and might even be slightly beneficial to a halfmoon (the sire of this spawn trims his own tail by nipping it), but it is undesirable and makes the fish very hard to sell. being difficult to sell is a huge problem for the fish, because fish i cannot sell online, have to be sold for store credit at the LFS - where they have about a 50% chance of being sold to someone who keeps them in an unfiltered bowl. i cannot keep every last fish.
i have not heard recently of a case where males were kept together. i have heard of one instance where a whole spawn was kept together in a very large tank (200 gallons if i remember correctly) and then the males coexisted by claiming territories and would breed with their sisters and offspring would be removed and raised elsewhere. its an attempt to simulate their natural environment. but i would never attempt such a thing. i hate it when my bettas interact when i dont mean to breed them - sometimes they manage to jump past the divider and under the lid of the barracks. just the other day the mustard gas sire and the female #2 (who i plan to breed to him an another month or two) ended up in the same chamber (the female jumped into his) and were in the early stages of spawning, unsuccessful embraces, when i removed her. both were pretty beat up since a 1 gal volume is too small for a safe spawning. both are fine though, and i added a dose of sulfatiozole just to be safe along with a waterchange.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #114
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

picked up 2 breeder traps from petsmart today, as i have finals next week and dont have time to care for jars just yet and im noticing nipped fins. so i separated out the 2 largest males. wanted to get 2 more, but they only had the 2. will try petco in a few days. its an excellent design actually. hangs outside of the tank and uses airflow to push water into it and overflows it back into the tank.
my cameras charger died, so until i get a new one, i can only take cell pics:

this little boy is a gorgeous OHM MG -

some good dragon scaling -

some more fish -

the two traps -
Old 04-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #115
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

try this

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-sup...box-small.html

Old 05-01-2013, 12:11 AM   #116
Neptoon'd
Planted Member

The betta in the first picture in your last post is very nice!
Neptoon'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:58 AM   #117
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
thats what i am using. lol got 2 of em set up, and wouldve gotten another one but they only had 2. and they will come in handy for when i breed shrimp to separate out culls before shipping and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptoon'd View Post
The betta in the first picture in your last post is very nice!
thank you. he is like a miniature version of his father, but with less blue on the tail, which is kinda what i was going for. i may keep him as a breeder, but there are a few other candidates.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:50 AM   #118
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

that is why i added the link its to kens fish and they are like $5.00 each online so might be able to get more that way
Old 05-01-2013, 02:32 AM   #119
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

im gonna check petco tomorrow or the day after for another 1 or 2. im not shelling out the cash to order them, especially since they wont arrive til next week, and at that point itll be days til i head home and can actually jar.
thanks for the thought though
Old 05-03-2013, 03:15 AM   #120
Wayne Dwops
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I find it so funny that many of them turned out red instead of yellow
Wayne Dwops is offline   Reply With Quote