Yay or Nay? Aquascape suggestions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 03-29-2013, 05:02 AM   #1
RunnerUW
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Yay or Nay? Aquascape suggestions

I think I read somewhere on this forum that starting a habit of cocaine would be less expensive than this hobby...can't argue against that right now but this is a much healthier habit!

Without many of you knowing, this forum has been super helpful in single-handedly keeping the UPS/FedEx/USPS drivers in my neighborhood busy. After 10 years of a 10g low-tech, non-CO2 tank, I'm moving up to a well-researched (thank you search function!) Mr. Aqua 17.4 gallon complete with the equipment mentioned in my signature. Aquasoil Amazonia came in today which means I can finally start working on an aquascape!

I'm pursuing an Iwagumi setup, most likely with a carpet of glosso and one or two other, yet to be determined mid and background plants. I've had difficulties sourcing quality rock in the Seattle area but I did find these 3 pieces at a LFS. I'm not crazy about them and am struggling to find something that works. I don't think I have a strong enough Oyaishi (primary) stone. I'd like to see it heightwise at least 2/3 up the tank. I could add more substrate but I think a bigger/taller stone would be good too. Another LFS is getting a small shipment of Seiryu stone tomorrow, maybe I'll find something better.

What do you guys think of any of these?...I'm an engineer so that creative side of my brain doesn't get much use, hopefully you guys have some stronger right brain cells

I'm excited to get this tank started and cycling but I'm also patient and want this to be setup in a way I'll enjoy for months to come, rather than always wanting to tear it apart and rescape.

Also building an ADA style this weekend, yay!

I kept these pictures small on purpose as the originals I uploaded are quite large. Is there a standard size that people try to insert into posts? 800x600? 640x480?

Last edited by RunnerUW; 04-22-2013 at 03:21 AM.. Reason: Changed title
RunnerUW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
Farmer
Planted Member

Runner,

From what I can see of the rocks (I think you could get away with a little larger pics) I think they look great interest wise. You are perhaps right that you could do with a larger stone. It is always better to have too many than not enough to work with. I do understand that it is harder to get rocks in the city but certainly not impossible. Go for a drive, look on the sides of the road, try and get out of the city.

Anyway with what you have I like pic #1. I think from straight on it would be fairly hard to fault. A larger pic from front on would be good.

The others I don't like.

If I were to try and change anything it would be the front stone. It seems a little flat for the others. Problem is if you give it much more height then the others will be too small.

Well done.

Lindsay
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Welcome! Another Washingtonian here

You could probably double the size of the pics. It would make it easier to see and help, if we can.

btw- GSAS (Greater Seattle Aquarium Society) is having their annual plant and fish auction in a couple of weeks.

What lfs is getting in Seiryu?

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2013, 04:07 AM   #4
RunnerUW
Algae Grower

Thanks Lindsay and bluestems!

I've watched a couple of James Findley's (thegreenmachine.com) builds on YouTube and thought "Wow, that guy spends a lot of time placing stones"...haha, now that I'm in that phase of a tank build I see where he's coming from

Cory up at Aquarium Co-Op in Edmonds got a 50# order of Seiryu stone this afternoon and I found 17# that I think will find a happy home in my aquarium. I'm much happier with these pieces as I think I now have a few different sizes to play with.

The first picture below you can see the Seiryu stone in the top row and what I think is Ryuoh stone in the bottom row.

Then I tried a couple of layouts with the new stones. Since we read left to right I think I'm partial to having the Oyaishi on the left 1/3 of the aquarium but that is also the side where I'm thinking I'll place my filter intake and outtake. So if I could bring people's eyes to the right side of the aquarium maybe they won't initially see the lily pipes (especially if I haven't got around to cleaning them!). Or maybe I just move the filter to the right side. So many options!

I'm looking forward to the GSAS auction on the 13th. I just joined a couple of days ago and that's how I found Cory's Aquarium Co-Op, a beautiful new store. You should go see it if you haven't yet. I really like that he is trying to source locally bred fish (I try to source locally grown food, now we can find locally bred fish, I love it!). It'll be great to meet some like-minded aquarium hobbyists through GSAS.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:50 AM   #5
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerUW View Post

I've watched a couple of James Findley's (thegreenmachine.com) builds on YouTube and thought "Wow, that guy spends a lot of time placing stones"...haha, now that I'm in that phase of a tank build I see where he's coming from

Cory up at Aquarium Co-Op in Edmonds got a 50# order of Seiryu stone this afternoon and I found 17# that I think will find a happy home in my aquarium. I'm much happier with these pieces as I think I now have a few different sizes to play with.

The first picture below you can see the Seiryu stone in the top row and what I think is Ryuoh stone in the bottom row.

Then I tried a couple of layouts with the new stones. Since we read left to right I think I'm partial to having the Oyaishi on the left 1/3 of the aquarium but that is also the side where I'm thinking I'll place my filter intake and outtake. So if I could bring people's eyes to the right side of the aquarium maybe they won't initially see the lily pipes (especially if I haven't got around to cleaning them!). Or maybe I just move the filter to the right side. So many options!

I'm looking forward to the GSAS auction on the 13th. I just joined a couple of days ago and that's how I found Cory's Aquarium Co-Op, a beautiful new store. You should go see it if you haven't yet. I really like that he is trying to source locally bred fish (I try to source locally grown food, now we can find locally bred fish, I love it!). It'll be great to meet some like-minded aquarium hobbyists through GSAS.

I like the new stones! The first layout in the post above is pretty nice, but what it needs is something to balance it. All the motion form the rocks is going in the same direction. If you study iwagumi layouts from great aquascapers you'll see that almost all good iwagumi have a secondary stone or two going against the main flower, to balance it out. That's what I think this one needs. Also with the main stone being all the way to the right and its motion also going to the right, it draws your eye away from the tank.
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
DieFranz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

I'm also in Seattle (capitol hill) and I've always wanted to find a place locally that has more aquascaping stuff than the store I usually go to. I get plants from The Fish Store in the U-District- they often have a pretty good selection- but the hardscape options are a bit lacking. I'll have to check out the place you mentioned!
DieFranz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #7
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

just a heads up if you dont want to pay an arm and a leg for stones, just go to your local rockyard/landscaping yard and buy rocks there... if you are not sure if the rock is safe or not just test with viniger and Muriatic Acid
Old 04-02-2013, 06:21 AM   #8
RunnerUW
Algae Grower

They were slowly getting a few hardscape options in. He was expecting some Manzanita driftwood in last week and maybe he'll be putting another order in for more stone. In any case, the place is cool to see just for the fish.

I was getting close to a scape I likedn (see picture below, ignore the dirty glass and the glare) and decided to put in a little more aquasoil to boost the overall slope as well as the height of the primary stone. I bought 9L from ADGshop and 3L from a LFS. Well, I didn't pay attention and apparently the New Amazonia is a different color than the Amazonia I or II. I don't know what I got from the LFS but it definitely has a different font on the bag. Sort of sucks. I just placed another order for a 3L New Amazonia bag from ADG, now we do the waiting for the USPS person game...fun! I didn't know they were different colors. I knew they had some different properties (potential to cloud the tank being one such property) and I was ready for that. A different color, not so much. Sure, I could have probably mixed it in or put as a bottom layer but I'm trying to stick to one substrate in case I end up rescaping in the future.

Oh well.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
Farmer
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerUW View Post

LOL, that aint a long time. Months is a long time! But you don't need that long.

Quote:
I love both types of rock.

Quote:
Your scape will be so good that no one will see the pipes hopefully

I like this one. But I agree with Orchidman and there is something not right with the way everything points right.

Lindsay
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 03:20 AM   #10
RunnerUW
Algae Grower

I've been so focused lately on building a stand that new aquascapes didn't cross my mind. But now that that part of this tank build is mostly behind me I'm back with another yay or nay for rock formation.

What do you think of this formation? Ideas or suggestions?

Right now the plants I'm planning on are all low growing. I'm planning on glossostigma in the front, Staurogyne Repens up closer to the big rock and this plant closer to the back. I'm still learning my plants, this came from another user, what exactly is it?

Old 04-22-2013, 03:26 AM   #11
dasob85
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

I like the rock scape. I'm horrible with plants so... but does anyone else see the ghost in the picture?
dasob85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 04:18 AM   #12
karce87
Long-time Lurker

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to karce87

That is dwarf sag and you've got a good hard scape going on.
karce87 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013, 04:30 AM   #13
RunnerUW
Algae Grower

Thanks for the feedback and plant identification. Dwarf sag is pretty common, I should have been able to figure that out...I won't forget next time now though.

I'm going with a very similar hardscape as shown above, the front left smaller rocks were moved a bit closer to the front glass, the sloping was increased a bit and leveled out in other places.

Just about time to DSM! I'll continue this all in my recently started journal...
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=311681

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.