My first planted tank! - Spec V
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 04-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
Rilly10
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My first planted tank! - Spec V

Hi everyone! I have been working on my first planted tank which is a Spec V. So far I have all stock options, but did replace the carbon with Purigen. I also plan on removing the floating log at some point when I get some more plants in here. As for what is in there now, I have Fluval Stratum as substrate, Monapi wood, a Java Fern, and Anubias (not sure what kind), a Marimo moss ball, and an Ozelot Sword. For floaters I have some Azolla and Dwarf Water Lettuce.

I am hoping to add a few more plants and also a replacement light. I am wanting to stick to a low tech, low-med light set up. Does anyone have any recommendations/improvement suggestions on more plants or a new light? In regards to a light I need to be able to still use the lid as I have a Betta in here now and don't want him to jump out!

Also is there any other livestock you would recommend to add in this tank? I was thinking some shrimp and/or maybe a snail? Oh, and sorry for the terrible pics, the wood is still leaching tannins so the water is a bit tea like
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	get-attachment-1.aspx.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	130497  

Rilly10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

That's a nice start! I think some shrimp would look great in there!

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
Rilly10
Algae Grower

Thanks! I was thinking of Neo Fire Shrimp or maybe even a Dwarf CPO crayfish? Just not sure how they will do with the Betta?
Old 04-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
micheljq
Planted Tank Obsessed

Bettas usually like shrimps at breakfast.

Last edited by micheljq; 04-22-2013 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: typo
micheljq is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Default My first planted tank! - Spec V

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheljq View Post
Bettas usually like shrimps at breakfast.
And lunch.

And after dinner if they're feeling like a snack

Seriously though, might end horribly for the shrimp

- Mumford

20 Gallon Long - Work in Progress
Mumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
Alaskan Fishface
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Nice looking Betta, maybe a couple bamboo shrimp?
The Fraternity of Dirt #126 - Daughter of the Dirt
10 gal community tank
5.2 Mr. Aqua - Blue Velvet/pygmy cory tank
6 gal Fluval Edge - PFR/cory haustas tank
2 gal Betta Jar
Alaskan Fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
Rilly10
Algae Grower

Gotcha! I will hold off on the shrimp! LOL! I am planning a separate shrimp tank also so no biggie! What about a snail or a few Otos?

Also any ideas for more plants? Or a better light? I think it looks ok so far, but deff doesn't wow me even being a newbie. I just feel like it is missing something....just don't know what! I am also thinking of maybe moving the Java Fern btw the Ozelot Sword and Anubias, then maybe adding something taller like Water Sprite or a tall grassy looking plant to the right?

Last edited by Rilly10; 04-22-2013 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: Added
Old 04-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
Rilly10
Algae Grower

So no ideas for additional plants or a new light? I searched old threads for replacement lights, but many were never updated or were people wanting to make it high light.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You could add some moss to the driftwood to make it look more interesting and some nerite snails and an amano (maybe on that amano) to help with algae. You can probably get away with the amano of you had some more hiding places for it.
Shrimpo_Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #10
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would also tie the java fern to the driftwood, to prevent the rhizome from rotting.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #11
Rilly10
Algae Grower

Thanks! I have the Java Fern tied to a rock...is that ok? Or is driftwood better for it? Amanos are deff an option! I think the local mom and pop petstore have them in stock. Petco is supposed to be getting Nerites in on Weds too so I will see if any are alive this shipment (last ones all were DOA).
Old 04-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #12
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilly10 View Post
Thanks! I have the Java Fern tied to a rock...is that ok? Or is driftwood better for it? Amanos are deff an option! I think the local mom and pop petstore have them in stock. Petco is supposed to be getting Nerites in on Weds too so I will see if any are alive this shipment (last ones all were DOA).
Anything is okay as long as the java ferns rhizome is not in the substrate. I think PetCo has only saltwater nerites, and they will probably die in the spec, even though they are both fw and sw. Try getting them online or at a local fish store.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:41 AM   #13
Rilly10
Algae Grower

Ok thanks! That would explain why they all died being dropped in the Molly tank
No one had amono shrimp either.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #14
jovonhaln
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Nice first attempt, looks good... maybe some dwarf stuff in front (hairgrass etc.) or babytears? Just a thaught but I seriously overplant (so I'm told) guess it comes from seeing all those "dutch" aquariums when I started (got my first tank in '74)
Old 04-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #15
Oneiros
Algae Grower

I setup a Spec V a couple months ago. I upgraded the light to a Fugeray 16", which fits on the Spec's lid perfectly.

Other specs of the tank - organic potting soil capped with Fluval Shrimp Stratum. Light Flourish Excel dosing. Was dosing Leaf Zone until I started getting green hair algae, which was probably responding to the iron in the supplement, so I stopped that. Tank has 4 large Moscow guppies (babies at any moment) and 2 Amano Shrimp. Hitchhiker ramshorn snail that I kept because he looks cool. I also have a Mopani wood "branch" at about a 45 degree angle in the tank, making a nice arch for fish to swim under.

Here's the plants I have in it and my experiences with them so far with this particular setup:

Luwidgia Repens: Responded well to the light, growing about 3/4 of the height of the tank in 3-4 weeks. With the brightness of the Fugeray, the leaves grew densely together at the plant's top, getting longer and narrower than what you typically see pictured. However, this density shaded the leaves closer to the bottom the stem, causing them to all fall off. Plant this sort of behind something to hide the bare bottoms.

Wisteria Difformus: Similar to the Luwidgia, this grew almost to the top of the water, getting much denser at the top. Also turned a lighter shade of green. The bottom leaves didn't die, but instead side-shoots formed, a couple growing horizontal along the substrate about 5-6 inches. They started blocking light of other plants, so I pulled the whole thing, as it was intended as a "place-holder" until the Luwidgia took off anyway. Didn't expect the huge root mass that had developed already! Messy.

Narrow-leaf Anacharis: Originally meant as a floating water-column nutrient soak, I ended up cramming several stalks into the substrate, and then it really took off. Leaving aerial roots that eventually grow into the soil. Keep trimming main stems right above any side shoots, and it's gotten nice and bushy, jungle-y even. Should make a nice place for guppy fry to hide. Planted along the back glass to hide outlet/cords behind the tank. Also, this form of Anacharis is not susceptible to melting from Excel.

Anubius Nana: It's gotten a couple of leaves since I put it in the tank, and hasn't lost any, so it's doing well. Slow growing as is typical for this plant, especially since it's in the shadow of the Mopani wood.

Crypt Wendtii (Florida Sunset): Split this in two when I got it, planted in diagonally opposite corners of the tank. No crypt melt at all. Larger one tripled number of leaves and height in just over a month; smaller, more shaded one doubled its leaves. Even planted two pieces of the rhizome that broke off when I took it out of the original pot, jammed them in the substrate, and both pieces sprouted leaves already.

Dwarf Sagittaria: Had two pieces of this, less than half an inch in size, that hitchhiked on another plant. Stuck them in not really knowing what they were, but thought they might make good foreground plants. Now I wish I put them further back, as the largest has leaves 4-5 inches in length. Both have sent out runners with daughter plants popping up already.

Java Moss: This was attached to the Mopani wood when I transferred it from another tank. The wood is easily removed from the tank so I can trim the moss back when needed (done once already). Would only recommend this moss if you can do the same, or don't care about it taking over a portion of the tank. It can also get messy looking as it easily catches crap floating around in the tank.

You'd think with all those plants my tank would be a jungle, but it's still a little sparse for my liking (especially after I pulled the Wisteria out). But now I'm ready to sit back and let things just fill out on their own over the next few weeks to months.

As a foreground suggestion, I managed to get ahold of some narrow-leaf micro-sword for another tank, and its doing pretty well. Seems a bit easier to care for than regular micro-sword.

Hope any of that was helpful

Last edited by Oneiros; 04-23-2013 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: Anachris and Excel
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote