Rex Reactor - what the heck am I doing wrong?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 04-22-2013, 06:02 AM   #1
mo2vation
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Rex Reactor - what the heck am I doing wrong?

So I've built three of these now.

Actually, I've built more like 7 or so. I have three in service at the moment.

On my 90g Monsters, I'm using 2" PVC. The pipe is about 16 or 17" long. With the fittings, they stand about 22" or so. I think.

I'm running them on a 500+ GPH pump. Yes - flow from top down, CO2 Tube inserted in the correct place, etc.

I get bubbles. Albeit small ones, but bubbles.

On my 29g with the Eheim 2217 and spray bar, I get them too. This Rex Reactor one is using 1.5" pipe - about the same length. I get bubbles out the spray bar, and because the spray bar is so close to the surface, I get teeny bubbles on the surface... no champagne. I can't imagine that being better than a diffuser that was at least getting bubbles into the column.

I've read they blow bubbles at first. OK. I've been waiting. I've been shaking. I re-built and re-drilled the hole for the CO2 hose pull-through to make it even smaller and tighter - in case I may have been introducing bubbles in from that inlet.

I'm confused.

Widespread reports of their successful diffusion of gas into solution and I've not found that to be the case. My oldest has been in service for nearly 10 days. The most recent about a week.

What am I doing wrong? Are they TOO long? Is there only a, say 50% or 75% diffusion rate to be expected, and there will always be at least some bubbles?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

-Ken
mo2vation is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
Mark Fisher
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I had the same experience. At first I thought my pump (Eheim 1250, 317 gph) was underpowered, so I upgraded to an Eheim 1260 (635 gph), but I still had bubbles in the output.

I've since installed a Mazzei 584 venturi injector and the bubbles have disppeared.
Mark Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

I had the same problem until I put a ball valve on the pump to reactor hose and dialed the pressure down a hair, no more bubbles.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
mo2vation
Algae Grower

Default So where did you install this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
I had the same experience. At first I thought my pump (Eheim 1250, 317 gph) was underpowered, so I upgraded to an Eheim 1260 (635 gph), but I still had bubbles in the output.

I've since installed a Mazzei 584 venturi injector and the bubbles have disppeared.
Not that I know what it is. Sounds like a piece you put inline and inject the CO2 into the input hose before it hits the reactor, as opposed to injecting it directly into the reactor body?

-Ken
mo2vation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
Mark Fisher
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo2vation View Post
Not that I know what it is. Sounds like a piece you put inline and inject the CO2 into the input hose before it hits the reactor, as opposed to injecting it directly into the reactor body?

-Ken
Exactly! The Mazzei does such a great job of atomizing the CO2 I cannot see any bubbles exiting from it. I may eliminate the reactor body as I am no longer certain it is needed.
Mark Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #6
Bandit1200
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your problem may not be the length but the diameter. Too small of a diameter and/or too much flow will cause the premature exit of the bubbles which lets then enter your tank. Personally I'd not want to reduce the flow so an increase in the diameter would be your solution I think.
Bandit1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:24 AM   #7
Zolek
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

The faster the flow the larger the bubbles it will push out. Slow the flow down.
Zolek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:44 AM   #8
mott
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

I agree with bandit, you need a fatter reactor!

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
mott is online now   Reply With Quote