Paintball CO2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 04-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
Cyanider
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Question

Paintball CO2

I'm planning out my next tank, and was considering a paintball CO2 setup since it's a bit cheaper. I found this regulator for ~$30, which I've seen a few other people here use...

http://www.harborfreight.com/regulator-gauge-94841.html

My question is, with an adapter, will this be okay to use with paintball CO2? I noticed it has the wrong output gauge, could I just replace that with a normal 100psi pressure gauge?

My reason for getting this instead of the typical on/off valve for paintball CO2 is that I want to use a solenoid with this, so I am not gassing the fish at night or wasting CO2. Would this be worth it, or should I just get a paintball co2 setup from SnS (on/off valve, no regulator)?

Thanks!
Cyanider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanider View Post
My question is, with an adapter, will this be okay to use with paintball CO2?
Yes, just switch out the CGA580 for the (included, I presume) CGA320 nipple and nut.

Quote:
I noticed it has the wrong output gauge, could I just replace that with a normal 100psi pressure gauge?
Yes.

Quote:
My reason for getting this instead of the typical on/off valve for paintball CO2 is that I want to use a solenoid with this, so I am not gassing the fish at night or wasting CO2. Would this be worth it, or should I just get a paintball co2 setup from SnS (on/off valve, no regulator)?
I would advise against getting an on/off valve only. With an actual setup, you can switch to using a normal (CGA320 valve) CO2 cylinder if you decide to upsize in the future.

As you are already aware, you will need a solenoid. You will also need a needle valve and all the appropriate fittings as well.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #3
Cyanider
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Thanks for the reply! I'm still weighing between the two.. I already have a traditional co2 setup, but was looking for something cheaper, since most regulators are rather expensive (except the Harbor Freight one..)

I may give the cheap on/off valve a shot, hopefully it works well enough. I'll probably try running it 24/7 and throw an airstone on a timer in the tank for overnight. We'll see how it goes!
Cyanider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
herns
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (228/100%)

I would rather use this thread for my inquiries on paintball set up.

I was looking for a CO2 regulator that is not too obtrusive for my new 2.5G setup. I have never used a paintball set up before so recommendations would be very helpful. The regulator and paintball Co2 tank will sit next to the tank, secured.

I was looking on this paintball reg on e bay item
130829917635. The seller mentioned this doesn't fit with paintball CGA320 cylinder.

Will that reg work on this tank. Item: 170951670334
Do I need O rings? Item no. 271140889003

I would appreciate and consider additional list that I may needed to efficiently run this set up.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by herns; 04-21-2013 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: info added
herns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:59 AM   #5
vvDO
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

To the OP...
I would recommend staying away from a simple ASA on-off setup especially on such a small tank. For one, saftey... You are basically working with 800psi. 2nd a small adjustment in bubble rate on a small tank could mean disaster for any fish/shrimp.

Herns...
That eBay reg is confusing... It looks like it's made for paintball however it could be the other way around... Made for 320 however need an adapter to use a paintball tank. One picture even shows an ASA on-off valve on the tank. I use a similar paintball tank and I changed its o-ring immediately.
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
vvDO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
herns
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (228/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvDO View Post
Herns...
That eBay reg is confusing... It looks like it's made for paintball however it could be the other way around... Made for 320 however need an adapter to use a paintball tank. One picture even shows an ASA on-off valve on the tank. I use a similar paintball tank and I changed its o-ring immediately.
I was exchanging messages of a HK e bay seller and he mentioned he has a CGA 320 adapter for sale to work with US paintball tanks.

I'll post update when I get the photo I requested.
herns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
Jester946
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Herns, any drawbacks on the harbor freight regulator?
Jester946 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
co2, paintball, regulator