pH incompatibility
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 04-22-2013, 01:48 AM   #1
Smeagol
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

pH incompatibility

I've got Platies, which like pH > 7. And I've got Harlequin Rasboras, which like pH < 7. My pH is pretty low. I'd say somewhere in the 6.4 to 6.6 range. That's bad news for the Platies. What kind of effect will this have on them? What will happen to my poor platies if I continue to keep them in the wrong pH? Is there a good safe way to raise the pH to neutral 7?
55g: Finnex Planted+ & MonsterRay, Pressurized CO2 w/ Atomic inline diffuser, Eheim 2217, Eco-Complete, EI ferts. Assorted Tetras, Otos, & Nerites. Glosso, Didiplis diandra, Hygrophila corymbosa, Creeping Jenny, Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia glandulosa, Jungle Val, Amazon Sword, Red Melon Sword, Wisteria.

20g high: 2x24w T5ho, DIY CO2 & Excel, 2xAC50, Flourite, miscellaneous ferts.
Otos, Red Wag Platies, Harlequin Rasboras. Marsilea quadrifolia, Jungle Val, Cabomba, Tropica Sword, Water Sprite.

Last edited by Smeagol; 04-22-2013 at 01:59 AM.. Reason: correction
Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 02:05 AM   #2
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

pH isnt all that important for most fish, so long as it is stable. its just the concentration of the hydrogen/hydronium ion: H+/H30+ (H+ + H2O -> H3O+). i wouldnt worry about it too much. but some livebearers like some salt, and that is a different story.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

I have my platies in about 6.4 pH. As long as you have acclimated them appropriately, and maintain stability then you should be ok. My platies bred until they all died from inbreeding issues.

Though interestingly enough, pH is not as much of an influence as TDS is due to osmotic regulation.
pandamonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
Mizuhuman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
I have my platies in about 6.4 pH. As long as you have acclimated them appropriately, and maintain stability then you should be ok. My platies bred until they all died from inbreeding issues.

Though interestingly enough, pH is not as much of an influence as TDS is due to osmotic regulation.
Oh, thats good to know. I was planning to buy mollies to fill my 29g. Do all livebearers die out from inbreeding?
Mizuhuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
msawdey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

eventually they can, mine lasted for years... Ill never own another live bearer again, they are like rabbits