Stiphodon Goby Tank Question!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 04-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
whiteblaze11
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Stiphodon Goby Tank Question!

So I have been researching about these really cool gobies and was wondering if somebody knows how many I maybe can keep in a 10 gallon aquarium?

I know they like a mature aquarium with algae growth and current along with over filtration to mimic the rivers they come from.

Is it possibly to get the "River Effect" in a 10 gallon? Could I just use a power head to get the effect?
whiteblaze11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I have 2 males & a female in my 40 and they seldom travel more sq. in area than a ten gl tank has. They dug a cave under a rock/driftwood hardscape and stay near it. They do like cooler water 72ish. Algae wafers would be good to keep on hand in a newer tank.

The female cleaning up algae:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D3Wkq4jbQM
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
whiteblaze11
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Cool so could I get a few pairs you think in a 10 gallon? Was also thinking about some Neo shrimp with them too.
I have a finnex ray 2 light for the tank that I have extra which should be good to help grow algae?
Do you think just adding an internal filter along with the aquaclear 20 I have will make a good flow of water instead of buying a powerhead?
whiteblaze11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (441/100%)

A few pairs in a 10? Definitely wouldn't do that. While some may not travel too far in a particular tank, they definitely love their territory. And the more aufwuchs available per fish, the better.

If you can, go with a 15gal or 20gal long.

There's tons of information available online but you could also start with forum sponsor Rachel/msjinkzd. She's got quite a bit of information available about them.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
Loachutus
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

I'd have to agree with Somewhatshocked, 15 or 20 would be better. You could also build a river tank manifold, that would help you create the river effect you're looking for.

An awesome thread on stiphodons by odyssey over a loaches.com, http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15686

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.