Moving house with Aquasoil
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 04-22-2013, 04:01 AM   #1
snafuspyramid
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Moving house with Aquasoil

After a nasty tank crash and losing half my livestock, Iíve decided itís time for a major tank revamp.

This is a 90 gallon planted tank thatís been established for three or four years.

As part of that, I want to replace my substrate (currently pool filter sand).
I like the ADA Aqua Soil Ė the new one - sold by Exotic Aquatic near me for a reasonable price.

My only concern aside from cost is that I will have to move house at least once in the lifetime of this tank, probably twice.

If I were to move house with this tank Iíd necessarily need to disturb the substrate. Specifically, Iíd need to largely remove it from the tank and then replace it a few hours later at a new location (I wonít be moving far).

That is a problem because the fish need to be re-established in the new tank immediately, as there is nowhere else for them to live in the interim.

Is there any way to make this workable?
snafuspyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 05:30 AM   #2
zico_aqua
Planted Member

IMO - the moment you end up stirring the soil - the aerobic pockets will open up and it needs ideally atleast 24 hours to stabilize a bit. So my suggestion - whenever you move and put the soil back in - during fill up, fill from one pipe and drain from the second till the time you see the suspended particulates to be considerably reduced, this is one step to help your beneficial bacterial layer in your filter to be safe from getting clogged and function what it's intended to do - eat up stirred up nitrates, plus since this will be kindof a method to wash the soli as well so inturn it'll get cleaned. if your fish aren't that huge in size put them in a bucket for 12 odd hours with a air pump running and they will be fine. add some stabilizing product in the tank water and vigorously use air pump plus full filter flow to clean up, things should be fine. I have done this quite a few times and *touch wood* there have been no fatalities till date.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

Few of my works
zico_aqua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:19 PM   #3
snafuspyramid
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sounds like fun, at worst I can always move the 20 gallon fancy goldfish tank first and keep the tropicals in that for a few days while I wait for the substrate in the 90 to settle (of course goldfish would be demoted to a 30 gallon bin).

Another quick question. I want to keep natives, which don't do well in a pH below 6.5. Will this substrate necessarily drop the pH that low? My water is very very soft and approximately 6.5 straight out of the tap, I actually want to mess with it as little as possible.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:28 AM   #4
Jester946
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafuspyramid View Post
Sounds like fun, at worst I can always move the 20 gallon fancy goldfish tank first and keep the tropicals in that for a few days while I wait for the substrate in the 90 to settle (of course goldfish would be demoted to a 30 gallon bin).

Another quick question. I want to keep natives, which don't do well in a pH below 6.5. Will this substrate necessarily drop the pH that low? My water is very very soft and approximately 6.5 straight out of the tap, I actually want to mess with it as little as possible.
My tap is 7.8, and amazonia buffers my PH to 6.2 without co2.
Jester946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:50 AM   #5
zico_aqua
Planted Member

Amazomia have a way of lowering your pH value, on the contaray any off-shelf commercial soil does that. Now with your tap water being that soft amazonia will reduce it even further, your only way out is to add some buffer to increase the pH value towards more alkaline range, but please be advised in higher alkaline condition plants don't thrive that well. So keeping natives might be a bit tough. EA is a very good store and (I guess the owner is Adrian) he can suggest on buffering agents based on your water chemistry out there

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

Few of my works
zico_aqua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:52 AM   #6
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

I would be tempted to leave the substrate alone, in the tank. Just siphon out all of the water, then be very careful to keep the tank reasonably level during the move and repositioning of the tank in the new place. If the substrate doesn't slosh around, and you should be able to tell by looking at it, it may not be disturbed enough to be a problem. Then you could just fill the tank and acclimate the fish to the new water. However, I haven't tried this. I will face the same problem with a 65 gallon tank when I move, which may be in the next year.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #7
snafuspyramid
Planted Tank Obsessed

I need the ph at 6.5, so not alkaline exactly. But I'll certainly need to look into it further.

@Hoppy, the tank is too heavy to move with substrate in, sadly.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #8
bankruptjojo
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

my UP aqua soil took my 7.8ph and 3kh down to 6.6ph and 0kh. i dont think keeping natives in aqua soil would be a good idea.
33g long cherry shrimp, 8 pygmy corys, 5 ottos
15g 2 GBR
bankruptjojo is online now   Reply With Quote