Which is more accurate? (huge pic, thermometer)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
Jester946
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Which is more accurate? (huge pic, thermometer)

Which is more trustworthy? Not sure which to go off of, to be honest, and 4 degrees is a LARGE spread.
Jester946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
ckraft
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile

Only thing I know is to look at a bunch of thermometers in a store and pick one that agrees with the most. Really accurate thermometers are really expensive.

When you have a clock you'll always know what time it is, when you have two clocks you'll never know what time it is.
ckraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

A glass thermometer with the scale etched or printed on the glass is likely to be pretty accurate. When the scale is on a card attached to the mercury or alcohol tube, the accuracy can be very bad. Digital thermometers are as accurate as the manufacturer designs them to be and has the quality control to maintain that accuracy. I know that's not a big help, so I would trust the glass thermometer more than the digital one.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
....I would trust the glass thermometer more than the digital one.

I have a Fisher Scientific Co Thermometer (Glass) I got from e>bay. It's marked -20 to 110C. It's the old Mercury type. There are getting harder find but, very much worth the effort. I use it as my 'True' temp. benchmark against my cheap Aquarium heaters that I only use as a quick gauge of the temp.

I found the Digital Themometer to be spot-on to the glass after 1 year. For those that are mathematically stressed by Fahrenheit to Celsius conversion, simple google search you math problem into google search, "24C to F" and a nice little traffic pops up telling the answer is 75.2 degrees F.

Last edited by DogFish; 04-21-2013 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: sp
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
GlennR
Algae Grower

The glass one will remain as accurate as when new for as long as you have it. The digital "may" drift over time and you wouldn't realize it. I'd use the digital one because my old eyes can read it, but keep the glass one on hand to check it occasionally. I'd use the glass on whenever your heater needs readjusting, just to be sure you get the temp dialed in if the thermostat drifted for some reason.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Why not use a test such as placing both in ice, in a cup.
should read around 32 degrees farenheit very quickly.
Simple reference test should help identify which is more accurate, or if there is a delay with the digital one.

~George Orwell~

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

~Charles Darwin~
Maechael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maechael View Post
Why not use a test such as placing both in ice, in a cup.
should read around 32 degrees farenheit very quickly.
Simple reference test should help identify which is more accurate, or if there is a delay with the digital one.
+1. I use this for calibrating my cooking thermometers. I've also found with some it depends on the range for each thermometer ie. the higher or lower the temp the farther off it is. So I do ice water and boiling water, 0c and 100c.
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote