First Planted (Low-tech) Tank - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 04-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #16
MamaFish
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

26 watts sounds high...maybe just use one? Or return them. I wouldn't run two 26 watt bulbs.
MamaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 12:18 AM   #17
foster
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

With that high of light, and no co2 you will probably encounter an algae problem. I would think one of the lights mounted in the middle of the tank would work ok!
foster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #18
thedojo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Alright guys, I switched out the two 26 watt CFL's for two 13 watt CFL's. The Tiger Barbs seem to be happy and my plants seem to all be doing well. I have two questions:
1. My substrate seems to be covered in a thin layer of brown sand, how can I get rid of this?
2. There is a white sticky "fuzz" in some sections of my tank. I have been siphoning it out when I see it, but it keeps coming back.
thedojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:20 AM   #19
thedojo
Algae Grower

One more question, from doing water changes every other day, I have been kicking up some dirt, which is to be expected. However, the dirt seems to be landing on the leaves of my swords and staying there. Is this a problem? Should I turkey baste it off, or just leave it.

EDIT: I just read that I should be incorporating emergent plants or floating plants to help combat algae. Floating plants are easy to find, but what are some good emergent plants I can use?
Old 04-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #20
MamaFish
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

1. Brown stuff is probably diatoms and is super common in new set ups. Otos eat it, and it will (supposedly, I'm still waiting) go away on its own. You can also wipe it off the glass and plants pretty easily and vacuum it out.
2. Sounds like fungus? Not sure
3. Why so many water changes? Water quality issues?
4. I would think floaters would be fine. Stem plants are also very fast growers who take in a lot of nutrients. Wisteria, anacharis, ludwigia, etc.
MamaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #21
ClandestineConfidential

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedojo View Post
Alright, just got back from home depot and bought two 5.5" clamp lights and two 26 watt 65k bulbs. I installed them on my tank, and they are very bright. Should I go back and buy the 13 watt bulbs, or are the 26 watt bulbs ok?

I also bought 4 tiger barbs for the tank. Ill upload pictures shortly.
I was recently using a similar lighting setup for a 10 gallon, just check the max watts for the light (some bulbs can be dangerous)...mine was 13w so i replaced the 26w that I was using. Now I use 2 13w spiral 6500K CFL screw-ins in place of the incandescent lights the starter tank came with.
ClandestineConfidential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #22
thedojo
Algae Grower

Alright, another question. I am currently using an AC70 or AC40 or 50, not completely sure. It's from my reef tank. Anyways, I cut the impellor down so the GPH is a lot slower than it should be. Currently all I have in it is a bag of carbon for water clarity. However, I am wondering if I should use some sort of filtration?

If so, should it be mainly mechanical filtration, or mainly biological filtration? Any help would be great.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #23
Aztecace
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFish View Post
If I were going to do it long term, I would have picked up some clamp lights (less than $10 apiece at Home Depot) and used those over my tank. I would think that for a 15, you could just use 2.

Cheap and effective.
You can get clamp lights cheaper at Walmart. About $6-7 dollars.
Aztecace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #24
James M
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good job on not going with Eco Complete or other expensive substrate - dirted tanks work well for people for years and years despite what some may tell you.
James M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #25
JohnnySJHS
Algae Grower

For the wpg rule the two 26's seems to much but theirs a lot of discussion on here on that topic. As for using one bulb in your light most of the florescent ballasts are set up as a series meaning when two light are in they are running power through both of them in a loop. A little electrician tech there lol.

Last edited by JohnnySJHS; 04-26-2013 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: Messed up on the bulb watts
JohnnySJHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #26
Absntmind
Algae Grower

For lighting never use wpg anymore as it has become obsolete. Shoot for about 20-30 par at the substrate and you should be ok. Hoppy was nice enough to put together some useful information that should help you out.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
Absntmind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #27
thedojo
Algae Grower

Alright, I have many many questions. I recently brought my fish tank home since college is over for the semester. I am now going to move my fish and plants over to a bigger 29 gallon for the summer, and then a 40 Breeder next fall. Since I am going to be using the 29 as a growout, what type of fish can I keep in it, I NEED STOCKING SUGGESTIONS!

Also,
1. I just brought back some driftwood and rocks from Wisconsin. The driftwood I plan on boiling a few times to kill off all the nasty stuff, but how should I treat the rocks? Bleach? Boil them (wont they possibly explode?) These rocks came from directly on the shoreline, so there is definitely some nasty stuff still living on them.
2. I am moving over my cycled dirt and sand from my established 15 gallon to the 29 gallon. How should I go about doing this? Should I put down a small layer of topsoil, then the established dirt/sand mixture, and then cap it off?
I plan on capping it off with some sort of black gravel. Im not sure which type since I have not been to the landscaping yard yet, but is there anything I should look out for?

If anyone has suggestions for moving dirt from one tank to another without making a huge mess, that would be greatly appreciated.

And, as stated earlier, I need stocking suggestions. This is a 29 gallon tank that will be used as a grow out tank and the inhabitants will eventually be moved into a 40 gallon breeder at the end of summer.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:15 AM   #28
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

Did someone say nerites yet?
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #29
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absntmind View Post
For lighting never use wpg anymore as it has become obsolete. Shoot for about 20-30 par at the substrate and you should be ok. Hoppy was nice enough to put together some useful information that should help you out.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368

Hoppy's thread on PAR lighting is very informative. Definitely check that out