Jake's DBP 10gal For Cories & Shrimp - Page 10
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #136
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (432/100%)

Thanks!

I think this tank is proof that one doesn't have to have major skills or tons of cash to make something look nice.

Sure, the scape would look worlds better in a high-clarity rimless tank without all the green pipes and orange end caps. But I'm in this for cheap.

Cost breakdown:

Tank: $12
Glass cover: $8
LED Fixture: $60, I think? But not necessary
Pool filter sand: $3
Wood: $5
Moss: $8
Crypts: $30
Filter: Already had the Eheim 2213 and rigid tubing but it would only be about $100 total for everything new

So it's really affordable. Even factoring in the fancy filter, fancy lighting and such. Easier to hit the goal of having a decent tank when saving up to buy everything.

Side note: People often complain about not being able to afford something for their tank. That's my favorite part of the hobby: the anticipation of saving up to eventually get something. Makes you appreciate it more once you have it in your possession.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #137
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Side note: People often complain about not being able to afford something for their tank. That's my favorite part of the hobby: the anticipation of saving up to eventually get something. Makes you appreciate it more once you have it in your possession.
Sooo true. Really nice aquarium on budget!

Unfortunately, for those of use just beginning the hobby, we can't just take plants from other tanks or use old equipment, so everything comes with shipping cost. Are those Amano Shrimp actually good at eating algae?
Old 03-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #138
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

It's a hobby. That's why - even for people who have been at this a long time - getting exactly what you want is important. Means you have to understand it, desire it and save up for it. If everything was cheap or easy to obtain, it wouldn't be as fun.

Amanos do eat some algae. I mostly keep them in tanks that have fish because they're ravenous eaters and clean up whatever doesn't get eaten by other critters in the tank. And because they look cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by assasin6547 View Post
Sooo true. Really nice aquarium on budget!

Unfortunately, for those of use just beginning the hobby, we can't just take plants from other tanks or use old equipment, so everything comes with shipping cost. Are those Amano Shrimp actually good at eating algae?
Old 04-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #139
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

During water change today, I moved some of the larger Crypts from beneath the moss nearer the front of the tank. Wanted them to get some more lighting.

Guess I'll see in a few days how things turn out. May take photos tomorrow.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:33 PM   #140
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

A little cloudy last night when I took this:

That's after moving some Crypts around. Still need to do a heavy moss trim and remove some other Crypts.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:02 AM   #141
David4039
Algae Grower

Is the only reason you got rid of the 10W led flood light because it was ugly? I was also wondering if you dose anything? Is your substrate just pool filter sand... nothing underneath? This is exactly what I want to do with a spare 10 gallon that I have. I'm only interested in keeping small corys, easy shrimp, and some gold rabbit snails in it. Great looking tank... I love seeing the updates on it.
David4039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #142
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

If you're just now starting up a tank, I encourage you to read through this thread and others.

Yes, the flood light was unattractive.

As mentioned in the thread, I don't dose anything because I only have crypts and mosses. I use homemade root tabs, however.

It's just pool filter sand. Cories and shrimp are sensitive and both love to dig around, so they'd make a mess if it were anything but pool filter sand. Malaysian Trumpet Snails would also mix any soil beneath sand and it would look nasty.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:47 AM   #143
David4039
Algae Grower

Sorry, I've actually kept tanks my whole life. I've always kept plants too (java moss, java ferns, anubias, anacharis, foxtail, floating plants...etc.) I'm just finally converting one of my ten gallons over to a heavily planted tank. I modified the original light strip and put two 18W CFLs in it. I bought Eco-Complete, because I thought that's all I would need for substrate but have learned otherwise. I've decided now to use mineralized soil caped with either the Eco-Comp or sand. I'm also searching hard for a pressurized CO2 system. CFLs aren't the most efficient and I was interested in wether the 10W led would do better for me. I don't have any way to measure the PAR and I don't really understand led lighting yet. It just seems that moss, crypts, java ferns, anubias, and a couple other plants would be a fun tank to do. I have 10 gallons worth of java moss, but I would LOVE to get my hands on some of that X-mas moss. It sells for $15 for a 2x2 mesh piece at my lfs. Too much for me to justify spending lol. Anyway... keep up the great work. I really enjoy seeing this tank.
David4039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:26 AM   #144
Turboman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Good to see the update. Is the moss taking much area away from the cory? Seams like the sand part shrinked alot. Im planning to have a cory tank but still debating a planted tank or blakcwater tank.
Turboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #145
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

The moss is several inches above the sand, so it doesn't impact bottom dwellers like Corydoras habrosus.

A note about Blackwater... all the Cories I've ever kept really seem to thrive best in planted tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboman View Post
Good to see the update. Is the moss taking much area away from the cory? Seams like the sand part shrinked alot. Im planning to have a cory tank but still debating a planted tank or blakcwater tank.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #146
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

A 10W flood light wouldn't be enough light to use with pressurized CO2. You'd want a more powerful fixture that's specifically created for planted tanks. Or use use daylight CFLs with good reflectors.

For Christmas Moss, check out the For Sale section here on the forum. Several members have it for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David4039 View Post
Sorry, I've actually kept tanks my whole life. I've always kept plants too (java moss, java ferns, anubias, anacharis, foxtail, floating plants...etc.) I'm just finally converting one of my ten gallons over to a heavily planted tank. I modified the original light strip and put two 18W CFLs in it. I bought Eco-Complete, because I thought that's all I would need for substrate but have learned otherwise. I've decided now to use mineralized soil caped with either the Eco-Comp or sand. I'm also searching hard for a pressurized CO2 system. CFLs aren't the most efficient and I was interested in wether the 10W led would do better for me. I don't have any way to measure the PAR and I don't really understand led lighting yet. It just seems that moss, crypts, java ferns, anubias, and a couple other plants would be a fun tank to do. I have 10 gallons worth of java moss, but I would LOVE to get my hands on some of that X-mas moss. It sells for $15 for a 2x2 mesh piece at my lfs. Too much for me to justify spending lol. Anyway... keep up the great work. I really enjoy seeing this tank.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #147
GreenBliss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

The moss looks amazing! I wish mine did.
2g (Snails)
11.4g (new home soon for the Pumpkin Neos)
GreenBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #148
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Thanks.

I find moss grows best in unheated tanks with decent flow. Other than those two things, it's pretty forgiving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBliss View Post
The moss looks amazing! I wish mine did.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:01 PM   #149
Neptoon'd
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I really like this set up. I just bought a 10g during Petco's $1/gal sale. It's currently empty in a closet. I bought it specifically to do a shrimp tank right, from the start. Anyway, this thread gives me lots of ideas and inspiration. I really like the cories with shrimp. I like how nicely it progressed.
Neptoon'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #150
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Earlier today, I moved something like 800 (we stopped counting at about 700) Pond Snails into a 40B from this tank.

In this case, it was the result of purposeful overfeeding. Some great looking specimens! Will have some photos sometime in the next couple days.