Shrimp Substrate (and a few other questions :) )
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 04-21-2013, 02:56 AM   #1
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (72/100%)

Shrimp Substrate (and a few other questions :) )

Hello everyone.

I'm getting closer to my project and I'm picking brains through PM but I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing for Substrate

The local Petco carries: This Which I have right now in my PFR and Wild Type tanks and they seem to be breeding and molting alright (plants seem to be doing well as well)

However the new tanks I am looking at I want to try to expand my shrimping I'm looking to get some of the OEBT, Yellows, Pumpkins RCS, and maybe something else that gets my attn. (oh my project is going to be large I've got a wall in my apt begging for fish tanks and it's in my office MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA ... but I digress)

So Substrate question. Will the petco Floramax work?
Substrate Color: I know that dark colors breed vibrant shrimp Will deep brown/red also work ?

Moving Along

I know that I will most likely be using T8 bulbs (since my setups will all be 10-15 galloners) and there's so much conflicting information about CO2 and shrimp.

Should I CO2 (I'll be growing mostly mosses and some other assorted plants in these tanks) can I use excel or CO2 booster instead? My primary goal is happy shrimp, but I also want happy vibrant plants too

Last Question

A lot of peeps I've been talking to are using sponge/air filters in their shrimp tanks. Will CO2 then be defeated and should I then use the liquid type?

Wow wall of text crit, I've been looking around and PMming a lot of people (Yall are awesome)

Any help yall can give me would be AWESOME!!!! I'm going to be placing the order for the tanks soon and the filters soon and starting to get everything around, its evolving but I want to make sure that I have things lined up
drewsuf82 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 03:06 AM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (438/100%)

Substrate doesn't "breed" vibrant shrimp. Darker colors do cause Neos - particularly red ones - to show up best.

Floramax will likely be fine. You can use any color you desire. Anything from light pool filter sand to ADA Aquasoil Amazonia.

If you're only growing moss and simple plants? Ditch the CO2. Excel can be deadly in an invert tank if used improperly, so you should use it sparingly if you think it's necessary. You'd be better off use going with plants that don't require any special care so you don't have to risk potentially harming your shrimp.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2013, 03:07 AM   #3
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

Hi and its encouraging to see all the questions posed. Its obvious you are wanting to do this right and have given this much consideration

Shrimp tanks require a certain equilibrium between the water source, the relative parameters and the native water parameters for the species of shrimp targeted.

R/O is a blank slate which requires remineralization to ideal levels

Tap may or may not be suitable to keep dwarf shrimp depending largely on the locale

If you are not after any LOW PH species like taiwan bees, simple gravel would suffice. Lets get an idea of the water parameters (PH/GH/kh) you are working with and go from there.

If you are not experienced with CO2 management in a planted tank, its likely best to avoid using it in the shrimp tank for now. High tech will bring a whole new set of problems and raise the overhead well beyond merely how to keep shrimp alive.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:11 AM   #4
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

when i had oebt i did a mix of pool filter sand and black sand that way you still have a pretty dark substrate so they stay dark but with the light color in you can still see them. my oebt got so dark they looked almost back so when i had them on fluval shrimp stratum all you would see was little orange eyes bouncing around. tiger shrimp like a nutral ph so no need to get a buffer just remember to keep the temps below 70 and you will do well with them.
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2013, 03:14 AM   #5
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (72/100%)

That's good to know about the substrate color. I wonder if it's because they stand out that they appear darker.

Awesome to know about the excel and co2...that eliminates a crap ton from my budget

So that means I can def get away with T8

------

Acity

Thanks -- yea I've had PFR and Wild types and the PFR have been like jack rabbits, I had about 10 and now I'm pushing 25-30 (they move too fast to count) I've been using tap water that's neutral across the board out of the faucet (7.5, 0, 0, 0)

As for GH/kh no one around here sells a kit or it and I've been a bit lazy about ordering online. The local fish stores/big box stores don't even test for it with water samples

As for shrimp, I know eventually I want to branch out (once I get more room) but I'm planning on ~8-10 tanks so I'm figuring that I can have a tank and then a tank to move the colors/patterns to that I don't like to grow out and see how they do...
drewsuf82 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.