Converting Red Sea max 130d to planted
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
JaggedDanger
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Converting Red Sea max 130d to planted

Hey all. A buddy gave me his Red Sea max 130d (34 gallon) reef tank setup and I plan on turning it into a planted tank. Firstly, I need to buy a circ pump. The pump that comes with it pumps 300 gallons per hour. Is this too much flow for planted? I plan on going low tech, medium density planted.
JaggedDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
JaggedDanger
Algae Grower

Bump
Old 03-13-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
IWANNAGOFAST
I see LEDs

PTrader: (33/100%)

Don't think a lot of folks on here have experience with it, but it should work out well. If you're doing low tech, you may want to take a look at the light. If it comes with a light, most likely it's way too strong since it'll be a reef light. 300gph is fine for a 34 gallon tank, might be a little weak, I'd go for a 400gph pump.
IWANNAGOFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:14 AM   #4
JaggedDanger
Algae Grower

Thanks. That was the answer I was looking for. I plan on running a 55w 6500k bulb. Finding one that fits my fixture will be the hard part.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
darthmilmo
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I just read your post. I don't have this setup, but I converted a 45 gallon salt-water tank to a planted tank. It was an old-school tank so the first thing I did was rinse it with water and vinegar to take out the salt residues. I then placed the substrate: dirt and eco-complete. I planted the tank and added the water. I do have a mechanical filter so it's technically not a true Walstad tank. I have the filter on one end and a pump for water-flow on the other side. It has grown nicely. I do have to agree with previous post, after 2 months of low growth, I bought new lights (4xT5 at 6500k range with close to 200 watts) and the plants began growing quickly. I don't have a CO2 rig, but I do add glutaraldehyde (excel) daily. I also add dry fertz (micro and macro using the PPS+ method).
darthmilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
IWANNAGOFAST
I see LEDs

PTrader: (33/100%)

If you're going to retrofit a light into the hood, you might as well go with LEDs. PC bulbs are old technology. You can go w/ something w/ similar PAR as a 55w bulb for far less wattage.
IWANNAGOFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:40 AM   #7
chansman
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaggedDanger View Post
Hey all. A buddy gave me his Red Sea max 130d (34 gallon) reef tank setup and I plan on turning it into a planted tank. Firstly, I need to buy a circ pump. The pump that comes with it pumps 300 gallons per hour. Is this too much flow for planted? I plan on going low tech, medium density planted.
Did you ever get this up and running? I have an empty RSM130 in the garage and would love to use it as f/w.
chansman is offline   Reply With Quote