Green water algae after 12 hours?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-20-2013, 04:55 AM   #1
rice n curry man
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Green water algae after 12 hours?

I just added water in my 5.5g and then I dosed with plantex, K2SO4, KH2PO4, and KNO3. I know I definitely put in too much plantex. I use a ray 2 light and have a good amount of co2 going. Could this be an algae outbreak or hopefully a bacterial bloom? I have been using the filter media for a while.
rice n curry man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 06:35 AM   #2
ClairemontTropical
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

To the best of my knowledge bacterial blooms are hazy white not green. If it were my tank I'd do a 90% percent wc and kill the lights for a few days.
ClairemontTropical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
rice n curry man
Planted Member

Ya I'm just going to shut the lights off for a little. Maybe invest in a uv sterilizer. Can the cloudiness be yeast from co2 system?
Old 04-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
ClairemontTropical
Algae Grower

Hmm not sure about that, I don't have any experience with DIY Co2. But a UV sterilizer seems unnecessary. Green water is something you should be able to free yourself of with minimal effort. If you're still having problems with it after a week or two then maybe I would consider a sterilizer. But to me it seems like your green water was simply the result of an overdose of ferts. A simple error that water changes (+ darkness) are sure to correct. Good luck!
Old 04-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClairemontTropical View Post
Hmm not sure about that, I don't have any experience with DIY Co2. But a UV sterilizer seems unnecessary. Green water is something you should be able to free yourself of with minimal effort. If you're still having problems with it after a week or two then maybe I would consider a sterilizer. But to me it seems like your green water was simply the result of an overdose of ferts. A simple error that water changes (+ darkness) are sure to correct. Good luck!
Not based on the years I've been in the hobby, a UV is a very effective tool at getting rid of green water.

Many have tried in vain for months to get rid of GW various ways.
2 most effective methods: micron filtration and UV.

Some lower light tanks: daphnia and water changes etc.
Most do not have those type of tanks.

Also common in newly set up tanks and with lots of light and weak CO2.
After using the UV, they will likely not need it again for years.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
ClairemontTropical
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Not based on the years I've been in the hobby, a UV is a very effective tool at getting rid of green water.

Many have tried in vain for months to get rid of GW various ways.
2 most effective methods: micron filtration and UV.

Some lower light tanks: daphnia and water changes etc.
Most do not have those type of tanks.

Also common in newly set up tanks and with lots of light and weak CO2.
After using the UV, they will likely not need it again for years.
So are you saying it's not possible to beat GW without a sterilizer or micron filter? Sure UV is effective but also pricey and like you said you won't use it again for years... so if it's feasible to fight GW without an investment shouldn't that be ideal?
Old 04-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
rice n curry man
Planted Member

It might make sense to get a sterilizer if you have multiple tanks. I think it has something to do with the co2 levels dropping after a yeast soln change.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #8
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

UV would kill floating algal spores and fish pathogens, might be worth using for those reasons as well as killing GW.

I had recurrent GW problems that disappeared once my biological filtration was increased a great deal. Bioballs, scrubbies, ceramic media, nothing at all and GW kept bothering me but once the big Poret sponges were in the sump no more GW. Allowing floaters and stems to completely shade the tank would rid the tank of GW but it sure took a long time, maybe a month.

If the tank was just filled could it be a bacterial bloom instead? Put some water into a white cup to see the actual color of the water.

And if the light is that low you could increase the length of time the lights are on. Some of my stems were pouting at 7 hours of light and are much happier with 8.5 and my light is fairly bright - maybe 70 units where most of the plants are. Happier the plants are the more unhappy the algae is, I would try another hour a day. If you have wisteria, some kinds of hydro or myrio they will fold the top leaves up when they are done taking in light, look for that.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #9
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
Default Green water algae after 12 hours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClairemontTropical View Post
So are you saying it's not possible to beat GW without a sterilizer or micron filter? Sure UV is effective but also pricey and like you said you won't use it again for years... so if it's feasible to fight GW without an investment shouldn't that be ideal?
In my experience I too fully agree with Tom. He is stating the best methods to rid GW. Sure you can change water until your face turns blue or black out the tank, etc, but UV and micron filters work extremely well for GW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fplata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:34 AM   #10
keithy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fplata View Post
Sure you can change water until your face turns blue
He's right don't do that.... I though I had a chance against GW until I hauled buckets after buckets of water and eventually gave up and took down my tank. I now have phobia with anything GW.