Low Tech, no co2, 10 gal planted journal - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 03-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #16
sashaz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl86 View Post
Trail and error. I remember getting into the plant hobby. Couldn't grow or keep a plant alive. Now after 3 yrs out. I started again this year with the info I have gathered over the past year and my plants are not only surviving, but they're thriving=)
kl86 That's a success story I aim for too, with my slow growing plants it'll probably take about 3 yars to see any change . Do you use CO2 ?
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 11:56 PM   #17
sashaz
Algae Grower

I was hoping to show pictures of Anubias barteri nana petite because they finally arrived from Singapore, however when I opened an envelope it was rotting and beyond saving. It was like pea puree
I had some plastic plants that looked semi-natural, so they are covering filter intake tube and standing in for A.b.n.p. I will try to buy some more locally... well, at least within States.

Here are some pictures of the way my fish tank looks now, rubber bends are holding fissidens fontanus in place until it attaches itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130308_152756.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	101442  

Name:	20130308_152709.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	101450  

Old 04-20-2013, 12:53 AM   #18
sashaz
Algae Grower

I waited until livestock arrived to post update.
So...few more plants have been purchased
this time from bobstropicalplants.com, they arrived in less then a week and were in good condition (with 3-4 Malaysian trumpet snail hitchhikers).
"Dwarf Bolbitis" possibly actual name is Edanyoa Difformis, and Nana (Anubias barteri 'Nana')

Plants that are already in the tank slowly grow new leafs. No quitters so far Marsilea seems to be the slowest, first new leaf was spotted just a week ago and that leaf is still only half way out of substrate. Few more new leafs were spotted in different places since the first one, I hope it means that plant adjusted and will start to spread faster.
Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis keeps propagating above substrate and then the whole strand gets uprooted by the current maybe the plant is reaching for mote light and that's why the stem grows upwards? I'll put a root tab in there, hopefully new rhizomes will be persuaded to stay grounded.
Java Fern ... before I write this let me clarify IT IS NOT Windelov...is growing a new leaf on top of old leaf the top of that old leaf was torn off and the edge browned, well there is a new leaf growing out of that edge now
Anubias is AWESOME! Somewhere I read that even leafless rhizome could be cut and will not only survive but each peace will grow into a plant, furthermore incisions about 1\3 deep could be made in rhizome to encourage more leafs. Method personally tested and approved.
"Dwarf Bolbitis" was placed in the way of filter outflow, hopefully some co2 from air bubbles will reach it and be enough. So far no new growth after a week In fishtank, but also no die off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20130417_131659 plant list.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	129105  

Old 04-20-2013, 02:15 AM   #19
sashaz
Algae Grower

And now about new fish and others
I've ordered 6 Red Cherry Shrimp ( Neocaridina denticulata sinensis) or CRS for short
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/my...ulata_sinensis

and 12 Chili Rasboras (Boraras brigittae )
all from http://www.franksaquarium.com/ I definitely recommend him if you have to buy fish online. He sent them this Monday and on Wednesday they were already on my doorstep. All alive,well packed, active and eager to eat and explore. As a side note when you order, contact him so he can confirm your order.

Drip acclimation went well, one chilli went all ninja and jumped in the air
In the tank it was a total bliss for them. PH around 7.2 GH 45-ish ( Yeah I got those lame 5 in 1 test strips ) no NO2 and NO3 under 20. When preforming water changes now ( nothing on weekends, siphoning on Mon 20-30%, then top offs on Friday 10%) I add dechlorinator in a bucket of tap water + exell or nutrafin plantgrow (only 1\3 of recomended dose right now, I don't want to risk loosing shrimp due to copper in both and some already in tap water. Not sure if the recomended dose is safe for CRS) + Tetra Easy Balance because our city water comes from several wells and has pH from 7.8 to 6.9, Gh varies also.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20130417_124820.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	129177  

Name:	20130417_131659.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	129185  

Old 04-20-2013, 03:19 AM   #20
sashaz
Algae Grower

Some of the personal observations, and I can't guarantee the same results for others.
Do CRS hide most of the time?
Not really, and yet I never see all 6 of them . In fact they are on the move a lot. They are funny and interesting to watch, sometimes sitting on a rock along or "fluffing" fountain moss in group of 3 out in the open. My fish can't hurm them, and lighting is low so everywhere they go It's semi-shade, I suppose they feel safe.

Are Boraras shy and timid ?
Not at all, they have no predators in my tank, and I stare at them so much they're used to it now and come right to the front.

Do Boraras Brigittae school? What level of water they prefer?
When scared they all come together in a tighter school otherwise they seem to go off and explore/hunt solo or groups of 2-3. Maybe 10 gal is small enough for them to see all their friends and not feel lonely. They are everywhere at once and each comes to top or bottom or middle, again maybe my fish tank is not deep enough to notice any preferences.

Do they like strong current?

So far its like a fun work out for them,they swim into current and *woosh let it carry them towards front glass, turn back into the current and do it again. Then they get tired and hang out on the right side where current is slower. also I'm sure I should mention that my filter spits out some yummy worms (not sure what they are, but they are small, white, free swimming and thrive on plant decay they live in filter and also in dense moss). So yeah, fish spends lots of time in the current catching them.
Are Boraras Briggitae really that iridescent red?
Males are for sure. All of my fish are bright red but some show intense Raspberry red.
Are they picky eaters?
Well, they were tank raised so they excepted regular tetra flakes. They also couldn't get enough of what was intended to be a special treat for shrimp - boiled carrot and lettuce )

Speaking of shrimp one never forgets first molting, hehe. I saw clear as glass motionless body, and panicked. Why? What have I done? But it's no fare you just got here!!!!! Did a count of moving fellows I could spot - all 6

Last edited by sashaz; 04-20-2013 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: correcting spelling
sashaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #21
sashaz
Algae Grower

Smile

I've been way too generous at feeding time in past, so this time there's a new feeding routine. Sure it takes more prep time but it's amazing just how much it saves in maintenance.
I'm pre-soaking flakes and algae wafers in wide shallow bowl till they sink (use tank water) and then with magnets lower it right into the fishtank by 3-rd day even shrimps came and now join the frenzy. It revealed to me just how much I overfeed, because when i pull it back out there are always all bunch of leftovers, at least they are not in the tank polluting water
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20130419_194641.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	129489  

Old 08-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #22
sashaz
Algae Grower

Have not updated this thread in a while. Lazy.
I also got too lazy and stopped feeding fish out of the plastic container, now looks like few fish are not fast enough and getting underfed. One fish in particular has very dull color, and is stunted in growth. Few days ago I had to net him out, He had difficulty swimming upright, it looked like a swim bladder infection, however he recovered fast in the quarantine fish tank. I'm not sure if fish can suffer from blindness, but something is wrong with this little guy, when he goes after sinking flakes, his aiming is off and it takes him few tries to actually snatch his food. Will keep him quarantined a little longer because he's so much smaller and thinner than other fish that were from the same batch as him.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:30 AM   #23
Meganne
Planted Tank Obsessed

I really enjoyed reading your progression with this tank. you really did well with your first group of fish and I think you are to hard on yourself!
I would love to see how the tank has filled in and grown since the last full picture of it.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #24
dzega
Planted Tank Enthusiast

could you update this, perhaps with pictures?
id really like to know how marsilea and microsword is doing in this tank since im considering those two for my non-co2 tank
dzega is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2013, 03:05 AM   #25
sashaz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganne View Post
I really enjoyed reading your progression with this tank. you really did well with your first group of fish and I think you are to hard on yourself!
I would love to see how the tank has filled in and grown since the last full picture of it.
Thanks for your encouraging words, they couldn't have come in a better time. Before reading this I discovered that one of my fish got tangled in a net and left out to dry RIP poor little fellow.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:51 AM   #26
sashaz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzega View Post
could you update this, perhaps with pictures?
id really like to know how marsilea and microsword is doing in this tank since im considering those two for my non-co2 tank
I love marsilea, but it is not a fast growing plant. With my lights, there are 1-2 new leaves a month from each cluster and leafs grow very tight together, so waiting for it to spread out is a major test of patience. In the shade...well... still not a single new leaf on clusters that are shaded by driftwood, but when I pulled a plant out there were 2 leaves and a new vine forming under the soil, so I guess it counts as growing I was not addind anything to help plants grow until about a month ago, when I berried a root tab from Bobs Tropicalplants.com on Marselea side, it definitely encouraged more of new leafs growing so now its 2 -3 new leaves a month...worth the wait though )
Microsword grows very well too, you will see from the pictures that most of the leaves are newer and shorter, the older leafs grow up to about inch and a half.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:08 AM   #27
sashaz
Algae Grower

Here is how things look now. Sorry about the quality and some algae growing on the glass.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20130806_172247.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	187601  

Name:	right.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	187609  

Name:	20130806_180331.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	187617  

Name:	20130806_180222.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	187625  

Name:	20130806_180408.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	187633  

Name:	log2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	187641  

Old 08-07-2013, 04:25 AM   #28
sashaz
Algae Grower

First picture: top left corner, I'm replacing fake plants that are covering filter intake with some anubias and java fern.
Third picture shows that I've planted marsilea in the front. I'm trying to see if in the shallower soil it will spend more energy growing new leafs instead of first growing roots deeper into soil.
Oops I guess that picture of lilaeopsis brasiliensis is not in a good focus
Picture #5 is a plant I really dislike now. The roots and new plants grow right out of leafs so it is always covered in brown tentacles of roots, I've actually cut most of new growth off, otherwise leafs brake off on their own (they are very brittle) and I find them stuck everywhere.
#6 fissidens fontanus grows very nice on the driftwood. Love it, no trimming needed yet.

Last edited by sashaz; 08-08-2013 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: bad grammar :)
sashaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2013, 05:59 AM   #29
Cokers
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Maybe the marsilea is growing longer roots to search for nutrients in the substrate. I know my frogbit sends out these long roots and others who use ferts have short roots. Try adding some Osmocote+ capsules of some other root tab and see if it'll get them to spread faster.

5.5 Gallon College Tank
Cokers is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #30
sashaz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokers View Post
Maybe the marsilea is growing longer roots to search for nutrients in the substrate. I know my frogbit sends out these long roots and others who use ferts have short roots. Try adding some Osmocote+ capsules of some other root tab and see if it'll get them to spread faster.
Is Osmocote safe to use? I have fish and shrimp and don't want to harm them. Berried a root tab from Bobs Tropicalplants and marsilea seams to love it, more new leafs now and their stems are twice as tall as older leafs (Maybe it's reaching for more light? now that it got more nutrients.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.