Help me with priming my first canister filter. (eheim 2217) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-19-2012, 07:40 AM   #16
BlazednSleepy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I shook it numerous time and got lots of air bubbles out. Didn't improve at all, I also noticed the little impeller shaft seemed kind off..like not dead center. So I tried moving it but it would just go right back into that position.

Really disappointed. Replacement will be here on saturday.
BlazednSleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 07:48 AM   #17
BlazednSleepy
Planted Tank Obsessed

And guys I know what the air bubbles sound like, which I knew were completely normal. This wasn't the issue. it was the MOTOR noise.
BlazednSleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #18
veggieburger

Default Eheim 2217 priming problems SOLVED

......just discovered the absolute trick to prime Eheim 2217 when cleaned & assembled properly.....and it STILL frustrates!

With pump completely assembled, running with valves open and both intake & output tubes in water.......

Prepare a garden hose with a standard power nozzle......
Remove plastic basket on intake pipe.....
Put nozzle under water and hold tightly to entrance of intake pipe......
Squirt full-force water for a few seconds into the intake pipe.....only until water exits the output tube...without air bubbles.

If you're concerned about having any untreated water enter your tank....put the output into a bucket outside the tank and then move output into tank after blasting with the hose.

Works every time!
veggieburger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2013, 12:08 AM   #19
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)

Here's what i do:
1. Shut filter off.
2. Close quick disconnect valves at output of filter
3. Disconnect the Quick disconnects from each other at the output of the filter.
4. No water should be leaking since valves were closed
5. Take the quick disconnect that is attached to the filter side (not to the tank) and slowly open it
6. water will begin siphoning from the tank into the filter assuming the filter is below tank water level. Might need to give it a man suck to get it started.
7. As teh canister fills up, air is pushed out thru the quick disconnect you just opened.
8. Eventually, water will come out
9. Now filter is primed for the moment.
10. close the valve and reconnect everything into normal operational mode
11. Turn on filter and then you can purge remaining air bubbles trapped in bio media by shaking the filter a bit, do so slowly since too much and filter may lose flow.
puopg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #20
Nami
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by puopg View Post
Here's what i do:
1. Shut filter off.
2. Close quick disconnect valves at output of filter
3. Disconnect the Quick disconnects from each other at the output of the filter.
4. No water should be leaking since valves were closed
5. Take the quick disconnect that is attached to the filter side (not to the tank) and slowly open it
6. water will begin siphoning from the tank into the filter assuming the filter is below tank water level. Might need to give it a man suck to get it started.
7. As teh canister fills up, air is pushed out thru the quick disconnect you just opened.
8. Eventually, water will come out
9. Now filter is primed for the moment.
10. close the valve and reconnect everything into normal operational mode
11. Turn on filter and then you can purge remaining air bubbles trapped in bio media by shaking the filter a bit, do so slowly since too much and filter may lose flow.
This sounds like a great strategy. I will do this next time. Thank you!
Nami is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #21
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Another way that may work if the filter is 'almost but not quite' working.

Move the outlet away from the back of the tank and lower it, holding it over a bucket. If the filter pump still cannot pump the water, suck on the outlet (I use a turkey baster) to get the water flowing. When the water is flowing without any more air bubbles, lift the outlet tube back to its proper place. (Hold a finger over it while you are lifting to stop the flow so it does not spray onto the floor)

Mostly I do vegieburgers solution with hose or fountain pump.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #22
exv152
Wannabe Guru

After you've rinse your media in tank water and you've replaced the white pad, just take a jug and fill the canister with tank water. Put the motor head back on, clamp it, open the bottom connector slightly to let any additional air out. Then reconnect it. Open the quick disconnects and plug it in immediately, that way little to no air gaps are in the system. Once it's running properly, tilt the canister side to side, until you hear all the air bubbles have escaped. The key for me is - avoid air gaps. The more air you have in the system the longer it takes to prime.
7g cube
33g iwagumi cube
75g low tech angelfish tank
exv152 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.