GLA Rimless 36-L 6g Iwagumi
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 04-18-2013, 12:05 AM   #1
DanTheGuppyMan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

GLA Rimless 36-L 6g Iwagumi

Figured I should start a thread on here on my rimless 6g build, I have a thread on another forum that has it from the beginning, I wish I could link it but I can't. I will pretty much start this in a nut case. From first decided scape to what it is currently, it is currently using DSM (dry start method) and has been for about 4 weeks now. It has a Finnex Ray II light and will have a Fluval 106. I have all of the galssware (NAG-Aqua "Music Note" diffuser, Cal Aqua Labs 13mm glass lily pipes, and Cal Aqua Labs nano drop checker) already in the tank. I will be using a 2-way manifold splitter to split the CO2 tank with my 60g and this tank once I flood it. I have ADA AquaSoil Amazonia Poweder Type as my substrate, and a white sand "riverbed" through the center. I am using some Yamaya stone and Manten stone I got from ADG and AFA, says they are ADA stones...flora is just HC and DHG Belem - I got both plants from TPT member nilocg - awesome plants man! Once I flood the tank I will stock it with some Painted Fire Red shrimp from the colony I am starting - also got these shrimps from seller rostick555 - great shrimp! I have the 106 currently on my shrimp tank, getting it cycled before I flood the tank. I plan to flood it on the 8 week mark, and at the rate the plants are growing that should work out very well. Will dose PPS-Pro ferts as I am with all my planted tanks, and thats about it I think! So, starting now I will start updating this thread too, so I hope you all enjoy

Blank canvas

Very first scape ideas...

I thought I had finally decided on this one below, until my dog ate and hid the DW from me So I ordered the Yamaya and Manten stone and made this scape!

So I ordered the Yamaya and Manten stone and made this scape! (below)

I got the plants, and planted it. Here is Day 1

And now to day 33. (took this pic on day 29 but not much has changed)

I like where it is going. I do have an issue though, I have been seeing these little tiny crawly bugs in there and some gnats, but I am concerned mostly about the little bugs...here is a pic of them. they are the tiny white dots - a fraction of the size of a single HC leaf so they are tiny!! I circled them

Does anyone know what these are and if they are a harm to my tank, and how I can get rid of them? Thanks guys! Dan
DanTheGuppyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
AguaTropical
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

I like where your tank is going! The progress may not be as quick as you'd like, but hey progress is progress.

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank
AguaTropical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #3
DanTheGuppyMan
Algae Grower

Thanks! And yeah it is going a lot faster than i thought on the contrary! Lol. People told me the DHG Belem would grow "painfully slow", but for a slow grower it is growing faster than the HC lol!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #4
dasob85
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

nice tank, can't wait to see the shrimp swimming around in there
dasob85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:39 AM   #5
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice start!

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:52 AM   #6
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Those little bugs'll go away when you fill. I think you've gotten a wonderful tank!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:05 AM   #7
melanotaenia
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

Looks good so far, I hope you have a giant CO2 tank to handle that HC carpet you got going there. Good luck with the fill!
melanotaenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:21 AM   #8
DanTheGuppyMan
Algae Grower

Thanks guys! I have a 5lb on my 60g right now that hasn't run out since I started running it in October '12 at about 3bps (should need to refill it soon though haha) and I heard you are really supposed to blast the CO2 in a tank prior to flooding after DSM since the plants will not be used to such the lack of CO2 like they had while growing emersed, so I will need a good amount of CO2 to keep both tanks going!! I may just end up doing a paintball system alone instead of splitting my 5lb tank with the 60g and this tank. Not sure.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
melanotaenia
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTheGuppyMan View Post
Thanks guys! I have a 5lb on my 60g right now that hasn't run out since I started running it in October '12 at about 3bps (should need to refill it soon though haha) and I heard you are really supposed to blast the CO2 in a tank prior to flooding after DSM since the plants will not be used to such the lack of CO2 like they had while growing emersed, so I will need a good amount of CO2 to keep both tanks going!! I may just end up doing a paintball system alone instead of splitting my 5lb tank with the 60g and this tank. Not sure.
If you do a paintball setup check on the Aquatek mini controller; it is designed for paintball tanks and works very well. Costs about 150$
melanotaenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:04 AM   #10
DanTheGuppyMan
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanotaenia View Post
If you do a paintball setup check on the Aquatek mini controller; it is designed for paintball tanks and works very well. Costs about 150$
Yeah I have an AquaTek Premium reg on my 5lb, would get a Mini reg - I find them for $79.99 though...hm. Thanks for the suggestion though! Now almost all the right side of HC is carpeted, still waiting on the left side!