Crazydaz's Square 200G RIPARIUM Strikes Back! Updated 7/1 w/Video+submersed PICS! - Page 35
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #511
Wolf19
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

What a great story daz! I'm looking forward to seeing to see the learning path I take starting up with aquariums Great motivation here.
Wolf19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #512
zzrguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Well it was a stunning tank before the move and is stunner once again.

29gal
zzrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:25 AM   #513
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

With no co2 and stellar results. I might have to make an hour drive and kidnap you for information/skills to make my tank to where Id like it.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #514
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (68/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Hi Wolf! Sorry about the delayed response back! Thank you....I'm not sure if it's a "great" story, really. It's the story of how most of us start in this hobby: from humble beginnings, we pick up the skills and knowledge necessary to keep improving on our previous experiences and set ups. Patience and persistence both play huge roles in anything, especially when you are starting out. I go back in this thread and read some of the comments regarding how the "top" of this set current set up looks so much better than the aquatic portion. My response was that they need to be patient, and that the aquatic portion needed more time to catch up to the top as I have predominantly slow-growing buces and crypts. A "long-term" scape is not a "Shake N' Bake" type of thing. It takes a bit of vision to see the potential of what the tank will look like over the course of a few months, to a year, to a few years. My last set up with this tank was a high growth stem plan, and it was easy to see new or dramatic results quickly. It was colorful, grew like mad, and required a ton of maintenance that I just don't have time for. Iwagumi tanks are created in a similar vein: the rock placement takes time, the substrate sloping takes time, but after planting with a fast carpeting species, an Iwagumi typically looks fairly polished and complete within a month or two. The same can be said about a Dutch scape or really any tank that employs the use of fast-growing carpets or stems. This current tank I have going really isn't meant to look "finished" for about another year or so, after the anubia and buces have had time to grow over more of the Seriyu stone and the top plants have had a little more time to fill in some of the gaps and spacing. And, with such low maintenance, it's much easier on my lower back!

I would suggest to anyone that before they start a new tank, consider not only what you want it to look like in the near-future, but what it's going to look like in a year after set up. How hard or easy will it be to accomplish that vision, and how often do you want to change things around? For me, I love working on my tank, but I don't like having to give it constant attention....that's what kids and spouses are for (I'm glad my wife doesn't read these posts, btw! ).

zzrguy: Thank you very much! The last two starts have been pretty successful for me, and I'm very grateful for all of the nice compliments and attention they have gotten. And duly so. Nature makes some pretty fantastic stuff, man! We're just curators.

Slammed: You are always more than welcome to swing by! However, this is a pressurized set up!! I run CO2 through a needle wheel impeller-based pump. Sorry buddy....I should be more clear.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:39 AM   #515
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
Slammed: You are always more than welcome to swing by! However, this is a pressurized set up!! I run CO2 through a needle wheel impeller-based pump. Sorry buddy....I should be more clear.
Ah I didn't read all the way through. I would love to run co2 in my big tank but cant find a way to do it with the sump without off gassing to much. If I could find a happy medium I would in a heart beat. But I may just take you up on the offer and come up next time I'm in Nashville. Therese says good things about her trip up with you and it's always nice to meet someone in the hobby as well as make a new friend.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:20 AM   #516
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Just got the pics uploaded. Just one for tonight though for now. More to follow tomorrow.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:32 AM   #517
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Default Re: Crazydaz's Square 200G RIPARIUM Strikes Back! TAKE A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE! 3/20/

Quote:
Just got the pics uploaded. Just one for tonight though for now. More to follow tomorrow.

Sexy... Enough said

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:57 AM   #518
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
....It takes a bit of vision to see the potential of what the tank will look like over the course of a few months, to a year, to a few years....

Well said Don!

There in lies the difference between a nice tank and a great one.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:11 AM   #519
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (713/100%)
Default Re: Crazydaz's Square 200G RIPARIUM Strikes Back! 4/19/13 PIC

Oh my Don... you even started to get the floating plants red... LOL!!!

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"
h4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #520
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Heh heh. Thanks Gary!! It was a nice photo out of many, many, many others that I took. I take about a hundred, and end up cutting those down to about 20-ish or so. Probably like many others here!!

Frank--Thank you! I like to think so, and I don't see it practiced in this hobby very often. With just a bit of planning, people could save themselves a lot of work and money.

Han--Some are gaining a red tint. I'm a little surprised about that myself. I think that it could also be the way the lighting is striking the Hygroryza bladders, mostly, though.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:14 PM   #521
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

More pics!

Not too much to report on.....I FINALLY got that background up behind the tank to help hide the power cords for the lights which had become such a distraction for me. I've been battling some hair algae for the past month or so, and it had me a little stumped until just recently. I believe that I'm getting an "overload" of nutrients, particularly iron, in my water column due to the "run-off" that I get when I am watering the plants on the manzy branches. I was adding old leaves/detritus from the tank onto or into the sphagnum almost as soon as the set up was complete. As that material continues to breakdown, the nutrients are available not only to the terrestrial plants, but also get wicked up into the sphagnum, and the excess is getting partially washed out into the tank. It's an educated guess, but it would make sense. I'll have to pick up the water changes a bit, and just mist the set up for a while. It's a unique problem.

Anyhow, here are a few more shots for today. I'll get the rest posted tomorrow. Thanks for looking!

Last edited by crazydaz; 04-20-2013 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: !
crazydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #522
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

Default Re: Crazydaz's Square 200G RIPARIUM Strikes Back! NEW PICS 4/20!!

Unreal is really what comes to mind it's a visually orgasmic overload... Fantastic job!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:35 AM   #523
toksyn
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

Very, very nice!

Quote:
Is the Hygrolon still working out for you? Is this it here, with the moss growth?

The Precipice | Hypoptopoma Haven
toksyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:26 AM   #524
keithy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Don,
You are indeed the master!
Old 04-21-2013, 02:36 AM   #525
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

looking fantastic crazydaz.
i had a hair algae issue in an old tank. tried upping the CO2 and decreasing my Fe dosing. didnt do squat. but then i bought 2 young SAE (granted, my tank was 20 gallons, not 200 gallons, you would need more than 2, lol) and they ate it up within 2 weeks and kept the tank clean. by the time they were old and lazy and only ate flake food, the algae was gone and didnt come back.

how are the neoregelia doing? the parent plants i got them from have both flowered by now and are sending out mad runners - the n. fireball has 4 runners growing off it, and may grow more still.
id be surprised if you arent getting any runners yet with your lighting.