My First Tank ~ 40 Breeder
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
Steezy B
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

My First Tank ~ 40 Breeder

I've been wanting a tank for a while now, and I finally have the means of getting one, this will be my journey of setting up and maintaining a planted tank.
Full Tank Shot: 5/07/13

Tank: 40G Breeder
Substrate: 1.5" MGOPM / 1.5" Spectra Quartz Sand (Black)
Filtration: Aqua Clear 110 (I want to upgrade to a canister in the future)
Lighting: Catalina Aquarium T5HO 3x39w
Flora: Undecided
Fauna: Undecided

I tried to build a stand a couple weeks ago and failed miserably. Bought one at a local LFS and stained/sealed it. I think it turned out fairly nice. I'll be adding a curtain to the front soon.

Rigged up a DIY paintball CO2 system this week. My original plan was to use 2 needle valves to help control the flow more accurately but my Lowe's didnt have the right adapter/connection.

I added Dr. Tim's nitrifying bacteria to my tank wednesday night. So far I'm very happy with this product. Its hard to see in the picture but my current parameters are:
Ammonia: 2ppm
Nitrite: .25ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm
I checked my tap waters GH and KH a week ago and they were relatively high. I plan on using RO water from LFS to help lower GH/KH. Might do 1:1 ratio first and go from there.
GH = 16dKH (285ppm)
KH = 11-12dKH (179-197ppm)

I ordered the light fixture wednesday so I'm hoping it will be here monday or tuesday. The tank is currently super dark from a mixture of: soil releasing tannins, black background, and just 1 small light fixture in my room.
I added carbon to my filter this morning to help remove the tannins, and I'll be doing a 25% water change tomorrow morning. The carbon will be removed and replaced with purigen before I add any plants or fish.

Last edited by Steezy B; 05-09-2013 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: added FTS
Steezy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
AguaTropical
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Excited to see progress for this! I'll be setting up my 40B soon, just collecting materials still.

How big is your paintball tank?

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank
AguaTropical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
kingjombeejoe
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Looks like a real nice start so far. Is that a custom made stand or a factory one? I was thinking of using a paintball tank for my 40B but I worry it might run out too quickly. We will soon find out, don't forget to add that info to your updates I'm sure a lot of us 40B beginners would like to know how it goes. Good luck with the tank.
kingjombeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #4
AguaTropical
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjombeejoe View Post
Looks like a real nice start so far. Is that a custom made stand or a factory one? I was thinking of using a paintball tank for my 40B but I worry it might run out too quickly. We will soon find out, don't forget to add that info to your updates I'm sure a lot of us 40B beginners would like to know how it goes. Good luck with the tank.
+1 on that last part

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank
Old 04-20-2013, 12:08 AM   #5
Steezy B
Algae Grower

@AquaTripical: the tank is 24oz
@kingjombeejoe: the stand was a custom order. Its hard to find a stand that would fot the 40B's blueprint; i think the stand is 38"L x 20"W. Based off the information I have read on this site a 24 oz tank should last about 4-5 months at 1 bubble a second. Refills are fairly cheap, I think the store I went to said $2 or $3, pretty good deal. Ill definitely keep everyone updated.

Information for people thinking of starting a 40B: from what I understand most light fixtures will have to be hung in order to get a full spread of light from front to back of the tank, this even applies to the ray and ray2
Old 04-20-2013, 02:25 AM   #6
plebe86
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Do u know what type of fish ur going to add to it tank
plebe86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:44 AM   #7
Steezy B
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by plebe86 View Post
Do u know what type of fish ur going to add to it tank
This is currently what I think my stocking list will be. I'm debating if the angels will be a good idea since my tank is lacking in height. Factoring in my substrate, I have 13" of vertical swimming area. I don't have any driftwood so I won't be getting the BN pleco until I find a piece I like.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #8
Kitsune_Gem
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to Kitsune_Gem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steezy B View Post
This is currently what I think my stocking list will be. I'm debating if the angels will be a good idea since my tank is lacking in height. Factoring in my substrate, I have 13" of vertical swimming area. I don't have any driftwood so I won't be getting the BN pleco until I find a piece I like.

Those cherrys will be eaten rather quickly with your list.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
AguaTropical
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steezy B View Post
I'm debating if the angels will be a good idea since my tank is lacking in height. Factoring in my substrate, I have 13" of vertical swimming area.
I'm debating the same thing haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune_Gem View Post
+1

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank
Old 04-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #10
Steezy B
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune_Gem View Post
I'm aware, but I really want cherries! My plan is to get otos, cories, and RCS first. To give the rcs some time to populate the tank and find hiding places. and then a month later slowly start introducing the cardinals, GBR's, and then the angels 2-4 months later.

My light fixture came today! I was super stoked when I heard the doorbell. I'll post some pics later

Side note: I tested my water this morning and my nitrites skyrocketed in the last 24 hours. went from .25ppm-->4-5ppm, and some how my nitrates dropped to less than 5ppm. I'm hoping nothing went wrong over the last 24 hours. I'm going to retest in a bit.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
Steezy B
Algae Grower

Quick Update: I re-tested my param tests and nitrates are actually around 40ppm.

Since my nitrites were fairly high, I did a 25% water change

The reflectors look really nice, my only gripe is the hanging brackets are super small. I definitely recommend calling catalina aquariums and placing an order

Old 05-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #12
Steezy B
Algae Grower

I haven't updated in awhile, I've been pretty busy with school and there hasn't been much tank action.

Updates:
  • I still have to find a driftwood piece I like, and after thinking about everything I don't think my tank will be set up for a couple months. I don't want to add fish until I aquascape and I can't aquascape until I buy driftwood and soak it for 1-2months. I don't know if I can be patient enough to wait, we'll see
  • I ordered a set of coralife legs for the light fixture, which are not tall enough so I will be ordering the catalina flip top legs next week.
  • I lost my api test kit chart, luckily I'm only measuring ammonia and nitrites at the moment.
  • I bought a RO/DI unit today and was able to set it up no problem. It's 100gpd, and has 6 filtration stages. I picked it up for $140 and didn't have to pay sales tax! wootwoot! Tomorrow I will be draining my tank and filling it with pure RO water. My tap water is very hard and I'll be better off using 100% RO water and raising KH with baking soda
    http://filterdirect.com/product_info...products_id=29

Old 05-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #13
Steezy B
Algae Grower

I finally got some plants today! I'll be picking more up tomorrow from a forum member, and have been messaging a few more people about some plant packages. Tank should be heavily planted by tuesday or wednesday

I could use some help on the species though...

Full Tank Shot:

Plant #1:

Plant #2: Hornwort? Are the white strings roots? If so am I supposed to cut the stems and replant where roots are?

Plant #3: Only 1 of the 5 stems is red, but its all the same species I believe

Plant #4: Are the white strings roots?

Plant #5: Guy said it was broad leaf anubia. Is this correct?
Old 05-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #14
$$mok3d
Algae Grower

I think you are correct in your assumption that the white strings are roots.
$$mok3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #15
kingjombeejoe
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I think as long as the stems below the roots are healthy you can just plant them and they will grow new roots in the substrate.
kingjombeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote