rcs not eating
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 04-15-2013, 03:59 AM   #1
mcclure91
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

rcs not eating

My red cherry shrimp i purchased a little over two weeks ago are not eating any prepared food they feed of the plants all day but I would feel better if they would go after something prepared i have tried algae wafers and shrimp pellets any suggestions on what else to try.

I have a couple otos I got at the same time and they havent touched anything prepared either but they do graze on glass and plants all day
mcclure91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 04:17 AM   #2
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Otos can be hard to switch to prepared food. If the shrimp are eating from the plants, they are getting food so I wouldn't worry about it unless they start dropping dead.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:42 AM   #3
mcclure91
Algae Grower

Thats what i figured. so no reason to buy fancy food
Old 04-15-2013, 05:07 AM   #4
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Well, I wouldn't say that. Maybe they just need something different to try. It's still a good idea IMO to supplement their food. You can try some blanched veggies like spinach, maybe check out some Repashy foods, take a look at the stuff that somewhatshocked makes and sells...all good stuff and generally very well accepted by shrimp. I know that all my shrimp have loved Repashy and somewhatshocked's (Jake's) veggie sticks. I want to try some more of his stuff soon. I also make my own food and my shrimp really pile on to it as well. I just use organic baby food, mix it all together and dehydrate it. Works great and it's cheap, like $5-6 and makes enough food to last months.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:40 AM   #5
zdnet
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Spinach as shrimp food

Spinach is shrimp's all time favorite and is probably the most nutritious food. To avoid harmful chemical, use organic spinach (a bag of organic frozen spinach lasted a long time). Drop some into boiling water for three minutes. Then take them out of the water to cool down. Drop some into the tank. Freeze the rest in a freezer bag for later use. Your shrimp will fight over the spinach. If the spinach do not sink, they were probably not boiled long enough and so some trapped air remain.
zdnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:39 AM   #6
CookieM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdnet View Post
Spinach is shrimp's all time favorite and is probably the most nutritious food. To avoid harmful chemical, use organic spinach (a bag of organic frozen spinach lasted a long time). Drop some into boiling water for three minutes. Then take them out of the water to cool down. Drop some into the tank. Freeze the rest in a freezer bag for later use. Your shrimp will fight over the spinach. If the spinach do not sink, they were probably not boiled long enough and so some trapped air remain.
3 minutes for Spinach? Last time I did that it almost turn to mush. I just watch the water until it start to turn green I dump out the spinach in cold water. Usually less than a minute.

I do boil Zucchini and Pumpkin for 3 minutes though.
CookieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:02 AM   #7
zdnet
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieM View Post
3 minutes for Spinach?

Yes, three minutes for boiling frozen spinach.

BTW, less time means the shrimp has to work harder to tear the spinach fiber apart. It may also mean the nutrients are not as readily available for digestion as the well-cooked spinach.
zdnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:47 AM   #8
jimmytruong87
I v(^o^)v shrimp

PTrader: (32/100%)

if they do not eat any thing, then i will put java moss or any moss in that tank. They will eat the thing grows on moss
jimmytruong87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
Oceangirl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

mine love moss, penny wort, and eating algae. Thank you for the suggestion of fresh food. I really wanted some real food,I could feed them.
Oceangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:51 AM   #10
mcclure91
Algae Grower

how long can you leave the veggies in the tank before you need to remove them. I know with most foods its 2-3 hours
Old 04-20-2013, 02:01 AM   #11
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdnet View Post
Kale whips spinach's butt as far as being nutritious. FAR more calcium in kale along with everything else.

I also boil baby spinach and kale for 3 minutes.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:02 AM   #12
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclure91 View Post
how long can you leave the veggies in the tank before you need to remove them. I know with most foods its 2-3 hours

I try not to leave any fresh veggies in longer than 4-6 hours. Most of the time if you feed the 'proper' amount (based on amount of shrimp, appetite, etc) it shuld be gone in 2-3 hours anyway.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:03 AM   #13
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceangirl View Post
mine love moss, penny wort, and eating algae. Thank you for the suggestion of fresh food. I really wanted some real food,I could feed them.

They don't eat moss or penny wort, it's the biofilm on it.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:15 AM   #14
sarahspins
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

IMO it can take a while for them to make enough of a dent in the biofilm in the tank that they seek out prepared foods - for mine it was easily several months, and my population had to increase by a lot (3-4 times as many shrimp as I started with). Now I drop some food in and they all swarm on it, but initially, it was like they'd completely ignore it... but it makes sense, because with fewer of them they were finding more food on their own.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:16 AM   #15
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

overfeeding may be the direct cause for lack of appetite. The other may be the lack of variety in their diet...