replanting trimmings
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 04-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
AdamC13
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

replanting trimmings

The search function once again is frustrating me to no end . I just recently trimmed my ludwigia repens and am trying to replant the trimmings but am having problems making them stay in the substrate since there is no roots. I am using black eco complete if that matters. As soon as I get them under and think all is well I pull my hand out and the water movement alone pulls them out.

I am also having similar problems with a crypt wendtii but its not a trimming just a small plant that I purchased small. I've tried using chopsticks, my hands, digging a small hole then scooping the rocks back and without fail it comes up. Am I just clumsy or is there some jedi trick i haven't read about?
AdamC13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
barefooter

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have ludwigia as well with black eco complete. I just make a small hole with my fingers, push the cuttings in, and am sure to push the substrate down afterwards. They rarely come up on me. How deep is your substrate? That can make a big difference.
barefooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
AdamC13
Algae Grower

In the vase I'm having the most problems with it is maybe 2-3 inches in the regular tank (which it is troublesome but not so much so) 2 inches
Old 04-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
Isujustice05
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I purchased one of those kits that have trimming scissors and a couple shapes of 11" long tweezers. I had the same problem until I started using the tweezers. they really make it so you can get the stem in far without making the substrate so loose that it doesn't hold. I imagine a regular set of tweezers might work just the same. good luck!
RAOK CLUB #95
Isujustice05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
AdamC13
Algae Grower

thanks! Maybe I will just bite the bullet and buy a kit some better scissors would help anyways. It seems like my betta HATES the crypt or maybe just where I put it hes ensuring that one wont stay put haha.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
Isujustice05
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

yeah the kit I have is all stainless steel comes with straight scissors, curved end scissors, straight tweezers, curved end tweezers and this double ended substrate tool all in a zip up leather bag all tools are 11 inches it was like $30 shipped on ebay and its the same set sold on a popular website for like 60-70 ish. scissors are very sharp and the whole kit is WELL worth the 30 dollars!

just get on ebay and search for "aquarium tools"
RAOK CLUB #95

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-20-2013 at 02:18 AM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
Isujustice05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

I bought a nice set of large SS tweezers from Harbor Freight for $3. No scissors, but the tweezers work wonders for planting.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2013, 02:05 AM   #8
StraightAddicted
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

I have sand substrate which is worse to get anything small to hold. I use tweezers on the bigger trimmings. On small trimmings I take off the sides of a black clamp style paperclip and use it to hold it down. It has a natural curve like the letter " n " So I put it just under substrate enough to hold and not be seen. After time you can take out. Good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.