New to the Site, A few Questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
rstewart8
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New to the Site, A few Questions

Good Afternoon everyone.

This is my first post so I wanted to say hello. I've been browsing the site and forum for a few weeks now and there are some beautiful tanks out there!

I've been keeping tropical fish on and off for over 20 years now and I'v never really had any great deal of success with a planted aquarium. I'm bound and determined to do this tank right. I have an existing 55 gallon that currently has a dozen tiger barbs and a few cory cats. I've got a couple of amazon swords that are doing okay but aren't growing to what I think is their potential.

I have determined that I have two issues:

1: Lack of light. Currently I only have the two single bulb light strips that came standard with the tank and from what I've read that is not even close to being a sufficient amount of lighting.

To rectify this I recently purchased a n aquatic life 48" t5ho light fixture with 2 x 54w bulbs. 1 is a 1x6000k and the other 1x650nm roseate.

this should give me a nice boost over what i was running previously.

2. The second issue is a lack of CO2. It seems like some of the most successful systems on her utilize a compressed co2 system and they seem to get very good results. Now, this may not be a necessity but I decided to give one a go. I purchased a milwaukee MA957 regulator assembly with a solenoid, needle valve and bubble counter. I don't like the needle valve that came with the kit so I have replaced it with a swagelok one.

I also purchased an aquamatic 1000 co2 reactor as I like the idea of having everything running outside the tank.

Question:

My question pertains to the connection of the reactor to the outlet of my Fluval 405 cannister filter. Currently it uses that ribbed tubing that they come standard with. Would I be better to scrap that tubing and use some of the larger diameter silicon tubing or can I use the ribbed tubing to connect the reactor?

My second question also pertains to the the tubing. I have an old python system that was given to me that currently sits in my garage as an extra. Can I utilize a section of this for connecting my reactor?

Any help is appreciated and thanks for having me!

Ryan
rstewart8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I just might be the last person you would want to answer a plumbing question, but if the tubing is the correct size and you use hose clamps to keep things together, why not use what you have? On the other hand, tubing can be pretty cheap to purchase.

Correct size, use hose clamps, move on. Not sure what you mean by ribbed tubing.
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Welcome to the forums! It's nice to see a new member jump right in to pressurized rather than learning the ins and outs of DIY. You just saved yourself several headaches lol.

I would leave the ribbed tubing alone in case you change your mind in the future. The vinyl tubing from the python will work just fine as long as the size is correct, if not I would just run to the hardware store rather than cannibalizing your filter. As Tom pointed out, hose clamps are NEVER a bad idea.
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
rstewart8
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks for the replies,

After tinkering with the filter lines a bit tonight I have come to the conclusion that I need to hit Rona and grab some 5/8" id tubing. I think the hose clamps are a freat idea as well and will be getting some too.

I fiddled with the Milwaukee regulator and the set up went pretty well with no major hiccups. I'm looking forward to getting this all set up in the am!

Thanks for the help
rstewart8 is offline   Reply With Quote