New shrimp tank...advice
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 04-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
JoeandCarrie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New shrimp tank...advice

So the $1 per gallon sale struck again and I ended up with a 20L, 40B, and a 55. Two will go into storage for later MTS use... I would like to make the 40B into a shrimp tank for the wife. I was able to show her Speedie's Orange Pumpkins and she was super excited. I made her think they were $50 a piece though so it will now be a surprise for her.

I asked the question regarding parameters and know that I need to be at or close to pH 8, mine pops from the tap at 7.6 so I think I will be good. All of the other tanks have been stable at 7.6 now for going on 8 months.

The questions...

I have a Fugeray LED 36" on its way... but need to look for substrate. The massive Substrate thread gave me more questions than answers. I think I want to go with a potting soil bed, but not sure how much of a cap I will need and whether it would be safe for the shrimps. The Fluval Shrimp Stratum apparently has a platinum core at $25 for an 8lb bag...

Does anyone have any recommendations for the substrate? The tank is 36"x18"x16"

I would like to plant mostly mosses, java fern, and some Anubis nana's.

I'll be ordering a large sponge filter, air pump, and a HOB to put some media in shortly.

As for fauna, the tank will house 10 or so Orange pumpkins once the tank is fully established, and a small school of glo-light(?) tetra's. The wife likes the orange lines...

Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Once all of the parts are in, I will start up a journal thread and actually take pictures this time around...

Thanks in advance if anyone has some idea's
JoeandCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

A few things you should know:
The tetras will eat young shrimp.
I'd recommend fluorite or ecocomplete as a substrate.
You will rarely if ever be able to find 10 shrimp in a tank as big as a 40B.
Don't worry about pH, neos can take nearly any pH if properly acclimated, if you want to play it safe match the conditions of your breeder's water.
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
ShortFin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

If your tank is mostly mosses, java fern, and some Anubias, I would skip the potting soil. You can skip the Fluval soil too and just use sand or any other inert substrate. Don't forget to buy a sponge to cover the HOB intake.
ShortFin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
JoeandCarrie
Algae Grower

I am looking at the stainless steel filter covers, supposed to be less clogging issues. But thanks for that, I had forgotten to add that to the list.

ix nay on the tetra's huh... hmm... the adults would be ok though right? so it would be a form of population control?

10x shrimp was more of a baseline idea, but yeah good point, it is a large tank for just 10 little guys.. will have to rethink the budget.

Will check the costs on eco. with it I figure I need 110#'s.

Thanks for the help
Old 04-12-2013, 11:33 PM   #5
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (97/100%)

I would not recommend ecocomplete, as many people have had bad experiences with it. I would not do a potting soil base and a cap for shrimp. You can get big ammonia spikes when gas release, had it crash a shrimp tank on me. Do pool filter sand, cheap and looks good. Is inert so will not change things. Your tap is probably good for neos unless it is like rain water. Test your water for PH GH KH and TDS
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #6
JoeandCarrie
Algae Grower

nuts, I don't have a TDS meter yet. its in the amazon cart... will try to order it tonight.

I don't have GH/KH tests, never worried about it before. Will have to locate a test for that.

I really want the dark bottom. will have to see if I can find the black sand. Worse comes to worse it will get all of the Eco/florite mix from one of the other tanks and I will just add 1-2 more bags of black floramax.

Thanks though, appreciate the help
Old 04-12-2013, 11:51 PM   #7
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (97/100%)

I would not use eco complete... Look for black blasting sand then, it is cheap and inert
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:31 AM   #8
JoeandCarrie
Algae Grower

Home Depot/Lowes? Will have to google that I guess.

Going to check Sutherlands for a cabinet base to use as a stand, will check there tomorrow.

Thanks,

-edit. man, I just clicked your link and had to read all of the pages. Nice shrimp racks! That black blasting sand looks to be the way to go. Should be able to put the root tabs down for a couple crypts in the back and what not.

Last edited by JoeandCarrie; 04-13-2013 at 01:09 AM.. Reason: Clicked your link
Old 04-13-2013, 01:21 AM   #9
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

one brand is black beauty blasting grit. or if you want there is always black tahitian moon sand. its aquarium sand and looks nice. do not buy strips to test the tank liquid or meter is the way to go.
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:06 AM   #10
Puddles
Suspended

PTrader: (26/100%)

I got black sand at Petsmart, I think $20 for 20 lbs, not economical but is always an option.
Puddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:16 AM   #11
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I would suggest a SS cover rather than a sponge, a determined shrimp can get past a sponge cover. You should skip the tetras, too, because a larger shrimp population is much more interesting and a 40 breeder is pretty big for only 10 shrimp. Besides, you don't want the shrimp to hide because they are constantly being harassed. For substrate you can choose any inert stuff for neos, whatever looks good. I'd go with black diamond blasting grit or Petco sand, something like that.

Do yourself a favor and get a kh gh test kit before your shrimp have molting issues.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:20 AM   #12
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (128/100%)

Menards has Black Blast. $8 for a 50 lb bag.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #13
JoeandCarrie
Algae Grower

Well, looks like black blasting grit it is.

So, equipment wise I have the following on the list.
Fugeray LED
40B standard
50lb Black blasting grit - only going to use 3" bottom worth.
TDS meter
GH/KH liquid test kit

I have been reading more about the shrimp tank setups and am seeing a lot of people doing these DIY UGF w/ PVC and "Matrix"? (I am pretty sure that is bio media".

I am thinking of building one of these and attaching it to a simple cascade or Fluval canister filter. I would then combine it with a regular sponge filter/air stone combo. What do you experts/experienced shrimpers think?

Going to start building the stand on my next break, gotta go back to work again soon so it will have to wait for the next trip back home.

With the Fugeray LED, I think I would be pushing a fair bit of light, will just java moss, java ferns, and maybe a couple other mosses (maybe xmas) be enough to use up the light? I don't want to fight algae to bad.

Toss me some thoughts. Nothing has been finalized yet other than the three tanks available.

Thanks so far
Old 04-22-2013, 02:17 AM   #14
JoeandCarrie
Algae Grower

Thoughts? Bump
Old 04-22-2013, 03:00 AM   #15
sayurasem
SCAPEr

You really want a shrimp tank? Get aquasoil Amazonia. You will not regret it trust me.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote