Assassin snail tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 04-19-2013, 03:55 AM   #1
Blackheart
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Assassin snail tank

Has anyone ever kept one of these? Or thought about doing a tank with only these guys in it?

Last edited by Blackheart; 04-19-2013 at 05:06 AM.. Reason: ....
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
manhtu

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have lots of these in my tank... I started with maybe 6 of them due to an infestation of pond snails, within a month or two. The assassin snails annihilated the other snail population. Their own numbers multiplied since my original 6. They don't require much maintenance and they'll attack any sinking food with high protein content. I also like the way they look, so having a large number of them doesn't bother me much.
manhtu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
Rbp917
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Are using assassins just replacing one type of snail population explosion with another?
Rbp917 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

In a way yes and no. The assassins eliminate most of the other snails and reproduce according to the food supply. They also naturally reproduce at a slower rate than pest snails and won't reproduce at all at times when there isn't enough food.

I hear about a lot of assassins starving to death rather than taking over a tank.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
Hmoobthor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

i start with 3 ...now i have maybe less than a dozen baby ..ranging different size..

I use it to take over my MTS..which they did a very good job...MTS almost gone but some stay hanging around to be lunch.

they live with my colony of cherry shrimp..

they grow so slow and reproduce slow but not nearly slow as my rabbit snail (all baby)
Eheim Pimp Club #506
Hmoobthor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.