New shrimps in my tank - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 04-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #16
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindavon View Post
Especially one named "killfish"
And this is exactly how I came to have a shrimp tank. Before they were all large enough to brave the community tank I had 4 berried and I'm sure before those all grow up I'll have more berried. In fact the 1st one has hatched the eggs and is berried again. Guess I'll always have a shrimp tank!

My advice...... just go with it..... enjoy your shrimp tank
The name Killifish has nothing to do with their tendencies to kill things. Most of them have the same temperment as your typical Tetra... They just have large mouths compared to body size so they can fit larger creatures in them.

Last edited by Clemsons2k; 04-19-2013 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: clarification
Clemsons2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #17
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Killifish will kill and eat any baby or juvie shrimp they can find, I would never keep shrimp in with Killi's, eventually they will become fish food.
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #18
usgetata
Loving Bee Shrimps!

PTrader: (19/100%)
Default New shrimps in my tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcarbrey View Post
Killifish will kill and eat any baby or juvie shrimp they can find, I would never keep shrimp in with Killi's, eventually they will become fish food.
They are both so cute to watch. I have my Zen moment now everyday by watching the fish tank instead of the TV. Too bad now I have to wait until the new shrimps become medium size before they can join the zen world.
usgetata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #19
etane
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/88%)

I had the same trepidations when I was dropping my juvie speedie shrimps into my tank with CPDs and Rainbow fishes.

The fishes first nipped at the juvies when introduced into the tank but left them alone immediately after that.

I don't know anything about your fishes though.

And, my shrimps did get berried a few times. I think my shrimps are on F3 now. I started with 3 blue velvets and a year later I got 8 bv/sb mutts. So, some fry were shrimp food but enough survived to sustain the line.

I am not breeding shrimps, so this works out fine for me.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #20
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

idk when i had clown killie they always stayed at the top of the tank. shrimp tend to stay close to the bottom and with moss as a cover they should be ok but you might lose babies
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #21
CherokeeNative
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

IMO, it's time to get another tank that is shrimp specific. It doesn't have to be a large tank and you will be able to watch the colony grow. I just can't bear the thought of one of my little creatures becoming fish food. Eeek. They are such peaceful creatures, they deserve a safe environment free from stress of being eaten.
CherokeeNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #22
usgetata
Loving Bee Shrimps!

PTrader: (19/100%)
Default New shrimps in my tank

For some reason my clown killifish are not typical. They never stay on the surface and swim everywhere in my tank. They go through all the plants & driftwood holes like a roller coaster. I am going to put the biggest young CBS out and see how it goes...
usgetata is online now   Reply With Quote