Setting up my first tank (6.6 petco)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
nate.e
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Setting up my first tank (6.6 petco)

I'm brand new to this hobby and may need a little help trying to get my first low tech tank going.

The tank is a petco 6.6 gallon. I've pretty much decided on keeping it as simple as possible in the beginning to eliminate too many mistakes.

For the hardscape I'm using some granite found locally. Substrate is going to be inert Black Diamond blasting sand with maybe a dusting of peatmoss (current ph is 7.6) and Osmocote plus (do i need this at this stage??)

I'm not too sure of what plants because of the light (15w single T8) and low Co2 parameters. Ive had my eye on maybe some dwarf saggitaria for a carpet foreground. Some other plants I like are Rotala rotundifolia, Bacopa Caroliniana, Java Fern and others.

Just for a side note...I would like to keep this low tech but would not be opposed to doing some cheap co2 and an upgrade to the light if it limits my plant growth.

Thanks for any help/comments in advance.
nate.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
shrimpNewbie
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Default Setting up my first tank (6.6 petco)

I love bacopa. If you're going low tech you won't need much ferts but always nice to have em under sand. The light will be fine for your needs, raise it a little bit. I'm not into many non stem plants so my opinion is starougyne Porto vehlo it will grow in low med light keep it trim
shrimpNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:51 PM   #3
nate.e
Algae Grower

I would love to use some ferts but I'm not sure if I should put it down under the black diamond or wait a couple weeks after the initial planting.

Today I picked up the black diamond, only problem is I don't know which grit it was.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:37 AM   #4
shrimpNewbie
Wannabe Guru

As long as its the bigger grit you should be okay make sure you rinse the hell out of it, put osmocote plus on the glass then cover with substrate I always put a massive amount of osmocote down along with a little peat
Old 04-19-2013, 12:38 AM   #5
shrimpNewbie
Wannabe Guru

Extra fine may not be too big a deal check it, if it is like pool filter sand you're fine if plays and like skip it
Old 04-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
nate.e
Algae Grower

I'm going to return the black diamond. I think it's the 40/80 because its almost like dust.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
nate.e
Algae Grower

How much osmocote plus do you think I should put directly on glass under the sand
Old 05-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
nate.e
Algae Grower

Here's the setup so far. Everything is good except I have an issue with the tank cycling after I added the substrate and the plants. My ammonia is at .05, 0 ppm for nO2 and 5 ppm nO3. For some reason the bacteria isn't cycling. Before the substrate and plants my ammonia was 0 ppm. I'm thinking the small amount of osmocote plus I added on the Bare tank floor is causing the ammonia spike
Old 05-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
nate.e
Algae Grower

Old 05-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #10
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Beautiful fish, and great start. Just my two cents, but I think some swords and java fern and anubias would look great.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #11
nate.e
Algae Grower

Hey thanks VJM. I'm kind of surprised how pleased I am with the initial setup (it looks much better in person) only complaint I have with the tank is that the acrylic is very easily scratched. I micro scratched with just a paper towel and windex other than that its a good setup for $50.

Unfortunately now alot of the micro sword is looking sick, along with the anubias in the corner has some leaves starting to brown. I have some Flourish excel and some flourish on the way so hopefully I can save them before they die.