SlammedDC2's (not a 55g anymore) turtle tank (new pics 2-13) - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-31-2012, 04:16 AM   #31
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

Thank you
lol mine is pretty good, she likes anubis and pothos, and of course swords. Other than that she's pretty good. She never comes out of the water, well I never see her out anyway. She was like that when she had rocks too. There are about 30 platty's that breed and quickly get cleaned up, however I think the botia may be helping with that as well. A bristle nose pleco who chews on mantz all day, and that's it. No digging problems either. She gets a few night crawlers a week, cucumber, blood worms, beef heart and I'm sure I'm missing something. I can't wait till the tank fills in (above water anyway).
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 02:38 PM   #32
eklu65
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

You're brave to put MTS in there! I'm making a planted turtle tank too, and we're considering putting in thin plastic grating between the MTS layer and the black flourite sand layer, to prevent the turtles from digging and uprooting plants. I don't think red eared sliders (I think that's what you have) do much digging, but I know they love their veggies as adults, so if they uproot some plants, the MTS might make a mess. Also, watch out! RES get pretty big, and they are definitely basking turtles. They haul out for long periods of time as adults, and will definitely enjoy a warm dry spot.

I'm making a 75g for two razorback musks, with the basking portion being outside and to the left of the tank, and a giant custom built rock wall with a cave system (for fish to hide...and because it will look cool ) leading up to the tank's rim to the basking/egg laying area. The basking/egg laying area is actually built into the stand. Sounds complicated, I know. :P I chose musk turtles because they rarely bask, and stay mostly carnivorous over their lifetime, so very limited hulk style plant destruction. Very small too, although I chose the biggest species of the genus because they look so cool.
eklu65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:32 PM   #33
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

Like I said I haven't any problems with digging, not yet anyway. She's not a RES she's some kind of painted just not sure on which sub species. I know as they get bigger they come out more and plan to have her at least moved into my 125g once she gets a few more inches of width. With all luck I'll have built a pond by then and she can have so much more room. I kind of with I hadn't gone with the MTS in this tank but it's a little late now. I think root tabs would have been enough.
I want to order another turtle around March-April. I think I want a sawback turtle this time. Either way I think she would like a friend.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:22 PM   #34
eklu65
Algae Grower

Ok, I had a feeling it was either a RES or a painted. Both are basking species, not sure on the size of a painted. Sawbacks are pretty cool! Although, another painted to make baby turtles would be pretty cool too...

I want to make a pond sometime down the road too...but I want a snapping turtle for it.
eklu65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #35
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

I don't know how much I want little turtles running around. Who knows. It all depends on what I find and what's available.

I would love to have a snapper in a pond but I have kids and I don't know if I'd want to. Who knows. I guess I'll just have to see where I'm living and how things are going. I know that I want to do a decent sized pond though.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #36
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Nice tank. I have 2 cooters in a 125gal tank with a sump. They are basking species though, so I built two basking platforms on either end of the tank for them with heatlamps and UVB bulbs above. They are such fun to watch though.

As for getting babies, most turtles usually need a nesting spot to lay and bury the eggs, so even if they do the nasty and she gets knocked up, if she can't find a nesting spot, she will drop the eggs in the water, they will eat them and that will be that. I don't want any baby turtles, so I won't provide a nesting spot. Once in a blue moon they can retain the eggs though if they don't find a nesting spot and that turns into an expensive vet bill, but that's a rare case. Usually they'll just drop them in the water.

Not sure if you're a member here, http://www.turtleforum.com but it's a great forum and was the bain of my forum time till I got shrimp and plants and found this site. lol.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #37
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

I am not a member there, and don't think I can handle any more forums lol.
The bain of my forum time before here was www.fullsizechevy.com and www.honda-tech.com
I will have to check it out though. I'm trying to think of something to do to the tank. I'm not yet happy with it. I don't know what it is or what I want yet. Kinda waiting for it to just come to me.
Do you have any pics of your tank or a link?
Old 02-01-2012, 10:09 PM   #38
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedDC2 View Post
I am not a member there, and don't think I can handle any more forums lol.
The bain of my forum time before here was www.fullsizechevy.com and www.honda-tech.com
I will have to check it out though. I'm trying to think of something to do to the tank. I'm not yet happy with it. I don't know what it is or what I want yet. Kinda waiting for it to just come to me.
Do you have any pics of your tank or a link?
I have to get some. Its pretty basic. River rocks on the bottom (which the turtles rearrange into piles on me anyways). Two basking docks made of Celuka (a pvc product that cuts like wood) 125gal tank filled more than 3/4 full, and some feeder red rosys and goldfish. I know the goldfish are going to get big and I'll give them away to someone with a pond when summer hits. I needed something to cycle the tank with and they worked good.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:54 PM   #39
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

turtle

look at the root growth

good roots on the aluminum plant too

attached the java ferns to the wood

more attached

anyone know what plant this is?

some above water growth

this one is growing like crazy

peace lily is still struggling but hanging in there.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:09 AM   #40
pb300
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Tank is still looking great! he's still just a little guy. We got ours when he was the size of a quarter and he's about 5 inches now.

If you get a heat lamp close to the driftwood in the middle I'm sure he'll come running for it. Ours darts right for his beach as soon as the light clicks on and stays there almost all day.
pb300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #41
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

Thank you
Yeah he's still pretty small. He has never really come out of the water. I've had a few different setups for him and none of them brought him out. I guess he's just more at home in the water. He'll actually be going to my buddys pond this summer after it warms up.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:04 AM   #42
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/99%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb300 View Post
The tank looks great and hopefully the turtle will allow you to keep it this way as it gets bigger.

Mine enjoys destroying anything that's put in the tank or on it's beach. It spends all day digging so it can see its reflection in the bottom glass. Plants and tank mates were all eaten and anything that is not securely attached is ripped off. Even the small gravel I siliconed down for the beach was torn off. I'm hoping this is just a phase...
destructive, but you love it
Soup12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:22 AM   #43
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/99%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedDC2 View Post
Okay I am going to start my first paludarium build this weekend.
I am going to start tearing down my old 55g and convert it for my turtle.
I am planning to do MTS capped with PFS. I'm going to attempt to plant some of it (I'm praying the turtle doesn't eat everything I put in there).

Now at the moment I am slightly stuck and how I want to build this. I have to have some way for the turtle to come out and bask but I refuse to use one of those ugly floating docks. I have thought about taking some stone and stacking and siliconing/hot glueing them to the glass and each other. I think that it will look good but not to sure how well it will work. I'll have to worry about how to clean between the rocks, and other things living between them. At the moment I am taking suggestions on what to do for a small land area.

This weekend will mainly consist of my emptying and cleaning the tank. Once that is out of the way I will start the plumbing for the 20g sump.

I'll get pics up as soon as I start.

12-18-11 FTS

1-21-12 FTS

2-12-11 FTS
did you use pool filter sand so it doesnt fly all over the place as its heavier? What about other sands such as play sand... will this work?
Soup12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #44
Aquaticz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default SlammedDC2's 55g turtle tank (new pics 2-13)

i had various species of urtltles over the last 30 years. i would highly suggest you do some research. Go to the tortoise Trust ( Andy Highfield) and take a look at a care sheet. you could also checkout turtlehomes for a care sheet. i have been on the board of directors for a number of tort/turtle orgs.. also be careful about putting in a pond. Many times tank raised turtles lack the strength and drown. Years ago I developed an exercise tank with rock outcroppings and pools of water between them. Knowing turtles are foragers I would use live food and turtles would be forced to climb.

I know it sounds crazy but I never lost a turtle going from inside to outside using this exercise tank. One other thing...release to your friends pond when the temps are at least 65-70 degres. last thing....basking site is needed.
HTH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Aquaticz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #45
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup12 View Post
did you use pool filter sand so it doesnt fly all over the place as its heavier? What about other sands such as play sand... will this work?
I used pool filter sand, never tried play sand so I couldn't say one way or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaticz View Post
i had various species of urtltles over the last 30 years. i would highly suggest you do some research. Go to the tortoise Trust ( Andy Highfield) and take a look at a care sheet. you could also checkout turtlehomes for a care sheet. i have been on the board of directors for a number of tort/turtle orgs.. also be careful about putting in a pond. Many times tank raised turtles lack the strength and drown. Years ago I developed an exercise tank with rock outcroppings and pools of water between them. Knowing turtles are foragers I would use live food and turtles would be forced to climb.

I know it sounds crazy but I never lost a turtle going from inside to outside using this exercise tank. One other thing...release to your friends pond when the temps are at least 65-70 degres. last thing....basking site is needed.
HTH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
None were released into any ponds, I've actually picked up two small yellow bellie sliders. The tank has changed a little since these pics were taken, no more underwater plants (little ones ate everything).
I do plan to home these turtles in a pond in a few years when I have a backyard big enough to dig a pond. In the mean time they will live indoors in either a tank or maybe I'll get them a 300 gallon pond and put it in the garage.
The turtles are only fed live foods (besides what they can reach out of the water from the plants). I keep feeder fish in the tank at all times, they get worms, crickets, crawfish, and every once in a while a pinky.