Big piece of driftwood, do I have to boil it?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-19-2013, 12:33 AM   #1
sacme
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Big piece of driftwood, do I have to boil it?

I have a large piece of driftwood for my 150 gallon (found at a river) and I don't know how to go about boiling it or if I should even attempt it. I have a big enough to tub to put it in but to boil water and constantly pour it in and boil another pot would take very long and be a big pain in the ***. I was wondering if it's a must to boil driftwood to leech tannins or if it's okay to just have it soak in water for a couple of weeks. Thanks for any help guys.
sacme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 12:36 AM   #2
Nami
Algae Grower

I am also interested in what people think about this.
Nami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:43 AM   #3
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)
Default Re: Big piece of driftwood, do I have to boil it?

I boil driftwood to clean it, I like tannins. I would dump yours in a tub and add some bleach or peroxide.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 04-19-2013, 12:45 AM   #4
James M
Planted Tank Obsessed

Over years I've placed large pieces of collected wood in aquariums a number of times.
I generally wash it, scrub it (to rid of as much organic matter as possible that might rot when submerged) then I simply place it in the tank. The water gets colored, and I end up changing the water more often for some time. No biggie. If you have a place to soak it for a few weeks, so much the better.

What I never have considered over many years, no would I ever, is trying to boil a large piece of wood. A herculean task to say the least with a piece like the one you're considering.

Last edited by James M; 04-19-2013 at 12:46 AM.. Reason: edit
James M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:57 AM   #5
Ashnic05
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I boiled mine in a large stew pot. Took 4 days of me flipping it over to boil the other side (long piece), rinsing out the old water, filling it back up, waiting it to boil, etc etc. Biggest PIA ever!!! I would just scrub it, soak it and be done with it.
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Ashnic05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:58 AM   #6
sacme
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M View Post
Over years I've placed large pieces of collected wood in aquariums a number of times.
I generally wash it, scrub it (to rid of as much organic matter as possible that might rot when submerged) then I simply place it in the tank. The water gets colored, and I end up changing the water more often for some time. No biggie. If you have a place to soak it for a few weeks, so much the better.

What I never have considered over many years, no would I ever, is trying to boil a large piece of wood. A herculean task to say the least with a piece like the one you're considering.
Thanks a bunch, I would have killed myself trying to boil that monstrous thing. I'm just gonna soak it for a bit, as I have the space to do so, then ill brush it as suggested and that should do it. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:05 AM   #7
Pdxbmwguy
Algae Grower

Default Big piece of driftwood, do I have to boil it?

My friend has a 50g drum that he built a fire put under for boiling large dw
Pdxbmwguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:06 AM   #8
Fishmommy
Planted Member

Default Big piece of driftwood, do I have to boil it?

In the past I have baked dw in the oven to kill bacteria.

Sent from my gadget using Trippytalk HD
Fishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:12 AM   #9
Amstar
Algae Grower

Any way to cut it to make pieces "pot sized" then after boiling silicone the pieces Bach together
Amstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:18 AM   #10
VAtanks
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I rinse the wood really well soak for a few hours in a light bleach solution, then a 24 hour soak in Prime mixed water. I let the tannins mostly leach into the tank, the purigen catches it for me, so you only see a slight tint. I have done this to both Mopani and Malaysian driftwood. I would assume though if you harvest wood from outside your house and not a pet store boiling would be a good idea, Turkey fryer would work good, boil it some flush the pot with a garden hose, boil wash rinse and repeat until water is clear.
VAtanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:21 AM   #11
James M
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amstar View Post
Any way to cut it to make pieces "pot sized" then after boiling silicone the pieces Bach together
No

You can try to Beethoven them apart first, the Bach them together.
It will never work - don't do it.
James M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:30 AM   #12
sacme
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAtanks View Post
I rinse the wood really well soak for a few hours in a light bleach solution, then a 24 hour soak in Prime mixed water. I let the tannins mostly leach into the tank, the purigen catches it for me, so you only see a slight tint. I have done this to both Mopani and Malaysian driftwood. I would assume though if you harvest wood from outside your house and not a pet store boiling would be a good idea, Turkey fryer would work good, boil it some flush the pot with a garden hose, boil wash rinse and repeat until water is clear.
What's your take on just having it in a large canister like thing with really hot water, but not boiling? Will that still do the trick? I do have a turkey fryer but the driftwood is really quite big and won't fit in it. Would having it really hot water work? or if you have any other suggestions. Thanks for the help
Old 04-19-2013, 03:07 AM   #13
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Not to scare anyone, but this is water from boiling Mopani:

OVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:15 AM   #14
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

The boiling helps leach out tannins, but mostly it's to sterilize the wood. Soaking it in a light bleach solution (rinse well!) will serve to sterilize it as well, if not better than boiling.

While plenty of folks have just rinsed off wild-collected wood and plants and popped 'em in their tanks without problems before (me included), I've got a tank in permanent quarantine conditions since the addition of wild-collected plants brought something into the tank that kills EVERY type of snail within days of their being added to the tank---pond, rams, MTS, nerite, you name it.

And despite all my precautions (entirely separate equipment, sterilizing tools etc), it appears to have made it's way into several of my other tanks. I had to completely break down and sterilize several planted vases--tossing all the plants, substrate and stock in 'em--and am seeing repeated bouts of die-offs of certain snail types in my community tank.
Knotyoureality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #15
sacme
Planted Member

<p>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotyoureality View Post
The boiling helps leach out tannins, but mostly it's to sterilize the wood. Soaking it in a light bleach solution (rinse well!) will serve to sterilize it as well, if not better than boiling. </p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>While plenty of folks have just rinsed off wild-collected wood and plants and popped 'em in their tanks without problems before (me included), I've got a tank in permanent quarantine conditions since the addition of wild-collected plants brought something into the tank that kills EVERY type of snail within days of their being added to the tank---pond, rams, MTS, nerite, you name it. </p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>And despite all my precautions (entirely separate equipment, sterilizing tools etc), it appears to have made it's way into several of my other tanks. I had to completely break down and sterilize several planted vases--tossing all the plants, substrate and stock in 'em--and am seeing repeated bouts of die-offs of certain snail types in my community tank.
</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Alright, what do you mean by light bleach solution, like how much bleach per gallon/litre. Does this do any harm to the driftwood? I recently boiled some of my driftwood for 3 hours and had only a slight if any discolaration in the water. Is this good or bad?</p>