Aquaclear biomax - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 04-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #16
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefStatic View Post
Isn't putting in ammonia remover counter-productive? Shouldn't the BB be able to handle this?
It's exactly that, bypassing the issue, and counter active to their bacteria colony. Actually damages their colony by removing it's food source, plus those removers like zeolite are really only effective for a week like carbon is, and just creates buildups of toxicity in their tanks. It's one of those you dont need products, as a lot of the use's i see people use purigen for.
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #17
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefStatic View Post
Curious, what exactly is in the input chamber of your AC?

Isn't putting in ammonia remover counter-productive? Shouldn't the BB be able to handle this? What exactly is Purigen?
the chamber on the left. where you wouldn't normally put media.

the plants should soak up ammonia more so than BB,but in a lightly planted tank...

purigen supposedly absorbs organic compounds.
dprais1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #18
kingjombeejoe
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticLifeStyle View Post
It's exactly that, bypassing the issue, and counter active to their bacteria colony. Actually damages their colony by removing it's food source, plus those removers like zeolite are really only effective for a week like carbon is, and just creates buildups of toxicity in their tanks. It's one of those you dont need products, as a lot of the use's i see people use purigen for.
The only reason the ammonia remover is in there is due to the fact I just planted a lot of emersed grown clippings and I am expecting a lot of die off due to the transition. I usually keep an extra biomax bag in there for cycling new filters, which is why I suggested putting biomax in that spot not ammonia remover. If you notice the purigen is the last thing the water goes through before leaving the filter just to remove any discoloration (which it does a great job) caused by the wood in the tank so the biomedia isnt affected by it. Everyone has different reasons for what they use and how they use it, this is just what I do, all I wanted to do was show another place you can put media not tell you what to use.
kingjombeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 12:18 AM   #19
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (69/100%)

The nice thing about planted tanks is the plants themselves are very effective biological and chemical filters, which means you CAN get away without having any of that media in a filter at all and still have a healthy tank. I always recommend that people focus primarily on mechanical filtration when customizing their own filter media, as debris buildup is one of the biggest problems in a planted tank as it contributes to algae problems.

Myself, I like redundancy, so though I emphasize mechanical media in my own filters (I'm also a huge fan of sponges b/c they're so easy to clean and re-use), I also incorporate lots of ceramic biomedia as well as Purigen.

So... yeah, use the biomax if you want, but you don't have to. Personally, I would.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:26 AM   #20
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

What I do: first layer of filtration (mechanical) is the fluval edge prefilter. This prefilter sponge has smaller holes than the AC block sponge. Having that said you have all the room in the HOB with anything you want to fill. For me I use purigen 100ml bag (bottom layer) then I use seachem matrix for the rest of the space.

The only downside to this is the prefilter sponge need to be cleaned every week.

And unfortunately I don't think HOB can remove nitrates because the whole HOB is heavily oxygenated. The only filter I can think that can remove nitrate is canister because of the vacuum inside and the lack of oxygen in the canister.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.