Ember Tetra question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 04-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
ClairemontTropical
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Ember Tetra question

Hello PT fish experts, nano noob here. I have had 4 ember Tetra's in my planted 6 gallon Fluval Edge for a little over a week now and absolutely love them... I just have a question about some strange behavior I noticed last night. Two of the Ember's were apparently in some sort of a mating dance with the smaller one (male I assume?) chasing the larger (female?) around the tank. Eventually the female gave up running and settled under my small magfloat. Then they would get closer and closer until one or both would do a quick barrel roll and immediately thereafter a bunch of tiny white (eggs?) would be floating around them. Then the female would eat one or more of these unidentified objects with the rest getting stuck in my prefilter sponge. They did this 5 or more times from what I saw.

I have never seen this type of thing in all my years of fish keeping, though it IS my first time keeping Embers. Do I have breeding Embers? And if so, do I have any shot of raising fry? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!
ClairemontTropical is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

are they new?

Many times with schooling fish there is a pecking order. This might be what is being established
Old 04-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

If something was coming out into the water I'd bet on it being mating. The barrel roll meneuver sounds mating like as well
Old 04-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
ClairemontTropical
Algae Grower

msawdey - yes they are new (7 days to be exact) but how would pecking order explain the white egg-looking things emerging?

Clemsons2k - Woo hoo!! Thanks for the info! (crossing my fingers that you're right )
Old 04-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

yep they were mating and they hard part will be to keep them from eating fry when they hatch unless you move the adults out for a while and let the babies grow. now if you have alot of plants it is possible for a few to make it. i found 3 columbian tetra babies in my 55 where i had a school of 17 adult tetras and 6 adult angels so its amazing any made it.
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

haha.. im an idiot.. didnt read that part guilt as charged....
Old 04-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

If you want them to breed successfully, and you'd really like to raise the fry, it can be a bit tricky but can be done quite successfully.
First you'd need to have another cycled tank ready, where you can place the parents after the spawning, and the other two adult embers.

You mentioned your tank was planted - what kind of substrate do you have ?
If it's larger pieces of gravel that would permit the eggs to drop into small openings in the substrate, that would be good.

I'd suggest you lower the water level in your tank to hust a few inches, no more than 3" or 4" - then when they breed and the male has fertilized the dropping eggs - there is little opportunity for the parents to gobble up the eggs before they drop into crevices of the substrate.
You'd then want to remove the adults to another tank, to allow the eggs to hatch.

I've had good success doing this with a couple of varieties of tetras - except that I used a single layer of marbles in the bottom of the tank, where the eggs could easily drop between, and be completely out of reach of the egg-eating adults.

Your embers obviously like the water conditions in your tank to encourage them to start breeding, so don't change anything besides lowering the water level.
Good luck to you.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #8
ClairemontTropical
Algae Grower

I really do appreciate the info guys, thanks!

wicca27- I do have a 30 gallon planted to put the adults in but I'm not sure the Embers would be safe with my blue rams and apisto pair (also houses cardinals & amanos). The plants in my 6 gallon are all pretty tiny cyrpts and ferns probably not ideal hiding spots, though I do have rocks and driftwood for the fry to hide in/under.

discuspaul - I'm using Flourite, would that be large enough for the eggs to drop in between? I don't understand why to lower water level though? Sorry to be stubborn I just love the look of the Edge when it's all the way filled up.

And that's good to know the Ember's are liking the water parameters, I started with RODI water and do 50/50; RODI & treated tap, at water changes. Your tetra breeding insight is just what I was looking for, thanks again!
Old 04-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
ClairemontTropical
Algae Grower

msawdey - you're not an idiot lol! sorry for writing a novel I would have skimmed through it too
Old 04-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #10
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClairemontTropical View Post
I really do appreciate the info guys, thanks!

wicca27- I do have a 30 gallon planted to put the adults in but I'm not sure the Embers would be safe with my blue rams and apisto pair (also houses cardinals & amanos). The plants in my 6 gallon are all pretty tiny cyrpts and ferns probably not ideal hiding spots, though I do have rocks and driftwood for the fry to hide in/under.

discuspaul - I'm using Flourite, would that be large enough for the eggs to drop in between? I don't understand why to lower water level though? Sorry to be stubborn I just love the look of the Edge when it's all the way filled up.

And that's good to know the Ember's are liking the water parameters, I started with RODI water and do 50/50; RODI & treated tap, at water changes. Your tetra breeding insight is just what I was looking for, thanks again!
Not sure if the flourite has enough space between particles for the eggs to drop between them and become hidden, so to speak. Understand where I'm coming from ? - e.g. coarse gravel would be good for the eggs to drop into & more or less disappear - in flourite perhaps they would just lay on top, where the adults could scoop them up.

You lower the water level to give the spawning pair very little time & space to maneuver/swim down to get at the eggs after they've been dropped, and before they reach the substrate - most would fall quickly into the substrate before the adults could get a chance to get to them. If you left the tank full, it would take more time for the eggs to fall to the bottom, thus allowing the adults lots of time & space to get at them before they reached the bottom of the tank. Got it ?

Last edited by discuspaul; 04-18-2013 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: corrections
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #11
ClairemontTropical
Algae Grower

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
You lower the water level to give the spawning pair very little time & space to maneuver/swim down to get at the eggs after they've been dropped, and before they reach the substrate - most would fall quickly into the substrate before the adults could get a chance to get to them. If you left the tank full, it would take more time for the eggs to fall to the bottom, thus allowing the adults lots of time & space to get at them before they reached the bottom of the tank. Got it ?
Got it.