Lighting a 72G Bowfront
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
jkaber
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lighting a 72G Bowfront

I have an established 72G Bowfront. My tank is densly planted, mostly with swords but I do have a good size section of Java Fern and Anubius. I use just about every Seachem fertillizer suppliment, have pressurized CO2, and most plants even pearl. The swords send off runners and multiply at the base all the time. Even the Anubius flowers.

My lighting is just a basic Coralife (2) T-5, 48", 54W, fixture with Geismann 5,000 and 5,600 K bulbs. I'm replacing the fixture because I'm experiencing reduced bulb life. I think because the fixture overheats without a cooling fan. My new fixture will be (4) T-5, 48" with cooling fans.

My big question is should I use all (4) bulbs at the same time and see if my plants do even better? Should I just run (2) bulbs at a time so I can get get better tank coverage (ie 2 front bulbs for 5 hours and 2 back bulbs for 5 hours). OR should I do a hybrid approach where I use 2 bulbs for about half a day, all 4 bulbs for an hour or 2 at noon, and then the other 2 bulbs for the last half of the day.
jkaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
Pdxbmwguy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Lighting a 72G Bowfront

2 bulbs at a time will be plenty any more and things get complicated.
Pdxbmwguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
owens81jw
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

I have a 3x54 watt T5 from Catalina aquarium , I use 2 bulbs 6 hrs n all three 3 for 3hrs
owens81jw is offline   Reply With Quote