Lighting for 90 gallon help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
Tiffany

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lighting for 90 gallon help

The tank is 23" high. It has two Philips 32 watt flouresent bulbs that are 47" long, the light fixture itself has silver reflectors built in. My goal is to try my first low light, no fert, no co2 planted tank. I know I like crypts, vals, rotala, not sure what else yet. For the set up I'm wanting to try, what kind of bulbs do I need to buy? Our lfs couldn't help me because they don't sell bulbs as long as mine are. So I joined here hoping to get help. If I can buy them at a hardware/home improvement store inexpensively that would be nice.
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
Tiffany

Help... I read the pinned info and lots of other articles and still don't understand what kind of lights to get. If you need more info on my tank I can give it. I don't know where else to ask for help. Thanks...
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
scubasmac
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Almost any bulb color will grow plants...typically people use the 6500K bulbs that can be found at the local home improvement store...just be sure to get the 32 watt bulbs that match your fixture.
If you could get 2 more of those bulbs for a total of 4 would be a good start on low light. Search for the diamond plate fixture at Home Depot for a inexpensive alternative.
scubasmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah stick with 5500-10,000K for the best plant growth and fish color's 6500K is close to natural daylight.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_154515-371-29566_0__ Should work fine.

Bakshi references are always cool!
Imi Statue is offline   Reply With Quote