Betta Problem?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 04-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
Scyry
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Betta Problem?

My betta has always been really active and will do his dance anytime I'm in the room. The past few days he comes up to the front when I first show up, but then he sinks to the bottom and stays there. He generally perches on a leaf, and stays upright. He seems to sink as soon as he stops moving his fin, like maybe he has an issue with his air bladder. Nothing has been introduced to his tank since he has been in it, and I've had him probably 6 months. He is still a pig, and otherwise seems fine.

Should I be worried? Any idea of what the issue could be?

Mr.Aqua 7.5 Gallon Cube
2.5 Gallon Aqueon Bowfront
Scyry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

when he swims, is he diagonally positioned? meaning to go horizontally, does he need to swim forward and UP to counteract his weight? if so, its a swimbladder issue. this can often be temporary from overfeeding and bloating.
if not he is just lazy, like many many bettas, particularly after they are a year old.
one of mine spend all of his time floating in the front corner, another one likes to lay down on his side on the moss, etc. they generally like to do nothing.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
ChadKruger
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have a beta I rescued that does all kinds of silly stuff. I have a small power head on one side of my tank to keep water moving. Its pointed downish and at the tank wall. Well he will swim around the other side of the tank go above the power head then dive into the current. It'll shoot him across the tank and spin him around. He will repeat this for 30 mins or so then go to calm part of the tank lay down on some java moss and hang out for a couple hours. Then goes back to it.
ChadKruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:49 AM   #4
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Do you have a heater? What is his tank temp?
Old 04-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
Scyry
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

He is in a 2.5 gallon, with a small internal filter and heater (set at 78). The tank gets weekly water changes. He has always been active and running around the tank when I was in the room. He seemed to sleep on top of the filter or behind the rocks.

When he is swimming, he is upright like normal, and he'll dart nose up as usual to get food when I drop it in.

I'm going for the overfeed as a guess as to what is affecting him. My wife feed him last night, and she gave him probably 10 pieces of food. I normally give him 2 or 3. She feed him most of last week, I was out of town for work.

Thanks for the help though.

Mr.Aqua 7.5 Gallon Cube
2.5 Gallon Aqueon Bowfront
Scyry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
ValMM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM

It may be from overfeeding. Put him back on his prior routine, if after a few days he continues to be lazy but he seems the same otherwise he may be bored.

You could try putting a mirror near the tank for a short period of time to stimulate him and get him to exercise. Other people have floated bottle caps on the water for their bettas to chase.