Having trouble with an Aquatek co2 setup
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 04-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

Having trouble with an Aquatek co2 setup

We bought an Aquatek setup off of a local reef forum which included the Aquatek premium regulator with solenoid, bubble counter, and a 20 pound tank. I'm using a ceramic diffuser with it. It's set up on a 135 gallon tank with a low bps (maybe 2-3), but I've had some issues with it. First it does not stay consistent at all. Sometimes it slows down, sometimes it speeds up. It's usually pretty gradual like over the course of a few days. The other day though it was almost a steady stream with no gradual increase. It was fine one time I looked at the tank and a steady stream the next.

The second issue is with the gauges. The tank gauge is fine with a reading of about 850psi. The working gauge though is showing zero. I know it's not blown because I've seen it higher than that. Turning the flow adjustment nut has no affect on it. I thought maybe the tank was running low which I think would account for the massive bps increase (end of tank dump) and the low working pressure, but since the tank pressure gauge is at 850 I'm not sure.

Any ideas? I know the Aquateks aren't the best but for $140 I thought we were still getting a pretty good deal.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)
Default Re: Having trouble with an Aquatek co2 setup

Sounds like the WP gauge is not working, otherwise you would not see any bubbles in the counter nor from the diffuser. Drifting bubble count is another bad news. I would contact the seller and ask for explanations. Failing that, Aquatek is our sponsor and I would give them a call.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 04-18-2013, 01:00 AM   #3
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

It does not sound like your CO2 cylinder is empty (since your high pressure gauge is still indicating 850 PSI (assuming it is working correctly!))

Have you tried to adjust (increase) the delivery pressure? This can be accomplished by the large nut that is on the front of the regulator.

If you are sure your low pressure gauge is working, then your unstable bubble rate may be fixed by increasing the delivery pressure.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:32 AM   #4
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes, I've tried adjusting both the large nut on the front and the small one (sorry I'm a co2 noob, going by the names from Aquatek they're the working pressure adjustment nut and the flow adjustment nut, respectively). Neither has an affect on the gauge, but the large one affects the bps. It's very touchy. A very small adjustment, as in less than an 1/8th of a turn, goes from 2 bps to a steady stream. At this point is it safe to assume that the working pressure gauge is blown?

Thanks OVT, I hadn't even realized they were a sponsor.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:56 AM   #5
coldmantis
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have a similar but different problem with this kit. On mines what ever pressure I set it to (low pressure) it will slowly drop and continue to drop for about 8 secs and then go back to what it was set originally. Very frustrating, for example if I set it to 30psi it will stay there for like 2 secs then slow drop to like 22psi then back again and repeat, this is not good since your bubble will change..... Like the OP said not what I expected for the price I payed, I contacted Aquatek for a RMA but well I'm in canada and to spend another 30 bucks to send it back will just add on to this "value co2 regular cost" and there is no guarantee that it won't happen again.

coldmantis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:18 AM   #6
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

^ You talking about the paintball one or the normal one?
FlyingHellFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:42 AM   #7
coldmantis
Algae Grower

normal

coldmantis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
exv152
Wannabe Guru

For a $140 investment, I'd say you got your money's worth in the 20 lbs cylinder alone, maybe it's time for a new and bettter regulator. I'm sure the working pressure gauge is toast. It's important to close the working pressure completely when connecting the regulator for the first time to the cylinder. Not saying for sure, but that might be the case here.
7g cube
33g iwagumi cube
75g low tech angelfish tank
exv152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #9
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the help guys, I think I might have figured it out. I had been afraid to turn the front knob too much because it did seem so touchy, but this morning I just went for it because the bps was way up again and what happens? The working pressure goes up. I have it now just under 30psi. D'oh! Hopefully that keeps the bubble count steady now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exv152 View Post
For a $140 investment, I'd say you got your money's worth in the 20 lbs cylinder alone, maybe it's time for a new and bettter regulator. I'm sure the working pressure gauge is toast. It's important to close the working pressure completely when connecting the regulator for the first time to the cylinder. Not saying for sure, but that might be the case here.
If I continue to have trouble I probably will just keep the cylinder and get a GLA setup since I like my paintball one so much. Hopefully I won't have to now though. *knocks on wood*
Old 04-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #10
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksmom View Post
Thanks for the help guys, I think I might have figured it out. I had been afraid to turn the front knob too much because it did seem so touchy, but this morning I just went for it because the bps was way up again and what happens? The working pressure goes up. I have it now just under 30psi. D'oh! Hopefully that keeps the bubble count steady now
Glad you got it figured out.

The "large front knob" is meant for very coarse adjustment (just to set your working pressure). Having it set at ~30 PSI is good.

The fine control knob (most likely a needle valve?) should be used to control your bubble rate. You should only be using this one for controlling your flow rate.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Glad you got it figured out.

The "large front knob" is meant for very coarse adjustment (just to set your working pressure). Having it set at ~30 PSI is good.

The fine control knob (most likely a needle valve?) should be used to control your bubble rate. You should only be using this one for controlling your flow rate.
I don't know how, but even after reading the directions I somehow had it backwards. On an unrelated note (I think) my timer I had it set on just quit working. I went to check on the bubble rate and it wasn't doing anything. After plugging it in without the timer it works fine again. Just a coincidence hopefully.