How does one know if 'PRL' are actually legit PRL? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 04-17-2013, 10:49 PM   #16
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Well this sucks then.
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 11:13 PM   #17
chou
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

you should feel good knowing this info.. shouldn't suck unless you already ordered them.
chou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:23 AM   #18
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

purelines supposedly have golden's bred out of their lineage... though its sort of like saying a certain trait will no longer appear in future generations...

Purelines also imply Deeper whites and richer red or black coloring but certainly not guaranteed as even culling occur on Pureline level shrimp.

Do not be swayed by the term pureline unless you are dealing with a reputable retail source where their credibility affects business. In general practice, know that the very best shrimp are usually kept in country and rarely exported. when they are exported, they demand top dollar..... most do not go for prices under $100....
Old 04-18-2013, 03:58 AM   #19
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

COULD you, then, theoretically make your own PRL line if you bread them for long enough, culling out not-so-nice colors and goldens?
Old 04-18-2013, 04:20 AM   #20
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by assasin6547 View Post
COULD you, then, theoretically make your own PRL line if you bread them for long enough, culling out not-so-nice colors and goldens?
yes you can. A guy name Kangshiang has done it with spectacular results and APB has their own brand now too
Bananariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:22 AM   #21
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

theoretically yes... but lets walk through the process and add some color to the topic.

If the colony started with 10 shrimp, those are likely all siblings and the color and quality, no matter the rate of culling, would be guaranteed to diminish over the following generations.

To circumvent this natural degradation from inbreeding, new stock is added over time. This would be contrary to the PRL practice of breeding as the genetics from the newly added stock cannot be guaranteed not to carry the golden gene...

The only way to successfully create a line is to have a stock of 100+ shrimp where multiple strains can be bred in parallel and be comingled over the generations to reinforce the desirable qualities...

Even this practice is not without compromise. Ever wonder why SSS grade shrimp can never have 100% SSS grade offspring or where SSS shrimp are generally sourced? So now this leads to the topic that shrimp offspring generally do not breed true in likeness to their parents...

This goes back to the premise that high quality specimens will command a premium price.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #22
Puddles
Suspended

PTrader: (26/100%)
Default How does one know if 'PRL' are actually legit PRL?

That wouldn't actually be a prl line though because it possibly had a Snow White bred into the line in the past
Puddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #23
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If I were to do that I would maintain and cull 4 separate tanks, then swap babies every now and then to prevent inbreeding. It'll probably take a really long time, so I don't plan on doing that anytime soon.